Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default First time rifle owner!

Good day friends, I have to aquire a good working rifle for my little game farm that I aquired. I have decided upon two possible cal. namely the 308 and the 30-06.

I am stunned by the number of rifles available new below R10 000.00. I can for instance get a brand new Vektor K98 in 308 for R9500.00 and some Zastava. Mossberg, weatherby and Howa rifles for cheaper. What is a good working rifle and what advice can anyone offer me.

Regards,

Pieter.

User

Where is your "little game farm" & what species occur there?

User

If your choice is between .308Win and 30-06 Spr then I would go for the 30-06. Both are widely available and ammo easily obtainable however the 30-06 will be a lot more versatile due to higher velocities with all bullet weights and the ability to shoot bullets up to 250gr whereas the .308 is limited to 200gr bullets.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Default What rifle to buy?

Good day Trommel.
    As obasch has responded you must look at the animals you have and the type of terain. Will you be doing long shots or is it bushveld?
    I have used a 308 for many years for springbuck to gemsbuck and bluewildebeest. I do not do long shots. For a small game farm i would look at a 3006 and perhaps even a 300H+H.
    Good luck.

User

I have both a 30-06 Musgrave as well as the 308 Howa.

I am very happy with both. Both are very acurate. I agree however with Sean. The 30-06 is more versatile than the 308. I do however find that the 308 is a bit more accurate. But the difference is really very small. Almost not even worth mentioning. You can also shoot a greater veriaty of bullet weights with the 30-06 when it comes to hunting.

308 = 110gr to 200gr(max)
    30-06 = 110gr to 250gr.

If you really can have only one, take the 30-06.
    Last edited by Wismit; 26-03-2010 at 13:55.

User

Hi Trommel.

From whom can you get the Vektor .308? That would definitely be my choice. I have just bought a .308 after I have done my homework and for me the .308 was perfect. I have spoken to lots of people and although the 30-06 is a bit more versatile the .308 is just as good. Specially in the bushveld for anything up to Kudu. The .308 is a bit softer in the shoulder that makes it more enjoyable to shoot. For me anyway. The Vektor .308 was my first choice because of the excellent barrels they make.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards
    Pierré

Hi Trommel,

If it is a Bushveld farm:30-06 using 180 gr bullets

Other type of terrain:30-06 usnig 150gr bullets.

Stick to one bullet and learn to shoot it properly.

Try to get your hands on a good secondhand Musgrave or BRNO.

User

You cannot go wrong with a .30-06. It is the world's most popular hunting cartridge for good reason. Absolutely nothing wrong with a .308 Win either, but as mentioned the .30-06 gives options for bullets heavier than 200 grains should you require these for larger animals such as wildebeest/kudu bulls and even eland.

The new rifles such as Zastava, Howa and Weatherby are all excellent value for money. Buy the one which feels right to you. I have a preference for Zastava but that is because I have a personal love for Mauser actions. You will know which one is right for you when you bring it to your shoulder.

Default Ixnay on the Mossberg...don't buy it.

Trommel,
    Either calibre will do fine.

My only comment is DO NOT buy the Mossberg. Do a websearch and you will find many issues that have arisen with them, some very dangerous. I am currently at grad school in Canada and local shop here has reported that many have been returned, mostly with broken bolt sleaves and only a few rounds through them. The bolt collar is only press fitted and not splined like the bolt body, hence it starts rotating without actually rotating the bolt itself. Some in the US were firing without being properly in battery - i.e. the bolt could fly back into your head.

Howa's are great, Vektor K98 and Zastava are good working rifles and I see that the Marlin XL7's are in SA now. They are cheaper than the Mossberg and very nice rifle! Basically the entry level market in N America is rules by Marlin, Savage and Howa, for good reason, they are all good rifles.

User

Hi Guys,

Let me answer the questions first. I think only 1 rifle for now as I would have loved a .22 for the light work and general duties.(do we get the .177 carbine in our country and what is its applications?) and have to go throught the whole license process and the time attached to it seems a issue.

The farm is between Nylstroom and Warmbaths not very big with Zebra, Kudu, Impala, Nyala, Mountain Rheedbuck, Duiker, Ostrich, Warthog and bushpig. I might get some Wildebeest or something else at a later stage.

I have taken note of the comments on the Mossberg scenario. I must say that I quite like the Marlin rifles but my first choice would be South African. A nice new Vektor K98 will compliment my Vektor SP1 perfectly for which I have the worlds respect.

When buying a second hand rifle, what should I look for, what wears out?

Thanks,

Pieter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast