User

Default Self defense handgun import

Hey there,

I'm totally new to these forums (but I'm well seasoned in all types of firearms). A couple of years back, I spent a year in South Africa as a volunteer game ranger. I came to know the politics and somewhat strange (to me, at any rate) laws of the land first-hand and on a very intimate basis. I also made some good friends whom I would love to visit with again. Problem is, after my eye opening experience of close call muggings, neighboring farmers being murdered, corrupt police at Maartenshoorp, and an attempted murder made on myself by a large group of squatters... I am unsure if it's wise to return to such an area without arming myself with a handgun in addition to experience. Mace alone will not save you when you face a dozen men all armed with pangas and rocks. But I don't need to convince anyone here of that!

My question is: Is there any way that a citizen of the United States can temporarily import a 9mm Beretta M92FS into South Africa for the purpose of self defense? I can't always be in a large group of other armed individuals (although, that would be a good thing if it were always possible). The reality of it is, sometimes I find myself on my own at very inopportune times and I need a force multiplier.

I hope there is someone out there that can offer some help or tell me if there is simply no way for me to import a semiautomatic pistol. For instance, if a semiauto Beretta is out of the question, is a revolver a viable and legal option for temporary import? Before you ask: yes, I have read the SAPS website concerning firearm importation. However, the legal language leaves something to be desired. I.E. is there a difference between a semiautomatic pistol and a "hand carbine"? A lot of it seems purposefully nebulous... almost like a deterrent.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

I think it is possible.
    Ikor would be able to provide good advice.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Hey there,

I'm totally new to these forums (but I'm well seasoned in all types of firearms). A couple of years back, I spent a year in South Africa as a volunteer game ranger. I came to know the politics and somewhat strange (to me, at any rate) laws of the land first-hand and on a very intimate basis. I also made some good friends whom I would love to visit with again. Problem is, after my eye opening experience of close call muggings, neighboring farmers being murdered, corrupt police at Maartenshoorp, and an attempted murder made on myself by a large group of squatters... I am unsure if it's wise to return to such an area without arming myself with a handgun in addition to experience. Mace alone will not save you when you face a dozen men all armed with pangas and rocks. But I don't need to convince anyone here of that!

My question is: Is there any way that a citizen of the United States can temporarily import a 9mm Beretta M92FS into South Africa for the purpose of self defense? I can't always be in a large group of other armed individuals (although, that would be a good thing if it were always possible). The reality of it is, sometimes I find myself on my own at very inopportune times and I need a force multiplier.

I hope there is someone out there that can offer some help or tell me if there is simply no way for me to import a semiautomatic pistol. For instance, if a semiauto Beretta is out of the question, is a revolver a viable and legal option for temporary import? Before you ask: yes, I have read the SAPS website concerning firearm importation. However, the legal language leaves something to be desired. I.E. is there a difference between a semiautomatic pistol and a "hand carbine"? A lot of it seems purposefully nebulous... almost like a deterrent.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

It is possible, but 762 is right, drop Ikor a PM regarding regulations etc as he comes out with his pistol when in S.A (Keep in mind he is also tied to LE so this is maybe why).

Hand Carbine would be the likes of an UZI, BXP etc. Oh and if you get it right, then bring ammo too, no decent 9x19 ammo available at moment in S.A

User

AFAIK you can only bring guns in for sport or hunting. Not for SD at all. If you came over to shoot a match you could keep your pistol with you.

yes bring it in and sell it to me when you leave, always wanted a beretta 92FS ;)

User

Default .

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! I'll shoot Ikor a private message as suggested. I snooped around a bit and he sounds like a fellow who's in the know. If anyone has some personal stories about import/export, it would certainly be appreciated.

Andy: you and every other dude I talked to over there had the same thought! Believe me, I wish I could! Sometimes I felt so sorry for the gun deprived (myself included of course) over there that I wanted to give them away. Leave a few grand under your pillow tonight and you might wake up with a H&K under your pillow... courtesy of the Yankee (er, make that Rebel) gun fairy

User

Default ...

I chatted with Ikor and it seems the "New South Africa" does not want me to defend myself. C'est la vie... when/if I go back, I'll have to make do with a Benchmade (unless folding knives are illegal too) or a baton and a pepperball gun.

Import for sport or hunting still sound like too much risk.

But I much prefer your landscapes, wildlife, and weather over there. Can't the US and SA just trade for a while? We'll take your spot but bring our constitution (what's left of it of course) with and you can do the same over here! :to: The whole mass migration part would certainly be interesting, to say the least.