Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Recommend me some good value for money earmuffs (passive or electronic)

So while I was at S&O last week fetching my firearm I was browsing through some of the various makes and models of earmuffs and since Christmas is around the corner I thought I could drop since hints with the wife.

Now the sales gentlemen tried to give me some pointers and recommended some of his "personal favourites" however being a relative newbie I'm very weary of the sales trap so I thought I first get some opinions from the GunSite community.

I therefore have a few questions:

1) As a newbie what good passive earmuffs (brand/model) would you guys recommend and what can I (or my wife) expect to pay?
    2) Should I even bother with electric earmuffs at this early stage?
    3) The S&O salesman indicated that entry-level electronic earmuffs would set me back anything between R1000 and R1500. What's the best electronic earmuffs in that price range and which shop is the cheapest?

User

Default Re: Recommend me some good value for money earmuffs (passive or electronic)

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller View Post
    So while I was at S&O last week fetching my firearm I was browsing through some of the various makes and models of earmuffs and since Christmas is around the corner I thought I could drop since hints with the wife.

Now the sales gentlemen tried to give me some pointers and recommended some of his "personal favourites" however being a relative newbie I'm very weary of the sales trap so I thought I first get some opinions from the GunSite community.

I therefore have a few questions:

1) As a newbie what good passive earmuffs (brand/model) would you guys recommend and what can I (or my wife) expect to pay?
    2) Should I even bother with electric earmuffs at this early stage?
    3) The S&O salesman indicated that entry-level electronic earmuffs would set me back anything between R1000 and R1500. What's the best electronic earmuffs in that price range and which shop is the cheapest?
    Go electronic, you will regret going with passives if you have the money to buy electronic.

It is easier to communicate on the range and you are less likely to take them off. If you keep on taking earmuffs off you are guaranteed to have a gun go off nearby

Stick with Peltor, MSA and Howard.

I personally only use Peltor earmuffs

Banned

Default Re: Recommend me some good value for money earmuffs (passive or electronic)

Whatever you decide on, test them out while wearing your protective eyewear. The best earmuff in the world is useless if it can't form a proper seal.

User

What pdh said. I also use the Peltor earmuffs and they are a joy to shoot with. I sometimes forget that I have them on after a session at the range!

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

I use both the electronic and passive.

Very happy with both.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

I wish someone told me earlier in my shooting career to get proper hearing protection. My hearing has definitely declined due to crappy hearing protection!I now use Howard Leight's.

Get the Peltor Bullseye 1 (you get up to 3). Good quality product. Passive muffs. And Rescomp had them on sale for R560ish cant exactly remember how much when I helped my friend source these exact muffs. I also have and use a set.

User

Hearing and sight are two of those things that you can only loose once, protect it well. Cheap earmuffs are cheap for a reason. The MSA Pro muffs in conjunction with gel ear pads are probably best bang for your buck in terms of electronics, Peltor Tac Sport are more expensive, but of the highest quality. I personally run moulded in ear CENS units. Even the passive unit is far superior to some of the electronic units out there in terms of still being able to hear normal conversation and filtering the loud noises.

The CENS digital is the ultimate, but makes the Peltors look cheap in comparison.

Benefit of moulded inear is definitelyfelt during summer time when the over ear units basically serve as a brick oven for your ears

User

Quote Originally Posted by racingfreak View Post
    Hearing and sight are two of those things that you can only loose once, protect it well. Cheap earmuffs are cheap for a reason. The MSA Pro muffs in conjunction with gel ear pads are probably best bang for your buck in terms of electronics, Peltor Tac Sport are more expensive, but of the highest quality. I personally run moulded in ear CENS units. Even the passive unit is far superior to some of the electronic units out there in terms of still being able to hear normal conversation and filtering the loud noises.

The CENS digital is the ultimate, but makes the Peltors look cheap in comparison.

Benefit of moulded inear is definitelyfelt during summer time when the over ear units basically serve as a brick oven for your ears
    This, and +1 for CENS earpro. I use the passives and they are super comfortable.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast