Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Hunting binoculars

Not sure whether this is posted in the correct place, or if there is even a definitive answer. I need to get myself a set of descent binoculars and all the normal requirements of weight, clarity, cost, magnification, etc apply. Would R3000-R4000 be a realistic budget? If so, what would your suggestions be? If my budget is not correct, what should it be and what would your suggestions then be?

Default Re: Hunting binoculars

Nikon Monarch 3 10x42. Best value for money roof prism I've seen.

Should fall nicely within that budget.

For hunting the 10 is good, for birding the 8 is preferable.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I've got the Vortex Diamondback 8x42 and love them! Clarity is brilliant. Also, a used it last year on a night time game drive, to spot Lion, stalking a herd of buffalo, and I couldn't believe how much light they took in? First time using Bino's at night, and couldn't believe how they worked!

User

I have a pair of Olympus EXWP I 8x42 nitrogen filled waterproof binos, they are awesome. I am however looking for a slightly further ranged pair something in the 10x50 range. So following with interest.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Nikon Monarch 3 10x42. Best value for money roof prism I've seen.

Should fall nicely within that budget.

For hunting the 10 is good, for birding the 8 is preferable.
    Funnily enough I am also in the market for a new hunting Bino. Would you say the 10x42 is the one to get? I have an old 7x50 Tasco Zip Focus but it is heavy and cumbersome so hardly gets used. Are these roof prism binos much easier to live with?

As a semi-avid birder I much prefer roof prisms, but you need to buy good quality for them to be "better" than the ordinary porro-prisms.

They are lighter and more compact, and yes, the clarity difference is very apparent.

I have a Bushnell Excursion EX 10x42, bought quite a few years ago. My brother has a Swarovski 10x42 HD, and geez that thing is bright, but not so as to give me buyer's remorse, I am still very happy with mine.

I have not looked through a lot of them, but the Nikon stood out for me as good quality for cheaper than my Bushnell.

10x42 is about the max I would go. In hindsight, I should have gone with an 8x42, but for hunting the 10 is great.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

We have a Nikon Monarch 5, 8 x 42. My wife uses it for birding. Great bino. Should also fall nicely into your budget.

User

I got a set of Leupold Acadia's in 8x42 for the glove-box in the bakkie and the Cascades for around my neck. Have a look on bid or buy they have both there, Acadia go around R4,2k in 8x42 and around R4,6k in 10x42, if you are willing to push the budget to just a lick under R5k you can get the cascades in 8x42 there for R4975. Ebay might also render some good options.
    If you have a Wildman Outlet near to you, go have a look there too.

Anyone here ever used the Rudolph Optics Bino's???

User

I have a Nikon Sporter 8 x 42. Very happy with it.

User

ok, so I am going to break the template here... my hunting binos get thrown around and knocked a lot. I am not particularly cautious ... hence I bought a cheap Tasco 10x50 which on Makro easter special set me back the handsome some of R300. It is bright enough for what I need, so far, it has not broken, and I have had it for the better part of 8 years. Yes, I also have a Lynx, but at the R2400 I paid for it at the time, I keep it in the car for when we go game viewing or such...

so for me it is cheap and cheerful, and replace with similar when the time comes....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast