Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default The ultimate steak?

I know there are many ways to cook a steak. Ive always done mine on the braai with a bit of basting and some spices. I am keen to learn and try different ways.

So I would like to know how you select (quality and cut), prepare, cook and serve your steak? Any tips and tricks?

Look forward to some replies

User

Default Re: The ultimate steak?

I like getting my rump from a cousin on the farm but not always easy.

I try for a few week hung rump, lay the rump in olive oil for a few minutes.
    Over really hot almost flaming coals place the steak on the grid, once the oil drips and I get some flame I toss some course salt over. If the flame dies I toss a bit more oil. Turn often 1,5min and repeat.
    I remove the steak after both sides have seen their gat, slice and grind some black pepper on the slices. I normally serve this as a starter.

User

Thick (around 3-5cm) must have a hearty layer of fat. I only buy aged steak thats vacuum sealed.

Depending on my mood I'll either marinate it in Balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and my spice mix. Or I'll pat it dry with kitchen towels and rub with my own spice rub.

Marinade will sit for 6 hours.
    Dry rub will sit for about 45min.
    Either way meat is always cooked at room temp. Never from fridge to fire.

I eat my steak rare, so it's on the fire briefly making sure the fat is cooked through. Then it rests while I kill the wife's a bit more.

This is assuming we are talking Rump, Club steak and fire or pan it's the same for me.

User

Firstly, you don't "cook" a steak. Ever. Right, let's move on.

Secondly, you need good meat. That's a huge problem as 99,67% of beef come from feed lots, ie grain fed (and antibiotics and other nasties).

So look for GRASS FED, ie free-range beef.

Thirdly, throw away the marinades. Good beef does not need this. Adding spices beforehand that include salt will dehydrate the meat - ask anyone who makes biltong. Salt added on your plate afterwards.

Good steak needs salt, coarse pepper and maybe butter. Or a bearnaise sauce, mon ami.

You have a few options, but all involve high heat. Braaiing is one of the worst methods, but if you have to, make sure you cannot keep your hand at braai level for more than 4 seconds max. More, and your fire is too cold.

Gas works great. Or you can experiment with the restaurant (not family steakhouse) method of searing steaks and then putting pan in oven.

Aim for 180 degrees at anything from 5-8 minutes, depending on how you like it.

And if you like your steak well done ignore all of the above en fok net voort. Gooi hom dood met Jimmy's en skink vir jouself nog 'n brannas, jou rowwe bliksem.

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I like getting my rump from a cousin on the farm but not always easy.

I try for a few week hung rump, lay the rump in olive oil for a few minutes.
    Over really hot almost flaming coals place the steak on the grid, once the oil drips and I get some flame I toss some course salt over. If the flame dies I toss a bit more oil. Turn often 1,5min and repeat.
    I remove the steak after both sides have seen their gat, slice and grind some black pepper on the slices. I normally serve this as a starter.
    Meant to say after 1,5min not often.

User

Preferably dry aged, if you can find. Otherwise nice and thick of whatever you can find.
    Always braai from room temperature.
    Hot coals (if you're wondering if its too hot, its already too late). Use proper hardwood!!!
    3-4 mins a side
    Take it off and rest it for a minimum of 5mins. This is important!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Braaiing is one of the worst methods, but if you have to, make sure you cannot keep your hand at braai level for more than 4 seconds max. More, and your fire is too cold.

Gas works great.
    No-one braais because "they have to"...

Just pulling your leg. I'm sure there are merits to using gas, I just prefer my briquette Weber by a long way.

User

Marinade a mature steak in a mixture of 1/3rd olive oil, 1/3rd Worcestershire sauce and 1/3rd lemon juice for a day.
    Just salt and pepper on the braai to taste
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by speensalf View Post
    Just pulling your leg. I'm sure there are merits to using gas, I just prefer my briquette Weber by a long way.
    BRIQUETTES?!! Sorry dude, you're going to hand in your man card.

Gas grills are perfect for steaks.

PS: I buy braai wood 1000 pieces at a time. Don't knock gas if you haven't tried it.

User

Lol I actually joked to myself that asking men how to best prepare a steak is like asking 9mm or .45 / Glock or CZ / Toyota or Landrover

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast