Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default CZ 527 - .223Rem

Hi All,

I have been plagued by day dreams and delusions of grandeur after seeing one of these rifles and subsequently digesting any literature regarding it and its counterparts. I always loved the .223Rem caliber and I am really curious to hear if anyone has owned/does own a CZ 527 in the .223Rem, or similar?

What are your opinions, where did you buy the rifle and, if you are willing to share, for how much?

Regards, RuanP.

Default Re: CZ 527 - .223Rem

Cant help with the 223 part. But I bought myself the CZ527 Lux in 22 Hornet.
    And so far love it. Especially since it has the set trigger if you want to use it.
    Removable 5 shot magazine. Although mags are a bit pricey. But the built quality is very good.
    And its a nice compact well balanced rifle.

In the old days CZ and Brno was the same. Well I believe so as the old Brno 22lr's was called CZ and Brno.
    But you now get Brno an CZ rifles.

Friend of mine bought a new the Brno 22lr about 4 months ago. And then spent another +1500 to have the trigger done.
    Only to have issues with light strikes that the gunsmith is working out.

Where for the 1500 he could have from the start bought the CZ models with the set trigger system.

User

Hi Ruan

I bought a CZ 527 Varmint 4 months ago, at Zimbi in Pta, think I paid about R14000, still waiting for the Lic.

I wanted a rifle for target shooting (100m) and varmint (guinea fowl, baboon and warthog)
    The 223 is very accurate, economical and regularly available, hence my reason for choosing it. (Bought some 80 gr Berger VLD match x100 for R420 this weekend, that's cheap if you are reloading)
    Why I chose a .223 CZ 527 Varmint:
    1:9 twist (for heavier bullets)
    Cold Hammer Forged Barrel
    Mini Mauser Action
    Standard Match/Hair trigger
    Good looking stock (doesn't have that bulge on the stock like other CZ's)
    and the fact that it has a reputation at the European Championship of Combined Game Shooting.

User

Hi Ruan,

I have a Brno ZKK601 in .223Rem. I bought it so that my wife could join me on the shooting range and also as a light weight rifle for hunting springbok in the Karoo on days when the wind does not blow. It also allows me lots of practice time with a center fire rifle as it is not too expensive to shoot and also it has virtually no recoil at all. It is accurate if you do your part. I reload for this rifle and if you take your time and pay attention to the details during case prep then you will have no difficulty in reloading and finding an accurate load for your rifle. As for the CZ/Brno, I like the fact that you have a copy of a mini Mauser action. The rifles are reliable, well balanced and if you look after it, it will last you a life time. On some new rifles the action seems a bit rough, but it does get smoother the more you use it.

Imho you cannot go wrong with a CZ 527 in a .223Rem

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arthur007 View Post
    Hi Ruan,

I have a Brno ZKK601 in .223Rem. I bought it so that my wife could join me on the shooting range and also as a light weight rifle for hunting springbok in the Karoo on days when the wind does not blow. It also allows me lots of practice time with a center fire rifle as it is not too expensive to shoot and also it has virtually no recoil at all. It is accurate if you do your part. I reload for this rifle and if you take your time and pay attention to the details during case prep then you will have no difficulty in reloading and finding an accurate load for your rifle. As for the CZ/Brno, I like the fact that you have a copy of a mini Mauser action. The rifles are reliable, well balanced and if you look after it, it will last you a life time. On some new rifles the action seems a bit rough, but it does get smoother the more you use it.

Imho you cannot go wrong with a CZ 527 in a .223Rem
    +1

User

Hi Guys, I, too, was looking at the CZ .223 purely for sport shooting out to a max of 200 metres. I have had my .22 Brno for 25 odd years now and it still shoots true. With my limited experience in rifles, I was advised to rather look at a .308 Howa. But having read the above, I think Cz 223 it will be.

User

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the informative replies. I really value first hand experience over just reading a spec sheet. I have my heart set on the CZ 527 Varmint with the walnut stock. I was never much of a laminate fan. Although the full stock version is a thing of beauty. Does anyone have some experience with full stock rifles?

I also want to use the rifle, if I decide to get it, for sport shooting. Then the occasional baboon hunt in the mountains of the eastern cape where my parents farm, maybe some pringbok and southern mountain reedbuck too. I have an old 7x57 and a .22 Mag, both Anschutz, that I inherited and am waiting on an answer from the CFR for the lic approval. I think with a .22 Mag, .223 Rem and a 7x57 I will have a pretty well rounded outfit.

diehellislos

I have all the reloading equipment for my 7x57, my dad has a Mini 14 .223 Rem for which I already reload for. Only problem is that the flippin thing throws cases into the grass with reckless abandon and I have been really struggling to get the thing to group. So yes, long story short, I will be reloading if I get the 527. Thanks for the info, I did not relise it had a set trigger.

arthur007

Where did you get the ZZK601 from? I first was eyeing a BRNO .22Hornet, then stumbled on the CZ 527. I don't mind a chunky action, at least I know its strong and reliable.

User

Hi Ruan,

sounds like you will have a great combination of rifles. I hope that you will get approval soon on the .22mag and the 7x57.
    I bought the ZZK601 new at Savuti about 2 years ago. It was one of those lucky finds. I will post a pic a bit later tonight if a get a chance.
    I was also never a fan of a laminate stock, preferring the more traditional wooden stocks, that was until I saw the ZZK601 that I bought. It was fitted with a laminate stock in a pepper blue I think it is called. It was love at first sight. I fitted a 6-18x44 Redfield telescope to round things off.

User
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Hi Ruan, just thought I would share. Sorry for the poor quality.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast