Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default License App - Section 15

Do you need to provide proof of a club for a section 15 Application ?

What other documents are required ?

User

Default Re: License App - Section 15

Hi mate,

No you don't have to but it will always help if you can :-). What type of firearm do you want and for what purpose?

Regards

Werner

There have been refusals on S15 apps for no club letter attached. I have just received a letter from a club stating that I am a regular visitor, responsible with my firearms etc., and that they would gladly have me for competitions. You needn't be a member of a club, as the description of S15 says, but it will be massively advantageous to attach such a letter, a copy of an attendance register page with your name on & if you have competed in events, proof of attendance.

What also helps is that you include rules of the events in which you plan to compete in. Clay shooting, silhouette shooting etc. rules are easily obtained via your best nerd friend, Google.

I mentioned in my application that I am not a member of a club, but the approval of the license will allow me to compete more often and join a club.

Good luck!

Banned

You need to show that you have somewhere to shoot your firearm. The official answer has always been that you need to provide at least two letters of invitation from farmers saying they know you and that you're welcome to hunt on their farm (if it's an occasional hunting firearm) or else proof of membership to a club. That's because your license is for occasional sport or hunting you need to show you're actually going to be doing those things occasionally. It's not mentioned in the FCA, but it makes sense from the DFO and CFR's perspective. Not saying it's okay to add things onto the act, but it's one of the things I am comfortable with.

User

Yes I know about the letters etc - did the same for my Enfield, that is why I asked the OP if what it was and what he wanted to use it for. But yes, the general idea is that you have to show you won't have a white elephant as a relic in your safe or else you won't get it. I have my Enfield under section 15 but now use it as dedicated sports weapon for NSA shoots :-).

Regards

Werner

Hi guys. I wanted to start a similar thread but the topic fits perfectly. I am in a similar situation. I would like to license a .22lr bolt action rifle primarily for my kids. The rifle is small and built for kids but I'd rather license it on my name. I was advised to apply for a section 15, occasional sports shooting. My DFO needs proof that I actually do take part in occasional sports shooting. I don't belong to a club. I don't intend to join any club. I just want to visit the shooting range with my kids whenever possible and I don't know how often that will be.

My questions are:

Does this qualify as occasional sports shooting?

Do shooting ranges provide you with such letters?

If yes, will they do so even if you shoot 'occasionally' (once in 3 months)?

Has anyone obtained such a letter from a shooting range?

I am really frustrated, not so much about the fact that I need to provide proof but because the DFO and 'company' at my local station were absolutely rude and unhelpful

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Hi guys. I wanted to start a similar thread but the topic fits perfectly. I am in a similar situation. I would like to license a .22lr bolt action rifle primarily for my kids. The rifle is small and built for kids but I'd rather license it on my name. I was advised to apply for a section 15, occasional sports shooting. My DFO needs proof that I actually do take part in occasional sports shooting. I don't belong to a club. I don't intend to join any club. I just want to visit the shooting range with my kids whenever possible and I don't know how often that will be. My questions are:Does this qualify as occasional sports shooting?Do shooting ranges provide you with such letters?If yes, will they do so even if you shoot 'occasionally' (once in 3 months)?Has anyone obtained such a letter from a shooting range?I am really frustrated, not so much about the fact that I need to provide proof but because the DFO and 'company' at my local station were absolutely rude and unhelpful
    I have just submitted a Sec15 for occasional sports shooting for a .22lr. DFO also gave me grief. Told them to submit the damn thing. That is why we are applying for occasional and not dedicated! I submited a motivation and all my relevant associations etc. Basic reasoning was plinking , ammo cheap, practice etc as an occasional sports shooter. I do have the benefit that i live on a farm. Whether it will be approved i dont know but my reasoning is sound should i need to apeal. I do know that i wont allow DFO's to decide wether on not to submit my motivations.

Good luck, hope you get the license.

Heavy sigh... I have accepted the unfortunate reality of the situation, so I joined a club. I plan on shooting my SD pistol there at least once a month for the next few months. Then hopefully I'll have 'enough' proof to apply for an occasional sport shooting license....

User

Same here, my first 22 application was not approved, then I joined a association which was the only change from my declined one... Approved the second time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Banned

Did you get approved because I want to apply for a 22lr pistol for the same reason I don't have a license yet because I'm still waiting for compitancy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast