Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Charcoal making : the process

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Awesome

What size should the wood be, we have tons of black wattle on the farm
    PDH, I would suggest you cut the black wattle branches the same length as high as the 210 lt drum or at least 200mm shorter to make space for the fire you start on top of the wood.
    Make sure you use branches not thicker than 50mm it will burn economically and handle better when spacing it in the drum.
    you can pack it as tight as possible..take a look at the photos, there are slits( holes) grind-ed in near the bottom of the reactor( drum with wood ) and slits grind in at the bottom of the after burner drum..as well..remember the fire is burning from the top down to the bottom to get to the oxygen that is coming from the bottom...you can manipulate the process by closing the bottom slits with sand so the flames will move to the other side of the drum ...

User

Awesome

I will be coming to Cape Town in the new year..if you want I can come and give you a hand..there is another method you can do this on bigger scale to get some income for the farm and rid your farm from invasive plants...the container you use is larger than the 210 lt drums and extremely effective..you only need four farm workers to run the whole process...
    PDH here is a link that will give you all the detail to start..

Thanks for the idea Gert I wonder if downscaling would also work. Let's say 20/25 liter steel drums ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Thanks for the idea Gert I wonder if downscaling would also work. Let's say 20/25 liter steel drums ?
    Killzone, definitely , it will work and you will get good quality charcoal..the most important aspect is cutting off all oxygen when you decide to stop the burn...

Thanks a lot

User

Thanks for the thread Gert, and all the other great informative posts you have put up, I have a mate whose farm is covered 60 percent by black wattle and he has guys that come and cut and sell the wood, I reckon this could up his income from that quite a bit!

User

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneGlock23 View Post
    Thanks for the thread Gert, and all the other great informative posts you have put up, I have a mate whose farm is covered 60 percent by black wattle and he has guys that come and cut and sell the wood, I reckon this could up his income from that quite a bit!
    Definitly Eugene, he needs to ask the cutting crew to cut and pack the wood in one by one meter cubicles..the wood needs to be as dry as possible..by using the afterbuner method he really will cut down on the abundant smoke creating by the normal charcoal burning ovens used normally...there are always a market for charcoal products..since it is an expensive product to buy in shops..but extremely easy to make yourself...Eugene, thank you for the kind words it is much appreciated..I believe we all have a duty to share knowledge ...and inspire people to participate in bettering themselves by accumulating knowledge..anybody can learn from everybody..

User

Awesome

Close friend of mine(read; very close friend) makes charcoal for a living. He has three big. Big "ovens"(warehouse size) for the production. When he goes out looking for wood to cut, he looks almost exclusively for black wattle. And he manufactures for two very well know commercial brands.

User

I am of the opinion that charcoal making is the best method to eradicate invasive plants when you are able to work with the " Work for water " organization..they supply you with a product to paint onto the trees that will kill the tree as well.
    Meanwhile you get an income as well, creating a job or two ...and make charcoal for your forge..it is a win , win scenario all the way.

Charcoal is one of those products always in demand especially in our country where we always are looking for a reason to braai...

I am contemplating a "cooler " build where you can use charcoal as well ...it is a very old concept used by our forefathers to keep meat/edibles cold...charcoal is prominent in the build...

A water filter is another use for charcoal..there are many uses for a simple product like charcoal...It really would be great if members chimed in and build charcoal burners( down scaled as well) on different concepts...

The concept above is a top to bottom burner..a safe method to keep all the heat/flames in a drum..

Bottom to top burners are retaliative save if the environment around the burners is cleared from grass/wood material or combustible substances ....

User

Hi Gert,
    The "cooler" you are talking about. If you are talking about an old kole koeler like you get on the farm, that black stuff in there is not charcoal. Its a porous volcanic rock. Unless we are not thinking of the same cooler.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast