Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Dunno what to call it, honestly

http://africanlightbulbsociety.com/index.php/2015/11/24/racism-its-not-because-youre-black-5-minute-read/

RACISM. IT’S NOT BECAUSE YOU’RE BLACK (5 minute read)

Posted on*November 24, 2015Taelo ImmanuelPosted in*Uncategorized

Let’s face it, Africans aren’t known for their smarts. Don’t get me wrong though, I think black people are as intelligent, gifted and talented as anyone. However, we’re just not perceived to be. Being clever is not something we’re renowned for.

This perception affects us economically, psychologically, socially and of course, internationally. Recently, Donald Trump made an inflammatory quip about blacks by referring to laziness, criminal behaviour and bedroom exploits as what defines them.

The world calls it ‘racism’, I call it ‘disrespect’. So-called white supremacy is nothing but gross disrespect for all that is black or African hence the discrimination, segregation and other despicable tendencies.

Contrary to popular belief, so-called racists don’t discriminate against blacks because blacks are black. That’s why, as long as we call it ‘racism’, we’ll never find a lasting solution. As long as it’s called ‘racism’ we’ll never deal with it meaningfully.

If we call it ‘disrespect’ the question can then be asked, ‘Why do whites have such profound disrespect for blacks?’ The answer to that question can never be, ‘Because we’re black’ or ‘Because they’re racist’.

Furthermore, this is not just a ‘white’ problem because the Chinese, Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, French, Russians, Indians and South Americans have the exact same view about Africans. They all think we’re backward idiots.

It’s therefore glib to conclude that blacks are discriminated against because of the colour of their skin. I think it has a lot to do with what we do and say. In other words, it has to do with how we conduct ourselves. It’s our behaviour that gives the world the impression that we’re not smart.

I know many will be quick to absolve blacks of any responsibility by making reference to slavery and colonization. But we have to admit that Africans brought a knife to a gunfight and Europeans have never respected us since.

If anything, it’s our prehistoric approach to warfare, politics, culture and economics that emboldened the European to assume such an afro-pessimistic stance. That period in history saw the genesis of the Great Disrespect and earned us discrimination.

Back to today. If today Africans ran successful democracies, obeyed the rule of law, protected property rights, had a human rights culture, had a modern outlook, excelled in mathematics and science, invested in research and development, and invented useful technologies – the world would have the requisite amount of respect for us in spite of the colour of our skin.

But because we don’t do the above, our countries are dictatorships and one party states, there’s very little understanding of democracy and freedom, human rights mean nothing, there’s very little or no press freedom.

By and large, African countries are run like primitive feudal states with tribal chiefs, warring tribes and clans. There’s widespread tribalism, patriarchy, misogyny, sexism, ageism, homophobia and xenophobia.

To make matters worse, Africans maintain the status quo by calling this state of affairs ‘our culture’. As a result, we’ve become global village idiots who’re seen to be uncivilized and primitive.

When we’re called such, we’re shocked that others find our behaviour reprehensible. Instead of changing our behaviour, we remonstrate and call the world ‘racist’. Instead of doing things differently, we revisit the past and make the problem historical.

We blame the world for our present circumstances and make them the cause of our behaviour when in actuality we’re the ones who keep doing and saying backward things.

Instead of trying to change the world’s perception about us by complaining and blaming them, we should rather change our own behaviour. We should change what we do and what we say because that’s what’s responsible for our negative image the world over.

The current strategy of attacking the West and demonizing capitalism is not smart. The approach of heckling and hurling stones at ‘imperialists’ is hardly viable. The tactic of scouring the Internet in search of images and articles that prove just how racist whites are is counterproductive.

All of this only serves to make us angry and it’s our anger that blinds us to simple and obvious solutions. We know the continent was enslaved and colonized, laboring this point with the hope to change others’ behaviour towards us is fantastical at best. Instead of expending energy destroying what we hate, we should rather dedicate our time to building what we love.

We have to stop sponsoring, manufacturing, buying, selling and exporting stupidity. We need to stop celebrating and encouraging idiotic things. We tolerate backwardness, reward mediocrity and suffer fools gladly, we do this to our detriment.

We have to start prioritizing intellect. We must pursue it, demand it, exalt it, focus on it and even marry for it. The collective African IQ has to go up as a matter of urgency. We need to flush ignorance out of our system and replace it with knowledge, progress and modernity.

It’s achievement that’ll change the worlds’ perception about us. It’s when we start saying and doing smart things that others will believe us to be smart.

We need to move away from our tribal identity with its drums, spears, shields, masks, skins, loincloths, leopard print apparel, calabashes and naïve art of the curio shop variety. These tribal artifacts shouldn’t be revered but despised because they represent our shame. The world used to inhabit such a world but they abandoned it centuries ago in favour of something more modern.

We need to stop defending female genital mutilation, polygamy, reed dances, superstition, witchcraft, circumcision schools, the bride price and many other practices that belong in the agro-pastoral age. We need to move on.

It’s time to take off our ignorance, backwardness and primitive outlook, go to the table of nations and start engaging in cogent discourse with the world as equals and not perpetual minors and victims. If we want respect, we should go out there and earn it.

SASOIN-DOSOIN

(Say Something Intelligent-Do Something Intelligent)

User

Default Re: Dunno what to call it, honestly

Interesting...

I assume the author is currently *incredibly* popular with his own people?

User

There's a lot of truth in there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by John Reid View Post
    I assume the author is currently *incredibly* popular with his own people?
    Agreed

I must say, I read the comments under his post just waiting for someone to be angry at him, but everyone seemed pretty accepting and reasonable. not one 'coconut' or 'houseboy' in there. Very impressed.

User

Much merit to what he says... however, some 'balance' should be incorporated.

To expect a people to discard their culture entirely is not, in my mind, a good thing. Everyone derives a sense of identity from their culture... a sense of belonging.

Finding that balance will be tough, no doubt.

Having said that, I find his article to be quite poignant and valid.

User

If one would be inclined to respond with an intelligent comment or reply or discussion one would most probably be branded a racist here in South Africa and dismissed summarily from current employment.

Khumba : Especially if one found oneself part of a specific low-pigment population group.

I agree with Psychosis here, I don't think your own culture needs to be completely discarded for that of another in order to advance. European and Asian cultures evolved over time to be what they are now, and if you look hard you can still see things that allude to them, for example Europe and America still celebrate Halloween, but very few people actually still believe in what it represented historically. Let the culture(s) evolve instead of holding it so tightly that you smother a whole continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    Much merit to what he says... however, some 'balance' should be incorporated.

To expect a people to discard their culture entirely is not, in my mind, a good thing. Everyone derives a sense of identity from their culture... a sense of belonging.

Finding that balance will be tough, no doubt.

Having said that, I find his article to be quite poignant and valid.
    Whilst I agree with the idea that people should be able, and be encouraged, to practise their culture that culture should not detrimentally impact upon their interface with society and the world at large.

By way of example, my ancestors are from northern Europe. A warlike raiding culture. Indeed, raiding was a legal obligation back in the day. I don't do that anymore and claim that I am entitled to do it because of my culture.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast