Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Best use of 100 rounds of ammo

Hi

I have started shooting IPSC and can afford to shoot 100 rounds of ammo per week as practice. What would be the best drills to maximise the ammo use? My current focus is on accuracy, so 50 of those rounds go to dot torture. I don't have a shot timer as yet, so staying away from the speed drills as I have no reference point for measurement.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

User

Default Re: Best use of 100 rounds of ammo

Have you looked at the venti 100?

User

As time goes by... you will start to realize what part of your shooting requires 'focus'. You need to go to the range 'with a plan'.

I will do some of my practice time on all the items. Groups (5m to 25m), movement, one-handed shooting, target trasitions and movement. However, I will always have 1 single specific focus area to work on for that days practice, so the balance of the session (and the majority of the rounds used will be focused on that specifically).

Lately, my focus is on improving my movement and shooting on the move. So I do a part my session on the 'general' stuff above, but then spend the majority on the movement part.

The next session I might focus on weak-handed shooting.

If you are still new to the game, it will take some time to start identifying those area's that you need to work on, and that will only really become apparent when you start analyzing your match results after shooting for a while.

I would suggest, for now, that you focus on accuracy (as you are doing), but extend that out to 25m as well (on plate sized targets).
    Include draw to single shot drills, and draws with 2 shots to a single target. (varying distances)
    Others which are worthwhile include draw, fire 2, reload, fire 2. (varying distances)

All of these will be aimed at ensuring your fundamentals are covered for now.

Still lots to come though, but the 'basics' is where you should focus for the immediate future. Hitting targets on demand (and scoring well) is probably the most important aspect of the game. The draw to fire, with reloads etc can also be practiced extensively at home with dry-fire Your live-fire should be used to verify that your dry-fire exercises are paying dividends, and that you are scoring well on the targets when it comes to actually squirting off live ammo.

Banned

If you can afford 400 rounds per month, you should be able to afford a reloading kit. Which will allow you to afford 1000 rounds per month in the long run.

User

Google "dry fire routine" at pistol-training.c

User

5 shot groups from 10-30m
    Call it or leave it drill

Goes without saying, at least 15min of dry fire 3 times a week at a minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    As time goes by... you will start to realize what part of your shooting requires 'focus'. You need to go to the range 'with a plan'.

I will do some of my practice time on all the items. Groups (5m to 25m), movement, one-handed shooting, target trasitions and movement. However, I will always have 1 single specific focus area to work on for that days practice, so the balance of the session (and the majority of the rounds used will be focused on that specifically).

Lately, my focus is on improving my movement and shooting on the move. So I do a part my session on the 'general' stuff above, but then spend the majority on the movement part.

The next session I might focus on weak-handed shooting.

If you are still new to the game, it will take some time to start identifying those area's that you need to work on, and that will only really become apparent when you start analyzing your match results after shooting for a while.

I would suggest, for now, that you focus on accuracy (as you are doing), but extend that out to 25m as well (on plate sized targets).
    Include draw to single shot drills, and draws with 2 shots to a single target. (varying distances)
    Others which are worthwhile include draw, fire 2, reload, fire 2. (varying distances)

All of these will be aimed at ensuring your fundamentals are covered for now.

Still lots to come though, but the 'basics' is where you should focus for the immediate future. Hitting targets on demand (and scoring well) is probably the most important aspect of the game. The draw to fire, with reloads etc can also be practiced extensively at home with dry-fire Your live-fire should be used to verify that your dry-fire exercises are paying dividends, and that you are scoring well on the targets when it comes to actually squirting off live ammo.
    Thanks, very sensible. The idea was to use the first 4 months to practice accuracy, then look at shooting a bit faster the next four months and working on movement thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    Have you looked at the venti 100?
    Will definitely give that a try this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDijeaux View Post
    If you can afford 400 rounds per month, you should be able to afford a reloading kit. Which will allow you to afford 1000 rounds per month in the long run.

I am currently reloading. I have learnt 2 things in my short time shooting, you cant shoot faster than your skill level and you cant shoot more than you can afford to :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by husainudeen View Post
    Will definitely give that a try this weekend
    http://www.haleystrategic.com/image/...arget_Pack.zip

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast