Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: what shot size for wild cats/jackal?

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Would suggest you first test what ever u intend using at thought range + 10%. Lie a few two liter coke bottles side way filled with water (just easier to find holes) in / on the bushs so they knee height of ground the bottle is a nice test size for pellet count and ability check. Shoot at a few ranges and see what works at what range, you may find the suggestion of use a rifle or professional is the answer.
    Or end up with a wilder wiser predator.
    I teach Cody to shoot using this method with the 2 lt bottles and red water for effects.
    Great fun destroying the bottles!
    Even more so when supersonic bullets are used...

User

I once worked on a citrus farm in KZN. The locals neighboring the farm were loosing some goat kids to predation. In most cases only the insides were eaten. I was lucky to have seen all the suspected predictors, leopard, caracal, jackal and serval. One old timer suggested it was cheetah but I suspect a case of mistaken identification. In the end it was found to be an old male baboon.

Banned

very interesting post Dberger

User

Quote Originally Posted by Drakensberger View Post
    I once worked on a citrus farm in KZN. The locals neighboring the farm were loosing some goat kids to predation. In most cases only the insides were eaten. I was lucky to have seen all the suspected predictors, leopard, caracal, jackal and serval. One old timer suggested it was cheetah but I suspect a case of mistaken identification. In the end it was found to be an old male baboon.
    I heard this stories being tolled but not growing up on an farm could never verify it, so it is true.

User

In the case of the OP, caracal would be suspect number one, for me anyways. Using a shotgun could be tricky on a elusive cat. Seeing them in the area is one thing, try hunting them; different ball game altogether. Use the shot size that patterns best in your gun. Add some common sense, only you know the exact situation.

P.S. Please post some pics if at all possible. Might help somebody, (me), learn a bit more.

User

The perpetrators have finally been dealt with after ages it turned out to be a pair of very large White Tailed mongeese, they were going for the weakest lambs at the edges of the camp.

User

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    The perpetrators have finally been dealt with after ages it turned out to be a pair of very large White Tailed mongeese, they were going for the weakest lambs at the edges of the camp.
    That is very interesting. How did you get them?

User

I started doing regular rounds at night as well as putting a guard in with the sheep, the guard saw the mongeese on a couple of evenings chasing them off lambs which they had killed but I had no luck catching up with them, One evening about 3 weeks ago while driving up a road next to where we kraal our flock at night I picked the pair up with a spot light as they got into the camp and approached the sheep. Some ssg and then as they say the rest is history. Unfortunately for the guard he had fallen asleep in the shed next door and awoke to what he assumed was world war 3 which had a most interesting affect on his athletic abilities as he managed to perform some fairly impressive acrobatic maneuvers over fences etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I started doing regular rounds at night as well as putting a guard in with the sheep, the guard saw the mongeese on a couple of evenings chasing them off lambs which they had killed but I had no luck catching up with them, One evening about 3 weeks ago while driving up a road next to where we kraal our flock at night I picked the pair up with a spot light as they got into the camp and approached the sheep. Some ssg and then as they say the rest is history. Unfortunately for the guard he had fallen asleep in the shed next door and awoke to what he assumed was world war 3 which had a most interesting affect on his athletic abilities as he managed to perform some fairly impressive acrobatic maneuvers over fences etc.
    bwahahahahaha well done on getting them though

User

Very nice... Had friends with the same issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2