Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Looking for some wisdom...

"So what do you do now? Estimate?"

We old farts have done that for decades since the previous generation of rangefinders were optical, not laser. It is much easier to use just a few pins if you have a powerful bow and shoot from ground level. The arc is flatter and the arrow can drop at slightly longer ranges and still be in the kill zone.

At one time I could accurately 'guesstimate' out to 45 yards in 5-yard increments.

User

I'm still useless at ranging without a rangefinder

Just when I thought I was getting it right in the open, I fell short in the thick bush

Just when I thought I was getting it right in the bush, I would be way out when ranging through the shooting slot in a blind.

Then put me up a tree and everything changed again

USE A RANGEFINDER ! ! !

User

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Vier View Post

The drawback is that if you pick up the bow and see a million pins, in the heat of the moment, you use the wrong one if you are not paying attention. (yes I did that once, missing by a barn door - luckily)
    This happened to me on an expensive rooibok ram...
    Changed to a single pin (Tommy Hogg) after that and have never looked back.

User

I hear what you guys are saying about the multi-pin sights vs the single pin. I still want to go the single pin route thought. I know myself well enough to know what I prefer. I’d rather go with my gut and learn, than never try something at all. Does that make any sense?
    My one mate has a Tommy Hogg single pin sight and I really like the single pin setup. Shot a few times with his bow and talked with him at length about the pros and cons. He also changed from a multi pin to the single pin. He even shot a few bush pigs at night time with his rig.

I can always change back to my 3-pin sight if the single pin doesn’t work for me.

User

Stick with what you feel comfortable with GertjieS.

As you pick up more experience you will see what works best for you.

User

Agreed.

As will all things, there must be compromise, the single pin is the least complicated and being only one pin, blocks much less of the target.

It serves 1000000's archers all over the world well, but its not for me

User

Gertjies did you come rite with the club? if not pm me I live near Paulpietersburg and could help you with the basic on form and correct dl etc.

User

Hey, Chap. I have connected with the club here. Maruis Swemmer has helped me a lot and we are actually having a shoot on Saturday. I am so excited about it. I feel like a little boy before Christmas. Thank you so much for offering. It really means a lot.

Quick update:
    I fitted a HHA Optimizer Lite Rheostat single pin sight and Maruis helped me with setting up and he gave me his rangefinder to use. I shot it in myself. Awesome sight! Really happy with it.
    I also replace my stabiliser with a NAP 8inch Apache stabiliser. I got it for a steal! Made a massive difference. My bow does feel more stable, very steady and the balance is perfect.
    My FMJ arrows are 538gr in total, but there is something about them at 40 yards that I do not like. The shots are a bit erratic. I think maybe a bend or the fletching are causing it, but I will check the weekend. I will have to refletch the whole batch anyway and I will just spin test all of them then.
    The Carbon Core Stalkers arrows are 418gr in total. Flight and placing is a lot better than the FMJ’s currently. I will increase their weight with brass inserts and see how I feel about them then.

I phoned around for some prices on the Slick Trick BH’s and I must say the whole Rand/Dollar thing is not helping at all!

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by GertjieS View Post
    My FMJ arrows are 538gr in total, but there is something about them at 40 yards that I do not like. The shots are a bit erratic. I think maybe a bend or the fletching are causing it, but I will check the weekend. I will have to refletch the whole batch anyway and I will just spin test all of them then.
    Have a look at this... might answer your question: http://www.eastonhunting.com/blog/wh...t-arrow-flight

The Carbon Core Stalkers arrows are 418gr in total. Flight and placing is a lot better than the FMJ’s currently. I will increase their weight with brass inserts and see how I feel about them then.
    Remember - the heavier the arrow the stiffer it'll be. This might indicate as well why your 418gn shoots better than the 538gn?

I phoned around for some prices on the Slick Trick BH’s and I must say the whole Rand/Dollar thing is not helping at all!
    The best IMHO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast