Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default WW2: The Question of the Decent Ordinary Wehrmacht Member

There were many decent people that were conscripted. But there was no shortage either of those complicit in every cruel aspect of Nazi ideology.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-755385.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oners-war.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...oWs-prove.html
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Default Re: WW2: The Myth of the Decent Ordinary Wehrmacht Member

Jeepers

Thank you for sharing, WZ. An interesting and decidedly macabre read.

It's especially harrowing how quickly Joe Average could into what I imagine could be termed a psychopath and how quickly morals and a basic respect for life lose all meaning.

Banned

Have not checked any of the links, but there have been tests done on 'decent people' being put in charge of 'prisoners'. The results are astounding,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M1 View Post
    Have not checked any of the links, but there have been tests done on 'decent people' being put in charge of 'prisoners'. The results are astounding,
    1972, USA and the experiment was stopped after two days. Similar experiments were conducted elsewhere IIRC. There is a German film made during '99 or 2000. It basically boils down to this: if mankind can justify himself with either "I'm immune from consequences" or "I don't have a choice" he will set the dogs on someone else with a smile.

User

Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101

Read it, it explains how normal men not only did these things but when the war was over they went back home and resumed a normal life.

So then the next question is, why was this kind of event such a rarity amongst the Commonwealth troops of WW2?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Banned

Atrocities and savageries during war are inacceptable, yet I am slowly getting fed-up with Germany being the punchbag of the west. I have lived there for six years and the Germans are working really hard at leaving it all behind them. The image of a clean Wehrmacht does/did not exist amongst my German friends. They are aware of everything which happened on both sides. That is one of the reasons why Germany is slow to get actively involved in current wars. Peace missions, yes, war no. One should also remember that atrocities have happened many times all over the world. I am pretty sure that, if we had recordings of the French troops under Napoleon, we would hear similar things. My reason for saying this is that enough ancient chronicles mention these atrocities being committed. Mankind does not change.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Yet the Afrika Corps had a reputation about as squeaky clean as the allied troops in Africa. Perhaps leadership is one facet?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    So then the next question is, why was this kind of event such a rarity amongst the Commonwealth troops of WW2?
    I do think that these things also happened on Commonwealth side but that it was not documented, either forgotten or kept silent because the victor writes the history. My reason for saying this is that there are a few accounts of attrocities committed by Allied and Russian soldiers. One of the first female German CEO's was apparently public about being raped by English soldiers. I personnaly spoke to an old German lady who experienced Russian planes shooting up the Germans fleeing before the Red Army. I also know of three concentration camps for Germans kept by US troops near Oldenburg in NW Germany. The commander of one of these camps used to shoot at the women and children with his service pistol. (I think I have mentioned these things in other threads.)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Because we won. And the victor gets to write history.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast