Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default The AK74 in South Africa

This thread is merely out of curiosity having seen the AK74 being mentioned in the other thread.
    Are there any members here who own any? How do you manage to find ammunition for it? Do you reload for it?
    On the same note, last year at the Kalashnikov stand at Huntex, the rep said it is no problem bringing in 5.45x39 models, they will be slightly cheaper, however it is not feasible as ammo is a problem.

User

Default Re: The AK74 in South Africa

There are a few rare examples. I know of two, but virtually no ammo to be had.

I'd love one.

User

Much the same situation here in NZ, there are a few out there and one can buy the "sporterised" versions easily enough but the ammunition is virtually non-existent.

User

well the good news is GI COMBAT SUPPLIES were selling 74 mags for like R200, pretty sure it was a wrong order

I have two of them and I know of another two. It took me 9 months to find ammo for them and im a dealer.
    However, because ive been through this exercise before it would now be a lot easier to get some ammo. The problem is that the suppliers want us to order bulk or they wont even talk to us.

I would love to bring them in! The question is? How many would we sell to make it worthwhile
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

On the reloading front, its next to impossible. Peter Wells on this site managed to organise me 545 dies that can be used to reform 556 brass (thanks again Pete)
    But that's not the problem! So now I can make the brass, what about the bullets? The closest I can find is 221 Russian (try get that here!) I have looked at 220, 22-250 and everything like that, even considered 221 fireball. They just wont work

Yes yes we can swage bullets, but at this point its starting to sound like work! Im not a reloading expert by any means and im sure many on here including Andy37 will have a solution, but fuck it, I want to shoot! Not spend my life infront of a reloading bench
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spiggs View Post
    So now I can make the brass, what about the bullets? The closest I can find is 221 Russian (try get that here!) I have looked at 220, 22-250 and everything like that, even considered 221 fireball. They just wont work

Yes yes we can swage bullets, but at this point its starting to sound like work! Im not a reloading expert by any means and im sure many on here including Andy37 will have a solution, but fuck it, I want to shoot! Not spend my life infront of a reloading bench
    Spiggs, have you contacted any of the local producers? I am sure that one of them would be willing to make a batch if the order is big enough?

You might need to take mono's for a start but that should be doable, or am I missing something? Hawkbullets need to be imported with some trouble - they don't export to SA.

http://sapremiumbullets.yolasite.com/

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/faqcustom.html

http://www.hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

User

I have a collector friend with I think 2 x 20 rnd boxes of ammo if you guys are Interested.

User

Quote Originally Posted by spiggs View Post
    On the reloading front, its next to impossible. Peter Wells on this site managed to organise me 545 dies that can be used to reform 556 brass (thanks again Pete)
    But that's not the problem! So now I can make the brass, what about the bullets? The closest I can find is 221 Russian (try get that here!) I have looked at 220, 22-250 and everything like that, even considered 221 fireball. They just wont work

This casts a complete picture of the scenario, thanks .

User

Excuse my ignorance but does the bullet have to be .221 diameter or will .222 work ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast