Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User
    Meadow Lakes, Alaska, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Third Rock, Left Arm

Default Question about Ridgebacks....

I'm located in California, had a few Ridgebacks through the years. First one I had was a 128# female, second gen from Africa, then a 90# female followed her.

The breeders I talk to over here (show breeders, of course) stick tight to their story that any Ridgebacks over 70-90# are not going to be a functional dog, at least as far as hunting goes. Most of the time they'll claim anything larger will be slow, not have the drive, etc. But having brought up that first female, I know that even as a very large dog, she had an incredibly athletic activity level. Finding really large Ridgebacks isn't easy over here, the trend is towards the smaller ones.

So, making a long story short - you folks over in Africa, what do you see as a common size range for Rhodesian Ridgebacks? 60,70,80,90 pounds? Or do you see quite a few over 100, 110 pounds?

Thanks for any input, need to get another couple or three dogs in the household, it's way too quiet here now.

User

Default Re: Question about Ridgebacks....

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. Focus more on getting a dog with the right temperament. If they are good enough, they will be big enough. I have a slightly overweight 90 poundish bitch and a 80 poundish male. Both are wondeful family dogs. The bitch is a good retriever and the male a formidable home protection dog.

Smaller, leaner dogs are certainly better runners and I think they will last much better as well. Especially if you take them along often jumping up and down the back of a bakkie or such.

User

I understand about the temperament, my question was more of a question about conformation and the differences between RR's in their origin area, and those lines that have gone overseas. Both of the dogs I mentioned were terrific animals, truly wonderful and I was lucky to find them. I'm more interested in learning what the current trends are for Ridgebacks that are working dogs, in the area that they were originally bred.

I agree with you about the smaller dogs lasting longer too - those larger dogs put lots of wear and tear on their bodies. The big female I had passed on at 12.5 years, the smaller one was a bit over 15 when she passed.

User

Overseas people seem to focus on the breed standard, which indicates weights in the high 30 kgs. My observation is that there appear to be two strains of ridgeback here. One is the paler dogs, with light eyes (think Weimeraner), more yellow/pale skin coloration and tend to be more lightly built, a la the breed standard. The 2nd strain which is much more prevalent in SA, are the darker red dogs, which appear to have Great Dane or mastiff in their bloodline - they have black muzzles and tend to be bigger dogs.

both strains are athletic but for sure the more lightly built ones have more stamina, as a generalization. I have seen dogs over 80kg in the reddish strain (I'm talking about fit working farm dogs)' whereas the paler strain are usually <50kg.
    Google pics of SA ridge backs and then look at the breed club pics in the UK, US etc and see the differences.
    This is all my opinion and generalization but I think it speaks to the OP's observation.

User

Very interesting, Desperatezulu, and this is exactly the answer I was expecting to hear.

Unfortunately, I think that the breed standards that are prevalent currently have more to do with an easier to handle dog in the show ring, than an actual working animal. The two strains that you mention are something I haven't heard about. Over here we have the AKC standard, with both light colored and dark red dogs within the weight and height standards. When you do find a breeder over here that's actually imported dogs from Africa, often the breeder will mention they're larger than standard, and within two generations or so the descendants are down to AKC standard weight and height.

Thanks for the comments!

User

Professor Slang Viljoen Breeds Big Ridgebacks, but the average man on the street can't buy them as all his litters are booked and go to rangers that work in the National Parks and often as guides for walking trails. I was told that the Ridgebacks have been known to attack rhino to get their attention and draw them away from the people. Probably the best indication of a true bush working dog. Our current ridgeback bitch stands over 600mm at the shoulder and weighs 40kg. She is only 13 months old! My ex Rhodi friends all say the ridgebacks in Rhodesia were big dogs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
    I'm located in California, had a few Ridgebacks through the years. First one I had was a 128# female, second gen from Africa, then a 90# female followed her.

The breeders I talk to over here (show breeders, of course) stick tight to their story that any Ridgebacks over 70-90# are not going to be a functional dog, at least as far as hunting goes. Most of the time they'll claim anything larger will be slow, not have the drive, etc. But having brought up that first female, I know that even as a very large dog, she had an incredibly athletic activity level. Finding really large Ridgebacks isn't easy over here, the trend is towards the smaller ones.

So, making a long story short - you folks over in Africa, what do you see as a common size range for Rhodesian Ridgebacks? 60,70,80,90 pounds? Or do you see quite a few over 100, 110 pounds?

Thanks for any input, need to get another couple or three dogs in the household, it's way too quiet here now.
    I agree with most of the comments above.

A few of my friends and I have some Ridgebacks from a local South African breeder (who is based south of Jhb) and her male dogs tend to be in the 35-45kg (viz. 77-100lbs) range. The male we got from her is around 4 years old now and weighs in at around 43 kgs (95lbs). We had him done (neutered) when he was around 12 months old (as per recommendations from our vet and dog trainer) and I suspect that this resulted in him being slightly bigger than some of his siblings.

He is a fabulous family dog and is very loyal...

My Ridgeback bitch weighs about 40kg and my dog is a 45kg

User

How are they as Guard Dogs?

User

Not to derail, But Im currently looking for a Ridgeback Dog puppy.

If anyone knows of a litter, please let me know

Ive given up on the rescue center, Their communication is non existent, and every time I try get things going after jumping through all the hoops, they tell me they are a charity manned by volunteers.
    "Before you buy, adopt"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast