Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Compound bow setup- whisker biscuit rest, sights?

I should be receiving my compound soon and would need to set it up. I see lots of conflicting info on rests, is the whisker biscuit any decent to go with? I came across this comparison
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...hisker-biscuit
    Any input from people who have used/hunted with it or a fall away will be appreciated.

Secondly, there are hundreds of sights to choose from. Id like to get something that will be long term and can hunt with at some stage, 3pin, 5 pin etc?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Compound bow setup- whisker biscuit rest, sights?

I had a whisker biscuit and moved to Trophy Taker drop away rest....best decision I ever made, groupings went through the roof. Bottom line is the less touching your arrow post squeezing the trigger on your release, the better in my opinion. I wont ever go the whisker biscuit route again.

User

In terms of sights that's personal preference as there are a few great brands out there. I think having more pins is better as you then have more distance reference points and don't have to worry as much as to the "in-between" distances between pins if you say had just a 20, 30 and 40m pin set up. you can now have a 20,25,30,35,40 and don't have to guess as much in between pins. Again personal preference.

User

I used a Whisker Biscuit for a while a few years ago and it worked well for me with plastic vanes. I changed to feathers so had to change to a drop away. You need to use decent quality vanes through the WB in order to stop them from wrinkling. One of the best rests for walk and stalk.

Sight - I would say 5 pin, 3 pins were never enough for me, I liked to practice at 50 and 60m. Go with 0.019" pins or if you can, 0.019" for the 1st 3 pins and 0.010" pins for the last 2.

User

If your gonna do a lot of walk and stalk, then get the biscuit, drop away very frustrating in tricky shooting stances.

For anything else, get the drop away.

Ive got a Drop Away on my PSE with a single point swivel PSE sight.
    Both work very nice for me. The single point sight only shows 1 dot. And can be adjusted alot by the swivel action.
    With single point sight you dont have a couple all centred in the front sight.

I am not a huge fan of the WB. I would rather go for a good quality drop away. And if you intend to hunt while walking and stalking then get one with good containment. I hunt with a QAD and it works really well. You can lock the rest in up position before you draw which ensures that the arrow stays in place no matter what stance you are drawing from. Other nice drop aways to look at is Vaportrail, Apache and maybe the G5.

With regards to a sight I believe you will also get a lot of opinions and it will depend a lot on what you will be using it for mainly. I shoot a 5 pin spot Spot Hogg and I am very happy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    If your gonna do a lot of walk and stalk, then get the biscuit, drop away very frustrating in tricky shooting stances.

For anything else, get the drop away.
    +1

I have hunted (walk and stalk and hide) with a drop away and it could lead to some troubles. But you can get a clip for your arrow when using a drop away and as soon as you draw the rest would lift releasing the arrow.

Its not a foolproof solution though.

Get a 5 pin IMHO

User

I'm in the same boat as you Antlion. I started bowhunting last year and upgraded my RAK accessories to a 5 pin truglo carbon hybrid and a whisker biscuit. The biscuit snapped on adjustment and I've had a major dilemma with deciding what to replace it with. Leaning towards another biscuit but I feel my groupings can improve with a drop away like the truglo downdraft which has slight containment. Following with interest

User

I use a drop away, my wife a wb. I do mainly walk and stalk and can see the appeal of the wb, however I won't change, accuracy is first priority especially with longer shots. 5 pin sights

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast