User

Default WW2 m1 carbine presented to a sa soldier

I need some info on a special rifle.I have in my possession a m1 30 carbine. this rifle used to belong to a friends grand father.

The first time I saw this rifle was when his grandfather showed it to us at the age of 12 or 13. unfortunately the major died not long after showing us this rifle. his only child, my friends mother, inherited this rifle. on the but (the right hand side) of this rifle is the following engraving done in typical military font: To Maj $$$$n from the U.S. ORD . SEC 5th Army March 45

also on the stock is the insignia of the US ammunition ordnance and the abbreviation W.R.A with the letters G.H.D directly below the WRA.

the major was a citizen of the union of south africa. at that time still a colony of the united kingdom. he was an officer in the 6th south african armoured division under the command of general WH Evered Poole. part of this formation was the british 8th army and the american 5th army. as is engraved on the rifle.

other engravings or stamps on the rifle are: the letters RA-P on the bottom of the rear hand grip. if this was a modern assault rifle i would say this letters are on the bottom of the pistol grip. on the right hand side of the rear sight the letters I.R.CO. and directly below it the number 7160060. the serial number of this rifle is 1167284.

also in my possession is a war diary of the major. he makes no mention why he received this rifle or the circumstances. however, he mentions on the 5th april 1945: "Sandy + two crews went up to Tac to take over two tanks in fwd posn from Yanks. Make(Mark?) Blake who gave me the carbine visiting here in afternoon" that is about all he says about the rifle. as it is with vets he never realy spoke about the war. nobody not even his daughter or grandsons know why he received the rifle from the americans. it seems that he was either a tank squadron commander or a forward observation officer. his comments in his diary is not clear about his duty. he makes a couple of remarks on the good job the american/south african coalition is doing on his flank. it seems that 1 Special Service Brigade (from south africa) and 1 US Armoured Division deployed simultaneously and was very effective together.

i have photo's of this rifle and the engravings on the stock. with this rifle there is a set of dies and primers also a green magazine pouch with the letters U.S. and in smaller print the letters R&R.CO 1943

my questions:
    1. is it possible to find out why the 5th army gave him this rifle?
    2. is it a US army custom to present there allies with an engraved rifle if they see fit?
    3. is the ammo for this rifle available for export to south africa?

kind regards

PS: i realize that the possibility exists that he got this rifle for the simple fact that he asked for one.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...7&d=1246095666
    Last edited by 300H&H; 31-03-2010 at 11:50.

User

An Awesome piece of history. Your Winchester was manufactured in the summer of 1943.
    "There is no second place winner in a gunfight" - B Jordan

Banned

Get hold of SAAACA (http://www.saaaca.co.za/) and ask them to put that whole enquiry in their Friday email newsletter. I am pretty sure there are M1 experts that will be able to assist you properly. Sounds like a nice firearm with a decent SA connection and some heritage value.

USP

User

What an awesome story. I hope you can find out more about the history of the rifle

.....no wait, I forgot. GFSA would rather turn it into scrap metal