Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CCTV Direct

User

Default Re: CCTV Direct

The problem with the cheap cameras according to him really only shows at night. Most of these cheap day/night cameras have a lot of IR led's, but the IR reflects off of the camera housing's lens, straight into the camera, thereby partially "blinding" the camera.

Try also Provison ISR range. value for money. The most common problem with IR at night is that most of the cameras have a very short bracket (5cm) . This means that the camera is basicly next to the wall and the IR is reflecting from the wall creating the blinding effect. If you experience this just get a bracket that the camera is a 10 cm or more away from the wals or mount on another wall. if the gutter blinds the camera paint the bottom part of the gutter black for about 10cm. Solved my problems

User

Anyone knows about shops in Pretoria sell HD-TVI CCTV cameras and tri-brid DVRs with after-sale support? It seems HD-TVI is better than HD-CVI. Stafix shop is good for after-sale support but it is selling HD-CVI CCTV cameras.

Having setup CCTV systems for corporates. I highly recommend you find a reputable dealer with the appropriate knowledge of locally available products. They products are on a rapid development life cycle. Unfortunately brand name mean nothing, many brands make budget and top end equipment and the only thing common to them is the name on the side.

I recommend a GeoVision accredited supplier. The highveld has some unique environment conditions. What works in KZN does not work as well up here.

Cheap CAT5E cable meets standards. Cheap coax does not. Good coax is better than good Cat 5E.

I highly recommend that you install indoor cameras facing the doors.

My maid does not have access to the CCTV DVR. However we have a small CRT in the kitchen that monitors the gate.

And if you have a safe haven.
    The camera system must be accessible without leaving the safe haven.
    There are indoor cameras that face the approach to the safe haven.
    Given SA power issues. A good UPS is important.
    Grounding is most overlooked.

You need a system that is easy for the wife to use.

Choose one that integrates with your other defense systems. And one that you can expand later.

In the end you need to decide what you want out of the system. Home us is mainly early warning and not FACE recognition. 1080p is not a good indicator of quality

As an example. If I am out late at night. Prior to going home, I check the exterior cameras on my smart phone. Uplink speed is important. FTTH is only good if you have better uplink speed.

User

After some readings my opinion has changed. It seems HD- CVI is better than HD-TVI technology. Both are similar technologies and made revolution in analogue cameras. HD-CVI was developed by Dahua Technology Co Ltd. HD-TVI was developed by Hikvision Digital Technology Co Ltd partnered with Techpoint

“Unlike Dahua, Hikvision has opted for a more “open source” approach. Instead of taking the sole manufacturer route of specific components, they have opted to release the information necessary for other manufacturers to produce their own variations (presumably for a price).
    There has been a lot of debate regarding the way in which Dahua and Hikvision have released HDCVI and HDTVI. A lot of people are on Hikvision’s side here, but we’re not entirely sure why and we’re not alone. Open source seems to make them the good guys in this scenario but the side effects of it in this industry have been detrimental; so much so that people have been second guessing HDTVI altogether lately. The fact is no one is producing better HDTVI products than Hikvision, and if they do, we haven’t seen them yet. All this means is that they’ve opened the doors and unleashed a flood of faulty and cheap variations on the market."
    http://www.cctvcameraworld.com/hdcvi...rison-hd-coax/

Plus in Pretoria Stafix which is selling HD-CVI is good for after sales support. It has branches all over SA too.

User

A GS search revealed this thread and a much older one on home CCTV.

I see Hikvision mentioned favourably in this thread. I asked a guy to install Hikvision cameras, but instead he has installed Augen. Does anyone know this brand ? The daytime quality seems good. As people above have mentioned, just the fact that a camera is listed as 1080p probably doesn't tell the whole story. These Augen cameras are supposedly 1080p capable and so too is the DVR capable of storing at that resolution. I'm not looking for "facial recognition" quality, but when one looks at a single channel full screen, it is pretty kak !

The main reason for wanting it is to be able to check remotely when I am out if all is OK and when I am home in the lounge or bedroom, I will hopefully be able to notice movement of intruders on the monitors.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post

I see Hikvision mentioned favourably in this thread. I asked a guy to install Hikvision cameras, but instead he has installed Augen. Does anyone know this brand ? The daytime quality seems good. As people above have mentioned, just the fact that a camera is listed as 1080p probably doesn't tell the whole story. These Augen cameras are supposedly 1080p capable and so too is the DVR capable of storing at that resolution. I'm not looking for "facial recognition" quality, but when one looks at a single channel full screen, it is pretty kak !

The main reason for wanting it is to be able to check remotely when I am out if all is OK and when I am home in the lounge or bedroom, I will hopefully be able to notice movement of intruders on the monitors.
    I recently changed my cameras to the HiKvision ones from the CCTVDirect ones I originally bought. I also upgraded my DVR.
    Initially I thought I only want to be able to see if there is something, but looking at the footage after our robbery I realized that good picture quality makes a difference. Our picture quality was just good enough to see what happened, but you could not identify the perps. When I do this again I will probably fit IP cameras. Also make sure you have a guarantee on those cameras as our picture quality was "acceptable" at first but within a year the lenses lost clarity. You can actually see the haze on the lenses.

Edit. Don't fit the DVR in your bedroom. The cooling fan drives your wife nuts while you are fast asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post

Why not get a camera system that does this for you? An IP camera with zones can do it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Why not get a camera system that does this for you? An IP camera with zones can do it.
    They are not perfect. Lots of false alarms with dogs/Hadida's. If you want movement alarms get proper beams. The cameras work well to see what made the alarm. Also have your cameras cover the same areas that are covered by the beams. It sucks having a alarm at 2am but having blind-spots that the beams cover but not the cameras.

User

Thanks - these are IP cameras. I was specifically asking about the make "Augen".

The cameras are set to record on motion only. I do not want to use the camera motion detection as an alarm as I have external beams for that purpose. Some of the cameras pick up passing cars in the distance, so I don't want alarms linked to motion. Yes, I know I can switch it on/off per zone. All outside cameras except one cover regions that are covered by my external beams. By glancing at the monitor, I can distinguish between hadedas or dogs triggering a beam or BG's.

Thanks for the tip on the guarantee.

User

Not to hijack the thread, but did you buy from CCTV direct or somewhere else?

I'm also looking at upgrading, because I'm tired of my crappy cameras, so looking for a place to buy from.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast