Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Banned

Default Re: Husband wakes up and shoots dead home invader already on bed

The public sector works like this: The jobs monkeys (monkeys come in all colours) can do are staffed by monkeys. The jobs only experts can do are staffed by experts. The problems usually reside right at the bottom or right at the top, but rarely in the middle. In other words, with either the monkeys or management, not with the guys doing the complicated stuff.

User

Silly suggestion for the under the pillow vs bed side table discussion.

Proper security layers, beams (external and in the roof), hallway gate and descent "burglar bars" in front of the bed room windows (should your house layout permit it) should negate the whole waking up with someone pointing your gun in your face thing.
    Add a little stoep kakkertjie in the above mix and odds are you will know they are there long before they breach your personal space.

Funny how we tend to neglect the complete setup until after something has gone wrong and then we scramble to fix it. (Guilty as charged - broken security lights and missing the additional two gates this time last year)

@1911
    Thank you for al the info so far, it certainly has answered some of my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDijeaux View Post
    Probably to keep children safe. I'm not saying it makes sense, given the requirement that they be kept in a safe and you must have exclusive access to it, but that's what I suspect the intention was. Though no one would know for sure unless they sat in when the act was debated.
    I ws not there during the debates but yes, you can bet the "its for the children" line was trotted out.

It has nothing to do with kids, it has to do with making difficult to get the firearm when you need it. The law abiding folk who think about buying a gun won't because they'll have to store it in a safe and unloaded. This makes it less likely they'll buy a gun in the first place. Of course, when a house like that is invaded, gun controllers can say: "he had a gun and it was used against him". Its all about making gun ownership difficult and risky to the law-abiding citizen.

Nothing to do with safety.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    I ws not there during the debates but yes, you can bet the "its for the children" line was trotted out.

It has nothing to do with kids, it has to do with making difficult to get the firearm when you need it. The law abiding folk who think about buying a gun won't because they'll have to store it in a safe and unloaded. This makes it less likely they'll buy a gun in the first place. Of course, when a house like that is invaded, gun controllers can say: "he had a gun and it was used against him". Its all about making gun ownership difficult and risky to the law-abiding citizen.

Yip, anything to make it more difficult for crime-free us....

User

I don't have small kids, the pillow way with or without a cover was make me feel uneasy, so I went this way:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160208_155924.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	22130

Duvet covers it, easy access.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post

Post of the day^

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10