Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: Steyr/ Mannlicher Schoenauer GK rifle collectors in South Africa?

There is a 30-06 Mannlicher Schoenauer coming up for sale shortly. If someone is interested in acquiring this rifle, I will be uploading photos and a description of the Mannlicher Schoenauer 30-06.

Hi Gert- what year / model is the rifle.
    ps enjoyed the article on the knife. I see you got the photo credit!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
    Hi Gert- what year / model is the rifle.
    ps enjoyed the article on the knife. I see you got the photo credit!
    Dirtbuster, I will see the owner tomorrow, he has other rifles as well he wants to sell. Not one of his sons seems to be interesting in taking over the rifles from him. I will get back to you in this regard. Yes, MC Heunis really wrote excellent articles about aspects of the 1880 Era Black powder hunts on Weltevreden....I think taking photos is one of the aspects I really like while doing these hunts

Hi Gert sent you a PM.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbuster View Post
    Hi Gert sent you a PM.
    Thank you , replied with an e-mail...

Picked up a very interesting Wesley Richard's mannilcher at the classic arms auction this weekend. It is marked as .256 express . It has the mannlicher rotary mag but no butter knife bolt.a real gem of a rifle. Couldn't resist....

Good day Sarel,
    I was reading your chat with Gert and Stefan way back in 2014 regarding Mannlicher Schoenauer Rifles. I have inherited a 7x57 model from my late father some 15 years ago and he in turn inherited it from my grandfather. I was having trouble getting historical info regarding this specific weapon and I made contact with Steyr Mannlicher in Austria. After sending a few pics and explaining my request, this is the response that I got: Dear Sirs,

yes, as I guessed you have a wonderful MANNLICHER-SCHÖNAUER rifle in your hands.
    Because of the low serial number I estimate the rifle to be manufactured between
    1912 – 1938. Unfortunately all records got lost in WW II due heavy bombing of the factory.

Anyhow, production started again in the 1950’s…and this model was discontinued
    in the late 60’….it was a cpmletely hand assembled and hand polished rifle.
    Open the bolt and with bolt open pull the trigger and move the rifle downward….the
    Bolt will close itself because everything was so smooth…

Regards
    Oliver BAUER
    Chief Export Compliance Officer - CCO
    International Sales Manager
    Member of the Austrian C.I.P. Delegation.

What is quite confusing to me is the trigger on my rifle. It does not have the hair trigger as most other similar models do. Also engraved on the barrel is "R.Muller, Cape Town". I believe that Mr Muller was the sole agent for many different makes of fire arms in SA. I'm not sure when his company started operating and if indeed he would have imported a rifle so old? Will you be able to assist? Can I attach some photos for you and what precisely would you like to see? There is a scope mounted on the front of the receiver and this covers some info. I suppose I could take it off but the rifle is extremely true and I'd rather not mess around with the scope.

User

Jimmy, see if you can get some info from this page???
    http://www.mannlicher.org/newsletters

Hi Gert. Thanks for the link. I will certainly make some inquiries there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Dobson View Post
    Hi Gert. Thanks for the link. I will certainly make some inquiries there.
    Hi Jimmy. Firstly Ineed to apologize for not responding to your request.My mid-year new years resolution is to bemore active on this site.
    What a useless response form te factory! I assume they cant be blamed, having lost allinfo due to the war, however one should think that they might have someone withenough interest to do research, hence having more info.Nevertheless, it is up to us as collectors toassist each other.Please mail me somepictures with all relevant info that you can find.Firstly make sure that the barrel is theoriginal.This you can deterimin bylooking if the punch mark on the barrel lines up with the punch mark on thereceiver.Should the barrel not havesuch a punch mark, than you know that it is not a factory fit.
    Regards
    Sarel:
    sarel.ccs@gmail.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5