Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Firearms Developed and Manufactured in Southern Africa 1949-2000

This is an appeal to assist us in putting the final touches to our new Southern African firearms reference guide which will be launched in June.

In the eight years which we have been on this project, we have traced, examined and photographed all but seventeen of the 186 firearms which we cover in our book. The list below is of the firearms which we are missing photographs of.

If you own one of these firearms or can access one or even know where we can find one, please contact me on PM so we can set it up.

Time is short since we are on finals and have to deliver our manuscript to the printers on 15th May. We would prefer not to close without these photographs but will so do if we have to.

Many thanks for any assistance that may be coming.

Barnes, Gary
    BXP Phoenix submachine gun
    BXP Firebird

Bulawayo Armoury
    TS III submachine gun

Bulawayo Engineering
    Rhogun submachine gun

Cape Armoury
    StelconMk III silenced rifle

Cementation / Techno Arms
    MAG7 pump action shotgun wooden stock

Combat Arms
    SH-9/25 submachine gun

Musgrave
    K98 Scout rifle
    Model 2000 rifle
    MusgraveCombination rifle
    VrystaatMk I and Mk II rifles

Wolmarans, Roche
    15 shot shotgun

Vektor
    CP1 semi-automatic pistol (blank fire gas gun)
    Lytteltonhunting rifle
    Bosveldhunting rifle
    Magnumhunting rifle
    MagnumMauser hunting rifle
    Last edited by Chas Lotter; 12-03-2016 at 18:27. Reason: spacing

Default Re: Firearms Developed and Manufactured in Southern Africa 1949-2000

For interest - our book cover.

...and some information on the contents.

One hundred and eighty local firearms are covered in this new reference guide. If your firearm is not in this book then it is either a completely unknown extremely scarce Southern African design or it was not designed and manufactured during the period after the Second World War in either South Africa or Rhodesia (as the country was called until 1980). The full story of these firearms and of the people who designed them has never before been told.

This new firearms reference guide is the result of eight years of hard work by the Pretoria Arms and Ammunition Association. A team of twelve PAAA researchers (all experts in their own fields) has traced and interviewed many of the people who were involved in the local firearms industry at that time, scanned hundreds of original documents and taken thousands of photographs of the firearms which they have found.

The book not only comprehensively covers the technical data on Southern African hunting rifles, sporting arms, handguns and military firearms but also tells the story of the companies which manufactured them, the designers who created them and the people who made them. Interesting characters such as Ben Musgrave(Snr), Joe Gebert, Willi Klotz and Alex du Plessis appear in these pages.

Many of the firearm designs which never went into production and were never seen by the public have been covered. Where possible, the reason for the design and the reason why the firearm never went into production are covered.

Even short special production runs of firearms such as the Musgrave Anglo-Boer Commemorative Mauser and the Prima Seleksies Anglo-Boer War Centenary Plezier Mauser are covered. Such rifles are prime examples of the art of both the master gunsmith and the master engraver.

For those who have an interest in the Rhodesian War, there is a detailed chapter on the firearm industry in that country during the late 1970’s. This covers both the firearms themselves and the manufacture of the accessories and components for Rhodesian military firearms.

Neither is the material covering the period presented in isolation. A historical perspective covers the story of firearms in Southern Africa from the first recorded use of gunpowder (St Helena Bay, 12th November 1497) and through the post-war period before touching briefly on the state of the local industry in the 21st century.

Chapters are written by individual PAAA research team members and the book itself is edited by Chas Lotter. The final material has been reviewed by a team of fifteen. The end result is a quality, full-colour, photo rich, hardback A4 book which is packed with information and runs to over four hundred pages.
    Last edited by Chas Lotter; 12-03-2016 at 18:48. Reason: spacing

User

Niiiice

User

Very Nice, Can't wait to see the finished book.

Guys, I am glad you like it and I hope you buy yourselves a copy but can anyone help us trace those last seventeen firearms?

User

Looking forward to the launch. Cant help with the pictures unfortunately...

User

Can't wait to purchase a copy...We had the 'ADP' (copy of Glock) by Alex Duplessis, The Finat 6,35 (copy of Baby Browning) which later became a paper weight, We had a 16 or 17 round 9mmp in the late 80's that used a see through magazine ( the name will come to me). (I have one of the magazines for display purposes in my class). I am sorry I cannot give full details of the above.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mattblom View Post
    Can't wait to purchase a copy...We had the 'ADP' (copy of Glock) by Alex Duplessis, The Finat 6,35 (copy of Baby Browning) which later became a paper weight, We had a 16 or 17 round 9mmp in the late 80's that used a see through magazine ( the name will come to me). (I have one of the magazines for display purposes in my class). I am sorry I cannot give full details of the above.
    The Finat 6,35 started out with a different name; the name of the original financial backer. The developer then bought out the partner, and the name was changed to Finat. I used to know the developer.

User

I am actually sure there is a Rhogun up for auction on Classic Arms auction nr 53.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast