User

Default Where can I use my Mini-14 or CZ858? Sport shooting

I licensed these for High Power Rifle and NSA postal targets. I've since decided to stop shooting HPR (due to a number of reasons), and I'm now looking for somewhere I can shoot these semi-competitively on the occasional Saturday morning.

What is out there? I know nothing about all the sports/divisions e.g. IDPA, IPSC, 3 gun etc.

1. Cost?
    2. Round count?
    3. Time required?
    4. Do I need to join a club or can I shoot as a visitor?

I have a pistol as well, but not a shotgun.

Thanks in advance for the help!

User

Default Re: Where can I use my Mini-14 or CZ858? Sport shooting

And my 10/22 as well?

User

All can be used in IPSC.

Mini-14 in STD Semi-Auto (Minor)
    CZ858 in STD Semi-Auto (Major, assuming it makes the required factor, or Minor)
    Both of the above can of course be moved up to open (minor or major respectively).

10/22 in IPSC Mini-Rifle.

You can shoot as a visitor. Not all clubs run rifle at club level though, or if they do, it may only be every second month (ie: 1 month rifle, next month shotgun after the subsequent pistol shoot)... all of this depends on the club in question of course. My club uses the latter option.

Round counts vary... but work on an average of about 80 per club shoot. If you progress to leagues, it would get higher.

Best bet would be to contact the clubs, and find out. (If you like, you are of course welcome to join in with me one day as a guest...)

So, you can shoot pistol at all the shoots, and then every second month shoot rifle (not sure if they will let you run more than once with different rifles, but easy to find that out).

Club shoots (pistol) start at 9am, and end around 12H00-13H00... followed by rifle\shotgun for another 2 hours or so.

Rifle and shotgun can be run seperately (you don't need to own a shotgun), and are distinct divisions within IPSC. Running all 3, pistol, rifle and shotgun would be a requirement for 3Gun standings if you wish to go that far.
    Last edited by Psychosis; 22-01-2016 at 15:17.

User

Thanks Psychosis.

I'm in Midrand, quite close to centurion. Might take you up on that offer. What club do you belong to and where do you shoot?

Will it be possible to only shoot the rifle divisions? I'm not really keen on high round counts with my LC9 and want to keep the shooting as short as possible, I cant spend the whole day there.

One rifle per day is fine. Just want to get out and make doppies.

What is the typical round cound and how many mags do you need? Can you shove mags is pockets or must you have holsters and the like?

User

Starting times for the Rifle portions are not 'fixed' ... so logistics might be an issue?

We shoot at Eeufees.

Round count is normally 50 to 80.

2 mags (30 round mags) would suffice... no stage will exceed 32 round minimum. (So 4 10 round mags if applicable). Ultimately, you want to comfortably be able to negotiate a 32 round stage (With possible required fill-in shots over and above that, that is if your accuracy is bad, like mine ).

Mags in pockets might be an issue, since there are regulations around where mags may be placed. (Refer to rifle rule book).
    http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesRifle.pdf

User

Thanks, sounds manageable!

I'll investigate the other options as well.

User

Nsa is the best for people with a schedule problem. It is an in your own time thing. natshoot.co.za membership is around R400 ish. I forget exactly how much. They have classes for semi auto rifles and all 3 of those are different enough to be different shooting experiences. Round counts are what you want them to be but you're looking at around 20 rounds and 2 mags. They are developing newer strings of fire for the competition to make the semis more competitive. Print your targets, go to a range, shoot them and get an RO to sign them, and then scan and email targets. Shoot the exercise once, 20 rounds. Shoot it 40 times, 800 rounds. Your choice. Easy peasy. Any time the range is open and almost any range. Very accommodating to busy people.

All 3 can be used in SADPA DMG too, but you'll need a pistol and a shotgun too.

The CZ858 doesn't make IPSC major does it? It does make IDPA SADPA DMG major so you can shoot in SSG with iron sights on both center fire and in Stock pistol caliber/.22 carbine.

Which still leaves loads of options for guns with optics.

SADPA is also pretty much 2 mags, you'll do better with more and it means less time loading mags but more time helping run the shoot but you only need one in the gun and one on your belt.
    . You are limited to 26 rifle shots and 12 shotgun shots as per stage. The number of stages is covered by the size of the match. Club level matches are a minimum of 3 stages, no pistol only stages and pistol shots are not allowed to outnumber long gun shots. The round count is often less than the maximum for time management reasons though.

SADPA - you will need to join but can use for DSS. Will need to join a club and the association. Association SADPA fees are R 400,00 for 2016 - club fees vary from club to club.
    This will give you a competitive environment to use your rifles, pistol ad shotgun when you get one.

RSC - Rooikraal Shooting Club are the most active rifle and shotgun shooting SADPA club in Gauteng (25 km South of JHB) a bit of a drive for you, but a great bunch of people and excellent ranges - well worth the drive!
    RSC details can be found under the club section on the SADPA website - speak to Craig. www.sadpa.co.za
    RSC club shoots are normally done by lunch time allowing you to shoot your other guns after lunchtime or to go play/ practice with what you have taken with you to the range, alternately you can be home by 14h00 for family time.
    300m, 200m, 100m rifle ranges as well as about 13 pistol bays.