Banned

Default My Granddaughter's 1st Deer ... and with a Muzzleloader

I'm not sure whether this should be posted here or in "HUNTING". If it's in the wrong place, please move.

I took my granddaughter on a public land deer hunt at the end of November. I drew a permit for a small WMA near my son's house for a muzzleload deer hunt on Thanksgiving weekend.
    I took my granddaughter and we pulled all the gear in about a mile the day before. On opening morning she shot her first deer 15 minutes after legal shooting time. Due to the smoke cloud hanging in the air after the shot, I couldn't tell if she hit it or which direction it ran.

We waited 40 minutes before climbing down and she said she had seen it run quartering away. I searched for blood, hair, a running track and found nothing. She went over to a dim dirt trail and started walking down it, looking for blood. 10 minutes later she shouted, "I found blood!"

I ran over and saw that she had. We followed the trail another 30 yards and found the deer dead in a pool of foamy blood. We back-tracked the blood and it had only started 10 yards before she found the trail. The .50 cal. PRB in front of 45 gr. of 3f entered just in front of the left rear leg and exited through the right lung just behind the right front leg. It traveled ~110 yards before laying down and bleeding out.

She is a very happy 9-year-old.

She didn't care for the gutting process but she made sure that I sawed off the skull cap with the antlers. The 9-y.o. girl next door got permission from her dad to watch the skinning and butchering process. She immediately went in and asked her dad to take her deer hunting.

Banned

Default Re: My Granddaughter's 1st Deer ... and with a Muzzleloader

One proud grandpa!
    Congrats and thanks for taking time for your grandkids.

Hi Patacazador

Congratulations to the proud grandfather and happy granddaughter. Well done for encoraging the neighbour's daughter as well.

Looks like fairly thick bush under those trees, she did well to find the deer.

And so our love of all things that go bang grows! Congratulations; It will be a memory she will treasure.

User

Patacazador

Congratulations ...it really is something you and she will always remember...and to put the cherry on the cake, she used a muzzleloader...it really is a great achievement, thank you for sharing .....

Gert.

User

Old thread, but...don't see many youngsters these days shooting patched roundballs...my congrats to her.

Banned

Banned

She applied for all the public hunts here in Florida last month and she drew 3 out of 4. One more to be drawn yet but she is excited.

She went hunting again with me last January when I shot a buck with broken antlers.

User

Awesome.