Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: Charcoal making : the process

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Captain Hook, good day to you.
    Difference between two processes:
    I used two 44 galon drums..the bottom drum with lid is where the charcoal (wood) burns in..the top drum (after burner ) to minimise smoke..put lid on drum when wood burned through to cut the oxygen..charcoal form since it smolders..this charcoal was exposed to oxygen..and impurities..direct fire onto wood...to turn to charcoal..

New method: wood burns /smolders process is started when a fire is burning at the outside of the concealed drum with the wood inside the drum..gasses /tar that escapes from the wood circulates through the burner inside the drum to keep the fire burning ..charcoal is not exposed to impurities/oxygen/ect..the charcoal is formed in a chamber without oxygen when burning..pure charcoal....activated charcoal..can be used as a filtering component, medicine and compos enhancer as well as in color case hardening processes when doing gunsmith work..
    This is pretty much how i make charcoal. just in smaller quantities. I use a 5l paint can with a hole poked in the top. Chuck this into a fire and let all the volitiles burn off. When the flame stops at the vent hole the charcoal is done.

Activated charcoal have a tremendous surface area. It is really good for filtering and absorbing stuff due to things being caught in the tiny holes that makes up the surface of Activated carbon.
    I basic way to make a semi activated carbon is like the Jack Daniels distillers do. They burn piles of Maple and then spray it with water. The water turns to steam on contact and expands the charcoal.

Apart from being a great filtering medium. AC is useful for treating poisoning and also biological stomach infections. Our digestive tract can't absorb charcoal so it passes through without issue.

User

The Beast , thank you for the reply. Here are a few photos of the burner so far...
    The Burner:

The inner drum, where the wood will be burning..

Inside of inner drum:

Inner drum in the big drum:

Some cutting needed to be done:

Will upload photos of the completed set up...

User

Update:
    Members I completed this project today. I will do the first burn tomorrow. Here are photos of the process.
    Mixing the termite mount soil and grass clippings to function as an isolating material..( cellphone photos)

Filling up between the two drums to isolate the heat in the inner drum.

The wood burning vent:

Filling completed, burning the dampness away that is still in the mixture..

Swiveling makes it easier to operate ...

It is not on top..it is inside..

User

The Charcoal burner is action today, it will take some time for all the moisture in the mixture to burn off, then it will burn faster and at higher temperatures...

User

Update: I made changes to my charcoal making set up..I believe I found the best way to make high quality charcoal ...I made the first batch yesterday and will convert my drums to suite this new method to make excellent charcoal..will upload photos tomorrow...

Banned

Looking forward to it

User

I did burn the first batch of charcoal in the new charcoal furnace , it really produced high quality charcoal. I did another batch today and will take a look tomorrow and take some photos . Next week will be more time for me to take photos of the whole process . This will give you an idea of how to build a similar charcoal burner and success is definitely ensured....it is easy to build this type of charcoal burner..the advantage is that the wood in the charcoal drum does not come into contact with any oxygen during the burning process and the gasses escaping from the charcoal drum feed the fire that is burning under the drum..so you use less wood to burn the charcoal...

User

I have completed my experiments regarding the best method to make high quality charcoal without oxidation. I will be converting the first charcoal burner into the new burner this week...
    I will be building a charcoal burner that will burn extremely high temperatures ,using the gasses from the wood inside the inner drum only..not much wood is used for the fire then.. some photos of the experiment:

User

The new charcoal burner will have a permanent chimney as well...here are a few photos of my Koekoek /Venda free ranging chickens...

High quality charcoal ..just what I need for my forging work...I will be using Kameeldoring hout and olien hout for my charcoal making to forge at higher temperatures

My Koekoek Rooster...

Some Koekoek off spring...

Venda/koekoek offspring:

User

Made some charcoal today, it really is high quality charcoal..I will be converting my system next week..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5