Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: .22LR barrel cutdown?

Pirate, I will most definitely look at that.

User

Ds J, which gunsmith do you use in Potch?

Banned

Carl,

I never had the need for a gunsmith on a rifle but once or twice took my rifles to Oom Louw at Advanced Guntech for a checkup after I acquired the licences.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Current barrel length is 21", cut-off length would be 15".
    Way back, before the FCA, I had a perfect 22 barrel shortened to 15". Still works a charm.

IIRC, the FCA mentions that a barrel may not be shortened, without permission from the registrar, excluding an "incidental" shortening by a gunsmith. I would rate a bulged barrel an "incident", but ask your gunsmith about the procedure.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Carl,

I never had the need for a gunsmith on a rifle but once or twice took my rifles to Oom Louw at Advanced Guntech for a checkup after I acquired the licences.

Apparently Oom Louw is in the states at the moment untill march, has somebody partially taken over from him?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Way back, before the FCA, I had a perfect 22 barrel shortened to 15". Still works a charm.

IIRC, the FCA mentions that a barrel may not be shortened, without permission from the registrar, excluding an "incidental" shortening by a gunsmith. I would rate a bulged barrel an "incident", but ask your gunsmith about the procedure.

Now before we get into what the FCA says about barrel length reduction surgery...

Do they in the first place know what your barrel length was...before surgery? its not indicated in any paperwork...
    In afrikaans we have a saying " moenie krap waar dit nie jeuk nie!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Apparently Oom Louw is in the states at the moment untill march, has somebody partially taken over from him?
    Oom Louw sold to Hannes de Kock; Hannes officially took over last June if memory serves correct. Oom Louw will be there for some time.

User

How does the registrar know what lenght the barrel is beforehand or afterwards ot is not documented in any way neither is it on the license so if it is infact in the fca how would they inforce it?

User

Yes, they don't, but we are, as always, very keen to obey the letter of the law, even it is ill conceived and unenforceable.

User

I am unable to find it now but Kayback had a thread a little while ago and in it was discussed the legality of shortening a barrel. I think it came down to the following. Without the permission of CFR a smith may shorten the barrel by 2" or in the case of a damaged barrel, remove as much necessary to remove the damaged section. The reason for the permission, I would assume, is to "prevent" one from removing 5" of barrel and make a pistol. Anyway, like I said, I cannot find the thread but if memory serves, it was something along those lines.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast