Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Warthog population - your take on it all.

Heres my go at it. A UPE student recently did her thesis on E/Cape Warthog and came to the conclusion that the population at present pressures was still growing at 42 % per year.
    The bloke at that was hired by Addo to do a environmental thinga macbob study regarding warthog said that in the 5 yrs of study sows have gone from a litter a year to 3 in two years and recently if I am correct it was said that its closer to like 5 litters in 2 years. The phenomenon of a seventh teat is becoming common place. Ok thats the scholarly side. Now me. Warthog were things you drove 100km to go hunt 13 yrs ago, now in PE we have hog all on the coast at Maitlands Schoenies and even UPE univarsity. We seeing hog at Hankey Patensie Pearson and Jansonville. There were notany two years ago at last places. You have more chance of hitting a hog driving out of PE on any east wards rd than any other animal.
    I have noticed that the number of big hogs has dropped dramatically in last 3 years but the number of smaller hogs has doubled. The hogs are getting easier to shoot and lastly as my seven year old pointed out the young boar ratio is far out weighing the sows.
    what say all yee fine men of the hunter clan.

Banned

Default Re: Warthog population - your take on it all.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...e_Eastern_Cape
    I have a real nice word and pdf on subject - how do I get it to Gunsite Page

User

VERY interesting. This is exactly my field. Thanks for sharing

User

Default Warthog population - your take on it all.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I have noticed that the number of big hogs has dropped dramatically in last 3 years but the number of smaller hogs has doubled. The hogs are getting easier to shoot and lastly as my seven year old pointed out the young boar ratio is far out weighing the sows.
    what say all yee fine men of the hunter clan.
    I've also noticed this in several areas.
    Nevermind the last 3 years. I've been seeing less and less BIG hogs for the last 10 years.

User

Interesting... It would also be good to hear whether the current drought is negatively affecting the warthog population.

I remember from one of our last droughts that the warthog population in the Lowveld was decimated at that time (but, IMHO, their numbers die down in difficult times, but breed quickly up again once the rains and good grazing grown back).

User

I don't think it's got anything to do with warthog behavior, but everything to do with human behavior.

Banned

Permanent water for domestic animals and cultivated lands providing food. The kudu in the karoo also expanded due to this

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I don't think it's got anything to do with warthog behavior, but everything to do with human behavior.
    What are your thoughts?

My BIL farms in Colesberg and over the last 10 years the warthog population has gone through the roof in the area. My uncle farms Nieu Bethesda and there were pretty much close to zero a few years ago and now they are starting to move in and about 3 years ago on a annual hunt on a now dearly departed friends farm near Cookhouse, while on the lookout for Bushbuck with my bow I startled a big boar and everyone, including Andrew told me I must have being seeing things. Luckily another friend confirmed he spotted the warthog while driving back to the house.

Anyway I don't have an answer, but one of my thoughts was that each of these farms had "new" game farms in close vicinity where warthogs were introduced, created established populations, some of which have escaped onto farms where natural predators are few and far between and then just bred like crazy from there.

Banned

They are gaining in numbers around Potchefstroom as well. I don't mind!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    This ^^^

While there is a remarkable increase in their numbers and the area they cover, from the Eastern Cape to the Karoo and Kalahari, in my area their numbers are dwindling.

I attribute their spread and breeding to the increased availability of water and food. Agricultural practices have made large parts of semi-desert habitable, and the porkers have taken advantage thereof.

The drastic decline in numbers in my area (northern lowveld, Limpopo) is most likely due to poaching pressure. Gangs of poachers with dogs, spears and snares are operating widely in the province, and the authorities are turning a blind eye. At first the areas ajacent to rural settlements were targeted. Poachers moved on foot and killed anything their dogs could corner. Warthogs usually run into their dens when chased by dogs, where the poachers then smoke or dig them out and spear them. This makes them easy targets. When the easily accesible areas were poached out, they started to go further. A gang of 4 poachers with 10+ dogs easily fit inside a minibus taxi. They get dropped off, usually after sunset, and phone the taxi driver to pick them up again when they want to return home. The "bush meat" is mostly sold at pension payout points. Law enforcement is non existent.

As the economy shrinks, and unemployment increases, expect this scourge to spread all over the country. Warthog will become scarce again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast