Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Rhodesia: The Great Betrayal

Some of that content I know is accurate. Some of it I question, like this claim "What one has to understand is that Rhodesia and South Africa had been strong allies". Well, no. The South Africans (and the Afrikaners in particular) never forgave the Rhodesians for in 1922 refusing the South African desire to have them to join the Union of South Africa; all of of South Africa, the United Kingdom and the British South Africa Company wanted such a Union to occur. A referendum was held and the Rhodesians decided by a vote of a bit over 59% that they would rather remain a British Crown Colony. The Afrikaners never forgot or forgave it and certainly, after that there was never a sense of owing the Rhodesians anything.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Good read and an interesting point WZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Some of that content I know is accurate. Some of it I question, like this claim "What one has to understand is that Rhodesia and South Africa had been strong allies". Well, no. The South Africans (and the Afrikaners in particular) never forgave the Rhodesians for in 1922 refusing the South African desire to have them to join the Union of South Africa; all of of South Africa, the United Kingdom and the British South Africa Company wanted such a Union to occur. A referendum was held and the Rhodesians decided by a vote of a bit over 59% that they would rather remain a British Crown Colony. The Afrikaners never forgot or forgave it and certainly, after that there was never a sense of owing the Rhodesians anything.
    I beg to differ. During the Rhodesian Bush War the RSA and Rhodesia were indeed very strong allies. Peter Stiff indicates this clearly in his very well researched book on the Recces. The RSA used the Rhodesian Bush War to train soldiers - also read General Magnus Malan's book. One complete "Rhodesian" SAS Squadron was South Africans.

The guys in the trenches may have had strong relationships. That says absolutely nothing about the political context. Which is exactly why South Africa sold Rhodesia down the river. You think a man like PW Botha would have given a toss about English speaking Rhodesians who had chosen Britain over becoming part of the Union of South Africa (and thus, effectively, the Afrikaaners)? As far as South Africa was concerned, Rhodesia was a convenience, to be dispensed with when required. Hell, the article itself speaks to the issue!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests.
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger (1980s)

Banned

Betrayal or not, if South Africa kept supporting Rhodesia, both countries would have toppled at the same time. SA managed to delay the inevitable. It was a strategically valid decision. Though I still don't like it one bit. But America doesn't ask. She tells. You don't really have much of a choice in the matter unless your military can repel them or fight them to stalemate. It leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth.

User

Very intersting read. Does not leave much to the imagination of what road we might be heading down. I think now only time will tell.

User

Thank you for the read, it has proven to be very insightful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2