Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Farm Theft, so you catch the guys, what now?

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Prison time for assault. It endangers a whole new and more valuable type of nuts.
    agreed, definitely dont want to open that can of worms, even though frustration sometimes makes you wish you could.

Banned

dont talk or ask about it, work it out do it. Quietly, thought out and re thought out. - Nothing comes from nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    You can try and find work you can give them over the holidays, two days a week, doesn't have to be full time.
    Go and find the chief/tribal leader of the area, don't go empty handed, explain the problem and you can come to an agreement on what is in it for him to keep them away.
    limited success has been had with this option, we also spoke with the known parents and much apologizing, but seems like the younger generation's respect is dwindling for the traditional elders.

Banned

Let me tell you guys a story.
    So my father stays on the farm close to Warmbaths.
    Up till recently there was 1400 pigs and about 400 lamb in feedlot.
    So about a year ago we start seeing small pigs go missing at night. We suspect a leopard as we have seen tracks close by but no blood so it doesn't quite make sense.
    The house and pig compound are about 100m from the main dirt road. Then after 3 or so weeks of nothing it starts again for a week or so every night piglets go missing.
    So my old man goes and sits in the pig cages and waits at night to see WTF is taking the piglets. I say piglets but they are from weaned size till about 30kg.
    Nothing happens for about 2-3 weeks again. Then the lambs start to go missing, first night 5 , second night 3. So the Friday I go through to the farm to go help my dad , I pack the trail cams I got to put them up to see if it is the leopard.

So we split up , me going to the sheep and my old man goes to the pigs at about 10PM. I fell asleep somewhere between 1:30AM and 2AM just after 3 I wake and get a funny feeling I am not alone in the cage and no I dont mean the 30 odd sheep in this particular pen.
    The hair on my neck is rising and I reaffirm my grip on the Glock. Just then I hear the words "UMLUNGU" ring out and I jump up looking in the direction it came. About 10m from me stand a boy not older than 13 , one of probably 6. Turning around and looking to bail into the darkness, I jump up and give chase with each one of them going into a separate direction but all heading south to the border fence some 90 odd meters away.
    These guys are young and out run me but the one in the middle trips and connects the earth HARD on some unseen obstacle. I see lights from a car that just went on right at our fence.

I catch this boy who turned out to be 12, by this time my old man called on the radio for the CPF as I was yelling to him over the walkie talkies we had what was going on. Luckily the patrol bakkie that night wasnt too far off.
    As they came flying down the road they came past a suspicious bakkie with a few kids on the back and stopped it. My dad and I with this boy got in our bakkie to go to the CPF patrol that was about 300-400m from our place by this time. Now the cops have been alerted and other people from the CPF arrives. As we get to the CPF patrol bakkie with their "apprehended" bakkie , I see fuck here is the boy that was in the pen with me that spotted me. When the cops came(maybe 20min-30mins) they knew these guys, and have been apprehended a few times. So the story is , they send these kids to steal the small livestock and they then carry it to the fence where the adults wait in the bakkie. When you catch the kids you can't do anything to them and these bastards know it, when we asked the cops what can be done they just shrugged and said the guys in the bakkies never did anything wrong.

So no not all these "kids" are so innocent. I am not condoning any behaviour it is just my story and my point of view they are criminals.

User

It's not limited to farming

User

make it harder to gain access with dogs, electric fence, beams and flood lights maybe
    idea of chatting to local leader also seems like a legit option in my book

Banned

They poison dogs quite easily. Beams are a pain in the ass, because jackals/kiewiet/cattle/cats all set the things off. Try and keep sane if an alarm goes of every 40min -60min when you trying to sleep. You won't make it past 3 days.

User

Quote Originally Posted by volstruis View Post
    They poison dogs quite easily. Beams are a pain in the ass, because jackals/kiewiet/cattle/cats all set the things off. Try and keep sane if an alarm goes of every 40min -60min when you trying to sleep. You won't make it past 3 days.
    point taken
    sorry city boy i do not have such things to worry about, my beams get tripped i know there is kak

User

I actually have great sympathy for anyone that still makes a living from farming in SA.

The community robs you blind.

The government wants your land.

The police just doesn't protect you guys anymore.

Some workers don't appreciate what the farmers do for them.

You get murdered left right and centre.

I would have packed my bags long time ago and said here, now you can do it your fucking selves and starve.

This country needs tougher sentences for stealing, the problem is the government steals so much the masses learn by example. Stealing most likely is a western concept.

Here its called wealth distribution.

User

If it was me I'd set up a series of traps in the trees. Say pepper spray set off by a wire. It won't be so much fun to steal nuts when you have to walk home 3 km in the dark with snot en trane running down your face. It's not that hard to fabricate spring-loaded pepper spray dispensers in your garage. Maybe Bang-L-erts would work for a while until they realise that they are blanks ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast