Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Hijacking victim defends himself successfully

Hi there

I have just survived my third attempted hijacking, the first event took placein late 2009, the second event in January 2010 at around 19H30(
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?10650-Greetings-to-all/page2) and my most recent (please God I hope my last...) on Monday 9th November at 13H00! The last two could have been avoided by religiously sticking to thebasics and security protocols.

This is what transpired on a hot Monday afternoon outside a land lordsresidential property:

Got into my motor vehicle and withdrew my Beretta 85F 9mm short from my “Smart Carry” crotch holster, placing it under my left thigh (this is how I always drive).

I left the officeat around 12:40 PM for my 13:00 PM Kew appointment.I happened to see my employers driving past me on the Linksfield Bridge and waved to them as I prepared to take the off-ramp onto the N3 north.

I arrived at my destination in Kew at 12:50 PM in preparation for my 13:00 PM appointment.

I parked outside (bigmistake) directly opposite the entrance of my clients residential property gate, facing east on 2nd Road.

At around 13:00 PM, I decided to park insidethe property (this is what I should have done like so many times before).

A white Honda Jazz, two generations old, came to a sudden halt on the right side of my car, approximately a car length in front of me.

I was already heightened and alarmed by this rather out of place and suspicious event and in a split second, prepared for the worse.

My side arm with one round up and safety off was already in play (I had eight Winchester BlackTalons and one in the chamber).

Of the three occupants that exited the Honda Jazz, one of them drew and pointed his pistol at me and yelled. I instinctively fired three times at him through my windscreen, as I believed I had no time to exit my vehicle for feet on the street confrontation.

They immediately refrained from their attempt to hijack me and hurriedly got back into their carthat was by now speeding away. One of them was running in a strained manner after the fleeing Honda Jazz (found out that I had successfully shot oneof these SOB's).

By then I had then exited my vehicle (twisted my ankle in the process) and delivered another three shots times in the direction of their fleeing vehicle and the one miserable SOB that was trying to get in to the getaway Jazz. In that processI shot out their rear windscreen.

I stopped shooting at them as I knew I had only three rounds left (spare magazine was in my shoulder satchel) plus I did not want to hit any innocent bystanders (a primary school was around the corner less than 300 meters away).

The owner’s gardener had already sensed that something was not right when he heard thestaccato of gun shots; I think he may have alerted ADT security.

After the shooting, I thought it wise to park my car behind driveway gate of the rental property I was preparing or a client.

I called my employer to inform him of the situation and shortly afterwards the owner and their son who both reside on either side of their rental property.

In between thevarious calls to and from clients, I met with ADT security who had reported the shooting to the flying squad from Bramley.

My client arrivedand despite the developing situation, insisted on viewing the property!

Eventually more than a half a dozen heavily armed SAPS vehicles arrived and they were immediately briefed and quickly made their way off to see if they could track the criminals in their getaway vehicle in and around the area.

I was debriefed over the next two hours by a seasoned district Captain from Bramley policestation and a very able constable and his sergeant.

It was determined that forensics and finger printing was not necessary, as the hijackers did notlay a hand or a print on my car.

The three spent cartridges from my pistol was marked on the road, the remaining three empty cases was still inside of my car.

They eventually collected all the empty cartridges and I was asked to hand my pistol overtogether with my licence for inspection, I complied.

I was then informed that a gun shot victim was received at Tembisa's emergency ward.

I was politely asked if I could go and identify the gun shot suspect that matched my description. I left my car at the property as the screen was shot out.

I complied and made a long and very uncomfortable trip to Tembisa hospital in the Captains unmarked VW Polo.

We arrived at the emergency ward and was I was immediately asked to identify the gun shot patient.

I could not immediately identify the man as I was not in the best frame of mind, as one can imagine. Adding to my surreal experience, I witnessed the never ending stream of torn and bloodied patients. I have never seen so much blood and literal guts in one place; I thought I was in a war zone. Even the veteran sergeant with 23 years under the belt, commented that it deeply disturbs him every time he sets foot in Tembisa or even worse, Baragwanath hospital!

The Captain and constable went away to cross examine the patients girlfriend for about 45 minutes and came back with positive news that she was lying and had caught her out (defeating the ends of justice).

To add insult to emotional injury, the 25 year old gun shot patient had managed to sneak outfrom the emergency ward and we eventually found a bloody saline solution bag that he tossed on the floor. They say he still had a bullet lodged in his left shoulder/chest area.

We tried to look for him and canvassed the surrounding interior and exterior of the hospital, but to no avail, he vanished. It seems that there were witnesses who stated that they saw him exit the hospital with two or three other men (possibly the same crew who unsuccessfully tried to hijack me). The Captain blasted the sergeant for allowing the suspect to escape.

They cuffed the so called girlfriend on the spot and for the next 30 minutes or so, pressured her for further information in the back of a marked police van. She made a startling remark that further implicated her involvement, when she said that if she gives them up, "they" would kill her.

We left the hospital at around 18:00 PM and made a harrowing and nerve wracking drive to the police station. We almost collided with various taxis and trucks along theway. By then I was not feeling so "lekker" as playing bumper cars athigh speed is not my idea of fun!

Eventually got to the police station for further debriefing and my statement was concluded, attempted hijacking involving a firearm. It seems that my attempted carhijacking fit the profile and modus operandi of a known syndicate operating inthe Alexandra area where a woman is used to drop off a team off hijackers; I'm thinking that this rather young woman was fourth hijacker in the driver’s seat.

They placed the female suspect in a cell and taunted her. She cried and tried to talk to me,but I elected to ignore her. The Captain, with renewed vigour, said that he was going to further interrogate (soften her up…) for the purpose of handing her over to the hard core division of serious and violent crimes.

I was eventually taken to a more private investigation office and spoke to the head of ballistics and forensics on the phone, who carefully explained how they would process my firearm for ballistics testing. With the aid and understanding of the Captain, I managed to retain my firearm.

The Captain offered to drive me back to Kew where my car was kept at the scene of the shooting, but I politely declined as I had already made plans for my employer to pick me up.

I am absolutely amazed at the dedication and passion of the police in their efforts to capture the suspects, bar the fact that one of them let the suspect escape from the hospital (hmmm). I was told by the police that it is only a matter of time before they arrest these hijackers as they now had a suspect that they could work on.

I was relieved and grateful when I saw my employer and my brother at the station. A cup of coffee and a chocolate bar that they gave me was demolished in less than thirty seconds, thank you guys...

Eventually got home and to my surprise my parents were there to support me.

To all my family, friends, colleagues and clients, thank you for your support so far.

I'm so glad to have survived. Thank you heavenly father for looking after me...

Legally owning a firearm does not guarantee a positive outcome when the"kak" hits the fan. Familiarity with my sidearm,maintenance and training had a lot to do with walking away with out a scratch. Adhering to security protocols, common sense and avoiding potential "hotspots" is also key. Constantly reading body language is also helpful and also being positively paranoid. Having said all of this, I let my attention slip and ignored what I have done for so long i.e. I should have parked my vehicle in the instant I arrived at the property, in 2010 I should have reversed into my garage instead of nose first. Even though these two simple measures were ignored, I believe I had enough reaction awareness and training to stop the hijackings from escalating in favour of the bad guys.

I have decided to also seek counselling as my emotions and spirit resemblemy bullet riddled wind screen...

I will not surrender my weapon
    I will always maintain my weapon
    I will keep on training with my weapon
    I will always carry my weapon on me at all times
    I will
    now carry my spare magazine on my person

User

Default Re: Hijacking victim defends himself successfully

Well done

Well done , you came away unscathed and that's all that really counts! Glad you are OK.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Well done, glad it ended good given the circumstances. Your feedback on SAPS is certainly encouraging.

Don't know if you went for some counselling on your previous run-ins. Please do so now in any event. Don't want you to end up with PTSD or some such.

User

Well done on the foiled attempt. Still carrying Black Talons? Thought they were 10+ years old?

User

Sheesh buddy. Hectic story but we'll done for having the warrior spirit and fighting mindset. I'm sure everyone will agree that we could only wish to have your courage should we ever find ourselves in such a situation.

Good on you for surviving it and thanks for sharing it. Glad to see that the SAPS played their part and more importantly did not antagonise a law abiding citizen for protecting himself against the scum of society.

User

Hi neilh,

Thank you for your comments.

I have a box of 50 black talons, minus the six rounds I used on that deafening day and less a magazine full of test rounds when I bought them about a 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Alive & Kicking View Post
    Hi neilh,

Thank you for your comments.

I have a box of 50 black talons, minus the six rounds I used on that deafening day and less a magazine full of test rounds when I bought them about a 2 years ago.
    He should have a nice hole in his shoulder that festers, so perhaps they will pick him up later.

Wtf didn't they handcuff him to the bed??

Just one point. If you sit on your weapon whilst driving, it may end up flying around on the floor if you are in an accident.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Glad you came you on top.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Well done. Good to hear of a successful story.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast