Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Theunsb View Post
    786dbnMJ is 100% correct in his advise.Visit them for a shoot. Get the dope. Get some pins from them. Start your own fun. Others will be hooked soon and then you guys from Dbn visit them for a league shoot.Start with two plastic 200L drums and a long wooden beam 2"x6" x say 5 feet long and 9 pins at least. Once you are hooked you will get other nuts to join you for league shoots and share travel and other costs. Before to long you will build your own pin tables.Many like to shoot few to help with the physical and admin side of the fun.Hope you understand that without some person being adamant to do it none will join.Regards
    Had a little e-mail chat with Marek today and he gave me a little background. Will have to go and see what this is all about and if the bug bites, then we'll see what happens. Fooling around with drums, beams and pins is one thing , and properly establishing/administrating/organising a club/league is another. Baby Steps for me as I am just an infant in the world of shooting. Still feeling my way through. Thanks for the encouragement though.

User

Default Re: Pin shooters on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Hi Mj.
    Will any of you KZN pin shooters be attending the upcoming Gauteng Provincial champs?

Limpopo will be there in force, defending our honour. Most GPSA trophies are residing in Limpopo at present. Hoping to teach them a few lessons again...

Regards!
    Hi A-R
    Quite a few guys are keen and they are good shooters, but they usually have only one firearm - a 9mm. So not so likely this year.
    One needs a second, more powerful gun to shoot 5pins and if it is a revolver then is good for 8 pins too.
    Pin shooting was completely unknown in Newcastle, the sport was dominated by IPSC (we have two guys in SA IPSC National team and we host National SAPS Champs for the second consecutive year). Most shooting was happening along these lines.
    Pin shooting grows, but slowly. Most guys improved their scores nicely with their first gun (and discipline) and they are looking at buying the second FA. Newcastle is not exactly the financial heart of the province, so things happen slower - food must be bought, home loan and school fees must be paid etc. What is most important - things ARE moving. Slowly and consistently.

We will get to the Provincials and Nationals, If not this year, then the next.
    Mj

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marekjan View Post
    Hi A-RQuite a few guys are keen and they are good shooters, but they usually have only one firearm - a 9mm. So not so likely this year.One needs a second, more powerful gun to shoot 5pins and if it is a revolver then is good for 8 pins too.j
    Ok, you've got my attention here. I am looking for a pistol in 9mmP, with intention of getting into sport shooting. Have to still see which game is for me. So now, according to what you say, if I take to pinshooting, then I should rather look at a revolver, but if I start IDPA or IPSC then a 9mmP is the way to go. So does this mean I should hold on with my purchase, till I know what game I want to play?

User

Quote Originally Posted by 786dbn View Post
    Ok, you've got my attention here. I am looking for a pistol in 9mmP, with intention of getting into sport shooting. Have to still see which game is for me. So now, according to what you say, if I take to pinshooting, then I should rather look at a revolver, but if I start IDPA or IPSC then a 9mmP is the way to go. So does this mean I should hold on with my purchase, till I know what game I want to play?
    Well, it is a bit like buying a car.
    First you need to know what you want and what you want to use it for. Not always easy part.
    What about the self-protection and EDC?
    Most of the guys start with 9mmP pistol. Many reasons for it.
    You can shoot IPSC production class,, IDPA SSP and ESP class and pins (9 pins tip-over discipline) as well. You don't need to go to all the way to Provincial or National matches.
    What make and model - again a lot of Qs and considerations.For guys that are in this game there is little doubt. For a relative newcomer it is like choosing a cell phone without ever using or even seeing one. I would advice you to search and read this forum as much as possible. Talk to people (there a a few very, very knowledgeable guys in Dbn (try KK on this forum) , go to ranges and gunshops, try to hold some guns, maybe some friends will let you shoot their Fas. Take your time before buying. Learn from other peoples mistakes, unless you prefer to make your own. My proposition still stands - phone me and I can give you MY opinion. To type everything takes too long .
    Cheers
    Mj

User

Well, it is a bit like buying a car.First you need to know what you want and what you want to use it for. Not always easy part.What about the self-protection and EDC?Most of the guys start with 9mmP pistol. Many reasons for it. You can shoot IPSC production class,, IDPA SSP and ESP class and pins (9 pins tip-over discipline) as well. You don't need to go to all the way to Provincial or National matches. What make and model - again a lot of Qs and considerations.For guys that are in this game there is little doubt. For a relative newcomer it is like choosing a cell phone without ever using or even seeing one. I would advice you to search and read this forum as much as possible. Talk to people (there a a few very, very knowledgeable guys in Dbn (try KK on this forum) , go to ranges and gunshops, try to hold some guns, maybe some friends will let you shoot their Fas. Take your time before buying. Learn from other peoples mistakes, unless you prefer to make your own. My proposition still stands - phone me and I can give you MY opinion. To type everything takes too long .CheersMj
    I do have a cz83 (9mmk) as my current SD weapon and have an option to my brother's Taurus .357 magnum revolver but would rather get a 9mmP pistol as it is multi-purpose (better SD weapon + Sport Gun)However, if i go the pinshooting route, then the rollie it will have to be. Oh bugger it, i'll just take the rollie + get the 9mmP. There, dilemma is over :-)

User

786dbn

To be competitive at higher levels, jou need at least 2 handguns: A 9mm or larger pistol and 357Mag or larger revolver. But to get started, your CZ83 is fully adequate. You can shoot decent 9-Pin times with it, while you learn the ropes, earn your DSS, and decide what handguns you want to purchace next.

I started my pin-shooting career with my G19 EDC gun and Ruger Redhawk 7,5" hunting revolver. Took 3rd place with them at my first nationals.

Currently, I use a compensated 9mmP for 9-pin, and an 8-shot Taurus 608 in 357Mag for the 5-pin (pistol or revolver) and 8-pin (revolver only) events. Normal 6-shot revolvers also feature regularly in the top scores, so do not disregard a good one.

The "ideal" pin shooting battery would likely look like this:
    9-pin Tip-over: CZ SP01 Shadow, G34 or similar. 40's and 45's also do very well, and "normal" 9mm are very popular.
    5-pin Stock Gun and Pin Gun: 1911 in 45ACP. Revolvers are allowed and 357's and 44's do very well.
    8-pin Stock Revolver and Pin Revolver: S&W 627 8-shot revolver. Taurus 608 does well and various other 6-shot 357 and 44 revolvers are popular. A S&W 625 in 45ACP should also be great.
    Since a single revolver can compete in al 4 (5-pin and 8-pin) events, several competitors do so. Affordable guns are the norm, also amongst the top competitors.

This is not an equipment race. Skills are what you need to win, so practice pays off.

Also do not disregard all the fun (former "elective") events. These are run as and when ranges and time allows. Included are the various .22 Rimfire (pistol, revolver, manual and SL rifle) events, shotgun (manual and SL), rifle (308+ manual and SL), light rifle (223 manual and SL), pocket pistol, snubby revolver and carbine (handgun cal) events. Great fun!

So, go shoot with Mj and see if you like it. Beware, pin shooting is highly addictive!

Mj,

If any of you guys want to attend a provincial or national champs, do not let a lack of equipment keep you away. I, and most other shooters are most willing to lend you the needed hardware. Most of us now own spare FA's, so it won't inconvenience us at all. Practice might be a problem, but I'm quite sure plans can be made.

And once you have shot everybody's guns, you will have a much better idea of what you want to acquire next. Let me know what you need...

User

Mj,

If any of you guys want to attend a provincial or national champs, do not let a lack of equipment keep you away. I, and most other shooters are most willing to lend you the needed hardware. Most of us now own spare FA's, so it won't inconvenience us at all. Practice might be a problem, but I'm quite sure plans can be made.

And once you have shot everybody's guns, you will have a much better idea of what you want to acquire next. Let me know what you need...
    Wow, thanks a lot, A-R
    This is a very generous proposition, And very tempting, too. I have 357 Taurus six shot so I was rather speaking about the other members. With the champs behind the corner (17/18 of May) and the closing date on the 2nd it may be difficult to make arrangements. But, let's see what can be done. Thanks again for the great offer to help. Will let you know if something materializes.
    Mj

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    786dbnTo be competitive at higher levels, jou need at least 2 handguns: A 9mm or larger pistol and 357Mag or larger revolver. But to get started, your CZ83 is fully adequate. You can shoot decent 9-Pin times with it, while you learn the ropes, earn your DSS, and decide what handguns you want to purchace next.I started my pin-shooting career with my G19 EDC gun and Ruger Redhawk 7,5" hunting revolver. Took 3rd place with them at my first nationals.Currently, I use a compensated 9mmP for 9-pin, and an 8-shot Taurus 608 in 357Mag for the 5-pin (pistol or revolver) and 8-pin (revolver only) events. Normal 6-shot revolvers also feature regularly in the top scores, so do not disregard a good one.The "ideal" pin shooting battery would likely look like this:9-pin Tip-over: CZ SP01 Shadow, G34 or similar. 40's and 45's also do very well, and "normal" 9mm are very popular.5-pin Stock Gun and Pin Gun: 1911 in 45ACP. Revolvers are allowed and 357's and 44's do very well.8-pin Stock Revolver and Pin Revolver: S&W 627 8-shot revolver. Taurus 608 does well and various other 6-shot 357 and 44 revolvers are popular. A S&W 625 in 45ACP should also be great.Since a single revolver can compete in al 4 (5-pin and 8-pin) events, several competitors do so. Affordable guns are the norm, also amongst the top competitors.This is not an equipment race. Skills are what you need to win, so practice pays off.Also do not disregard all the fun (former "elective") events. These are run as and when ranges and time allows. Included are the various .22 Rimfire (pistol, revolver, manual and SL rifle) events, shotgun (manual and SL), rifle (308+ manual and SL), light rifle (223 manual and SL), pocket pistol, snubby revolver and carbine (handgun cal) events. Great fun!So, go shoot with Mj and see if you like it. Beware, pin shooting is highly addictive!.
    Thank you for the info and encouragement. Much appreciated. Never considered that the cz83 would be adequate to pariticipate. Now to make my way to a shoot. Mj has sent me their timetable so I'll have to plan my next work trip to Newcastle to coincide with a shoot.

User

Wow, thanks a lot, A-R
    This is a very generous proposition, And very tempting, too. I have 357 Taurus six shot so I was rather speaking about the other members. With the champs behind the corner (17/18 of May) and the closing date on the 2nd it may be difficult to make arrangements. But, let's see what can be done. Thanks again for the great offer to help. Will let you know if something materializes.
    Mj
    Attending the prov champs will expose you to the expertly organized and run GPSA (Gauteng Pin Shooting Association). Always worthwhile! And there is no exposure like match exposure. Hope you can make it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 786dbn View Post
    Thank you for the info and encouragement. Much appreciated. Never considered that the cz83 would be adequate to pariticipate. Now to make my way to a shoot. Mj has sent me their timetable so I'll have to plan my next work trip to Newcastle to coincide with a shoot.
    Once you have upgraded to a full-size pistol, your CZ83 will still give excellent service in the "Pocket Pistol" event. This popular event is basically open to any center-fire pistol with a barrel length of less than 99mm.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast