Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Looking for some wisdom...

I am still very new to the whole bow hunting thing, but I am the kind of person that does a lot of research before I make my decisions. I prefer to understand things before I jump into them.

I am preparing myself and my gear to go bow hunting next season. I would prefer to be as prepared as I can be, so I am practising as much as I can and I am tweaking my gear to find the best setup for myself. I have a Bowtech Assassin Black Ops edition, Ripcord fall-away arrow rest, Ultra Lite Octane stabiliser, Apex 3 pin sight and Scott release. The bow is currently set at 60 pounds, but I want to push it up to 70 as soon as I am comfortable with my technique. The draw-length according to my height was set at 29,5 inches, but I later found that I am more comfortable and accurate at 30 inches. I must admit that if I do not concentrate fully on my technique or if I get too tired I sometimes get a slight string slap. I see it as a good thing, because it reminds me that I did something wrong and then I can correct it with my next arrow. Might just be wishful thinking though…

Any insights on the next few matters would be awesome..

I have six FMJ arrows (not certain of their full weight yet) and ten Carbon Core Stalkers. I want to re-fletch the FMJ’s, so I am not using them currently. I use the Stalkers to practise with at the moment and only focus on technique and accuracy.
    I received the Rage Chisel-tip two blade mechanical broad heads with the bow, but after looking at some tests on penetration and deflection, I think a fixed blade broad head would be better suited for me. Less can go wrong according to my way of thinking and that of course means a cleaner kill. I am looking at the G5 Montecs as a good option, but I would like it if someone that uses them could give me some insights on the pros and cons of the Montecs or even other fixed blade broad heads…
    After a lot of reading up I decided that I want my arrows to be at least 500 grain total, but because I also want to shoot a wildebeest next season I am not sure if it will be enough. I am looking to have my arrow weight in a region where I can shoot anything from a pig to a wildebeest without wondering about it. Any suggestions in this regard?

I also have a few changes I want to make and would just love your insights. My Apex sight is good enough for now, but I am thinking of replacing it with the TruGlo Range Rover Pro Dot sight. I want to hunt bush pigs and it will most likely be at night time. I love the fact that the Range Rover Pro has no obstructions and I think it will work best for night time shooting. Do any of you have this sight? What do you think of it? Any other options I should also look at?

Lastly I am also thinking of changing the stabiliser on my bow. I think I need a stabiliser with a little more weight than my current Octane, but I have no idea what to look at…

Any help would be awesome…

User

Default Re: Looking for some wisdom...

Hi GertjieS,

I have not bowhunted or shot a bow for more than a year, but was quite in to it at some stage. Your setup sounds good (I also had an Assassin and after that a Destroyer 350), and you can work yourself up to the 70# mark. Concerning is the sling slap. You will need to fix that asap. I have seen people getting very hurt and actually give up shooting their bows because of this.

Remember always - IBO rating fast is not better than a quiet bow that is 20 fps slower. Never get caught up in a fps battle. Its stupid in my opinion.

Make sure your hunting arrows mirror your practice arrows. Fletches, nock the whole bang shoot. Your hunting setup must not change from your range setup. Long stabilizers look awesome an' all, but walking and stalking with a 3 ft stabilizer isn't that smart. Same thing if you will be shooting out of a hide. I think I also had an Octane, but I added a weight section to it as an extra.

The good thing about the rages' are is that you get a practice point with them.

I started with mechanicals and moved over to fixed blade ones. Both have pro's and both have con's in my opinion. People have had success with both types and have had failures. Having stuffed up a shot, or taken a shot you should not have in the 1st place (if you understand the limitations of your gear / broadhead) is not equipment failure - its human failure.

Buy a packet of the fixed blades and shoot them, same weight as the Rages. Test them.

I have lost touch a bit from what is available on the market wrt sights and stabilizers, but give Redge a call at Archers edge. I am sure they will be able to assist with some advice telephonically.

Then one last tip - practice practice practice.

User

When I still had my bow I used the G5 Montecs in 100gr. I will never use another broadhead.

That is about all the insight that I can assist with. I would however phone the guys at Archers Edge.

User

Thank you, DJ Vier, for all the info.

Regarding the string slap, it only happens when I am tired and not concentrating. It is also very slight and every time it happens it causes me to focus more, but it does not hurt or even leave a mark. When my form is good it never happens. So I think it is just my own fault...

I share your view on the fps battle. All I want to do is hit my mark each time and get a clean kill. I think it is about finding a balance that works for you.

I also know that my arrows must be exactly the same for hunting and range shooting, but before I settle on anything, I need to know what grain would best suit my needs. Yes, I will do a lot of range shooting, but only as prep for hunting. I'd rather be a bit heavy, than too light. It is just a gut feel I have and I don’t really know why...

Thanks for the tip on the stabiliser. I was unaware that I could just add a weight section. I think that would be my best option. If I remember correctly my Octane is the 5 inch ultra lite and I was thinking that I don’t want to go much longer, because it feels like a weight issue to me. I’ll check out the weight sections.

User

Hahaha, thank you for your insights, FCLoretz.
    The Montecs still look like the best bet.

User

Remember that final arrow length and what type of fletching you will use influences your weight. You can add weights to it but decide on an arrow 1st, then a type and weight of broadhead and weigh it then. You should be able to get to your required weight, or very close to it without any funny stuff or inserts.

If you go to bigger game, you will need to up it, but then to shoot those arrows you will need higher poundage and more kinetic energy.

I used the Carbon express Pile driver Hunter 350's with 100 grain BH's. Worked well on my Destroyer at 30" DL and 73#.

User

Okay, thanks. If I have to pick between the arrows I already have, I would go with the Easton FMJ's, but that is based on what I think and nothing else.

I will re-fletch them, weigh the FMJ and the Stalker, shoot both arrows in different conditions and decide from there... I can later decide on the BH's when I know what arrow i am going to use.

User

I have found for hunting, any arrow is actually fine as long as all your arrows are the same, your broad head flight is the same as with field points and you can get them to the weight you like. I like heavy arrows, 8-10 grains per pound of draw weight. Heavier if you're shooting a recurve or longbow. High FOC is also good. I have a 125gr point plus a 100gr brass insert up front.

Broadheads, this is like Ford vs Toyota vs Isuzu etc. everyone has their favorite, I am a fixed blade fan, especially the Slick Trick standard 1" in 125 grain. Iv found them to be very tough. I bought 6 dozen of them plus a whole lot of replacement blades a few years ago and then they were some of the most affordable broadheads around. I have no idea on current pricing.

As for your stabilizer, go to a bow shop with your bow and shoot a few shots with a couple of different models, you'll soon see what you prefer. No point in me telling you to get a b-stinger because it suits my style of shooting but it's too heavy for you etc. I still have a 8 year old 6" Stealth stabilizer. It's heavy and compact and its felt right on every bow I've had since I bought it.

String slap is very often a sign that your draw length is too long, check that again. If not, just keep practicing to correct your form.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with shooting 60lbs, rather a well placed arrow from a 60lb bow than a poor shot from a 100lb bow.

User

Hi Gertjies. I have been bow hunting for a number of years. I have shot warthog, impala, kudu and blue wildebeest with bow and arrow. My setup is a Hoyt TurboHawk @ 64lbs, 29.5" draw. I get clean passthrough on everything I shoot. I use cheap Easton powerFlight carbon arrows, and Montec G5 100gr blades. Total arrow weight is 438gr - 442gr. The montec BH are one of the BEST! Stay away from mecghanicals, and you will not have a problem with your setup for anything up to BWB.

here is a pic of a 27" bwb I hunted with this setup in 2014... regards and all the best of luck!

20130818_bwb.jpg

User

Thank you Bowhunter. You actually helped a lot with the arrow choice.
    At first I liked the mechanical BH's, but after watching comparison tests of different BH’s I saw that the fixed blade BHs perform better, especially in regards to deflection. That is what sold me in the end. Saw a few mechanicals that did not open or the blades bend or it deflected and it never happend to the fixed BHs. I'd rather be safe than sorry and I am going to go with the fixed blades.

I will try out the stabilisers. I just need to get to a proper bow shop.

12316147_10153067991311307_4321146825055448013_n.jpg12341070_10153067990931307_4537443601652319482_n.jpg

Fkritzinger, this is the only thing I have shot with my bow... 6 arrows at 15yards. I can't get any futher away in my yard, because I am already standing against my back wall. I'll have to make do untill the bow-club starts up again in 2016. The pic of my setup is just because I love my bow...

Good looking BWB. You just missed out on a RowlandWard. Thanks for the info on your arrow weight. It just shows me that my feeling of 500gr was not off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast