User

Default Pristine rivers/streams around Middelburg Mpumalanga

Hi guys,

I have had this real strong urge since I started fly fishing 15 years ago, to fish a pristine stretch of a river or stream like you capetonians have. Sadly due to the state of our rivers and streams in my area (Middelburg), this urge or lets call it a dream has never materialized.

I long to fish a stretch of a river or stream, using dry flies (cause thats the dream).

So this thread has a dual purpose:

1. To find out of possible rivers and streams to fish in that is healthy.

2. To get contact details of the land owners and/or a doshng buddy to tag along with.

Now the species to target do not matter, what matters most is the soul cleansing scenery in which these species live. Be it yellows, browns or rainbows even bass as long as you can get your feet wet wading (read hunting) to get within casting range.

See it's all about the pursuit, it's the journey that counts. I no longer feel the need to catch xxxx amout of fish, but rather to enjoy the quality of nature with the fishing being a bonus.

Cheers
    George

User

Default Re: Pristine rivers/streams around Middelburg Mpumalanga

Hi George, I assume it is Middelburg Mpumalanga? Not many rivers around Middelburg Eastern Cape I believe...

User

It's a bit of a drive, but arguably some of the cleanest and purest waters to sight fish is Sterkfontein Dam.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    It's a bit of a drive, but arguably some of the cleanest and purest waters to sight fish is Sterkfontein Dam.
    Yes quite a ways from me, and it's not a river/stream

But you are right, it is one of the best Dam in our country.

User

As an aside...

Took an amazing kaalgat swim in the Umzimkulu river the other day, just downstream of Underberg.

I know the water is clean, because of the various observations I made.

A sure sign that the water is clean... A HUGE number of frogs (not toads) and crabs! If those are absent, then you know that the water quality is not what it should be.

Clean rivers in SA are now a rarity.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Budlust View Post
    Clean rivers in SA are now a rarity.
    Sad but so very true

User

Lunsklip river in Dullstroom is pure and clean, stunning fishing to be had!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Where would one fish there?
    My outlaws are from Harrismith, and I've only gone bass fishing with them to Sterkfontein, blooody useless fishing for Bass.
    I'd rather fish private dams in kzn

User

Z sterkfontain is yellow fish power house glory. You will need to spot the fish with a good pair of polarised glasses and deploy some STF/Saloo Scout tactics to get within casting distance to present flies for them.

One could use bass gear and some art lure grubs or those detestable in line spinners I suppose.

User

Quote Originally Posted by da_asassin View Post
    Where would one fish there?
    My outlaws are from Harrismith, and I've only gone bass fishing with them to Sterkfontein, blooody useless fishing for Bass.
    I'd rather fish private dams in kzn
    Need a boat and fish in summer, water temps above 16C. Search for the fish along the shoreline. They move around during different times of the year. Sometimes on the sand flats in the bays sometimes on the rocks. There is 96-105km shoreline to fish and explore :). Very important is to get a good weather app and work the shore on the lee way. Know when the wind will change. Know when big systems hit the Berg. Get off the water before the storm hit!! Two meter plus waves is a regular occurrence.

If you go now (March) the termites and flying ants should be hatching, excellent fishing or exercise in extreme frustration :)

Just do not fish to the fish spawning on the gravel beds. Lots of splashing fish going crazy with love!! Fish the areas 50-100m away from them, plenty of feeding fish.