Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default SMG PET LOADS ???

I recently acquired a DM4 9mm Para built on the AR platform

I know that SMG's in general were designed with relatively warmish ball ammo in mind.

I've tried all my Favorite "go to" handgun loads, namely with Frontier CMJ 124, 135 and 147 grain bullets, using both MS200 and S121.

They seem to work Okay but when compared to the several hundred S&B Factory (115 gr FMJ) rounds that I have put through it recently, my fav handloads seem rather uninspiring.

My DM seems to prefer, what we in handgun terms would refer to as "snappy"

Now I dont have any "snappy" ammo in my little hoard and my idea of sharing one load across the board, (we have 6 x 9 mils) is becoming unrealistic as the 9mm family grows.

So Im seeking assistance with the following:
    Preferably from those of you who actually load for their 9mm SMG's or have intimate knowledge on the subject.

1. Which bullet weight is preferred for 9mm SMG's, ? 115 / 124 /135 /147
    2. With the longer than normal pistol length barrels, what is your preferred powder of choice
    3. If willing, I would love to hear which SMG you have and what is your pet load for it, ie Bullet type/shape and weight, Power choice and charge, and COL. What velocity are you getting from your loads etc

I will of course, use all given information with caution, starting below and working up etc

All assistance will be greatly appreciated and will save me much time and huge amounts of cash

Thank you

User

Default Re: SMG PET LOADS ???

Cuan

BXP and Uzi: 125gr Accucast; 4.5gr MP200; COL 29mm. Factors 135 out of the Shadow, havent cronod from smg's yet, but function flawlessly.

I can give you some Hirtenberger SMG ammo to test if you like. Maybe cronie and see what the 123g projectiles do out of your gun and calculate a load going backward.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

That's the issue with all gas-driven 9mm SMGs. Any kind of delayed blowback system is hungry for gas. PMP 'can' supply High Pressure ammo specifically for this purpose...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Not gas driven. Straight blowback like just about all 9mm uppers including Colt. Does not really need hot loads. Hot loads will likely just punish the hammer pin and hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSheerGuns View Post
    Not gas driven. Straight blowback like just about all 9mm uppers including Colt. Does not really need hot loads. Hot loads will likely just punish the hammer pin and hammer.
    To add to this bear in mind that the AR was not designed to be a straight blow back. Colt itself has gone gone through various modifications to solve the broken pin issue with its blowback 9mm ar.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSheerGuns View Post
    OK, so is it a case of 'running it in'?
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Paul it will certainly seem so. I've put just over 2000 rounds through her and I can feel it's loosening up a bit.

User

To add. I'm not having any issues with extraction. But it will seem that if there is not enough oomph, then the bolt doesn't compress the recoil buffer spring enough to generate enought forward momentum to reliably chamber a round. The s&b factory ammo runs like a dream and one can feel the difference. I will load a new batch with less conservative amounts of powder.
    But I must still decide on a bullet weight.
    I'm thinking 124gr may be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Paul it will certainly seem so. I've put just over 2000 rounds through her and I can feel it's loosening up a bit.
    Thank god for context...
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast