Default How does it work when you want to sell your weapon through a dealer?

I have a G17 I want to sell and would prefer to have it sold through a dealer.

One Pretoria dealer I spoke with said that I should bring the gun in, sign the SAPS transfer docs over to them, and then they will eventually find me a buyer.
    This seems suspicious to me. Do I really need to sign and do a transfer to them before receiving any money(or signing anything other than the transfer docs)? Is this the normal procedure?

What would you suggest?

Banned

Default Re: How does it work when you want to sell your weapon through a dealer?

Sounds about right. Though if it were me I'd find a buyer first, and only then do the transfer to the dealer.

Default Re: How does it work when you want to sell your weapon through a dealer?

What Joe says makes more sense.
    WARNING- No Warning

User

You would make more money if you find your own buyer, I would imagine. The gunshop will still add a markup and will have to be saleable pricewise. You can also sell the gun and keep it in the safe untill the new owner brings you a copy of the licence and you can hand over the firearm. However this seems to be the less favoured method. Another way is to store it at a dealer untill the new owner has the licence and can then collect it and pay for the storage fee. The most common way is the way you have described. The firearm is transferred to the dealers stock (so it is no longer licenced to you) and is then licenced. Whether you sell the gun privately and then book I into the dealer or you book it in and they sell it, really doesn't matter. I just think you will get more out of the deal by selling it yourself.

Banned

It's a lot like selling a car privately vs having a dealership sell it on consignment in terms of how much you'll get and the amount of frustration and paperwork involved.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDijeaux View Post
    It's a lot like selling a car privately vs having a dealership sell it on consignment in terms of how much you'll get and the amount of frustration and paperwork involved.
    At least selling privately, you won't find your car next the road an hour outside the city while you're on your way on holiday. Happened to my dad many years ago - left the car with the dealer on consignment, but kept the key for the petrol cap. Dealer took it on jaunt, ran out of petrol and couldn't refill it, and my dad just happened to follow the same road off on holiday.

Cool, thanks guys, so it's legit.
    I'd love to find a private buyer first(contingent on having the firearm stored at a dealer pending licensing, of course), but so far I'm not getting a lot of interest. The dealer reckoned they'd get a buyer within weeks.