Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Enduro riding.

User

Default Re: Enduro riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    So I have decided on a bike model I want.

Maico 700, everyone is invited to my funeral lol

All jokes aside, I want to get myself a WR250 2T or YZ250 2T and change the gearbox at a later stage and perhaps add the big bore kit if available locally.

Any advice on this bike, what to look for and what to stay away from and so on.

Thank for all the advice and PM's thusfar.
    There is a EWXC race the end of the month at Arrows rest in Hartebeespoort dam. Go check it out will give you an idea of what enduro riding is about.

http://www.enduroworld.co.za/index.p...d/nomadik-ewxc

Regarding the bike, buy once cry once. Get a second hand KTM 300 XC-W with extras like shark fins, radiator fan, radiator braces bash plates, engine guards and exhaust protection. Try and find a Six Days model has allot of extra's.

Take it to Hilton Hayward to get the suspension set up correctly (worth every cent) and you have yourself a bike that will make you happy. Also not as expensive as a four stroke to rebuild engine.

I promise you your first bike wont be your last bike.

User

If it wasn't for the R 80k price tag (which is actually very reasonable if you're planning to buy new), I would be all over the new YZ250X 2T.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/home-p...%28mxa+news%29

I ride a WR450F now, and love it. Maybe a bit heavy for the really technical stuff, but the extra power to haul my 95kg carcass around does help.

User

Loved the 500 2 strokes from the 80s and early 90s (think of the motocross RMs, YZs, CRs etc, plus the NSR Grand Prix bikes!). WR500 was a beast - always thought it should have been WM for widow-maker.

4 strokes may be the sensible choice but not much gets the adrenalin going like a 2T hitting the powerband. The screaming sound of the twin-shock 500 Maicos at enduros in the early 80s (I was a spectator not the rider!) gives me goosebumps thinking about it.
    I enjoyed the lighter weight of the 2T from a handling perspective plus the additional power - I guess the 'modern' 4Ts have closed the gap on both counts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4