Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Owl friendly rat poison?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I live close to the veld, had the same concern, that my dogs would chow one of the poisoned rats.
    Once poisoned they do not run around, you'll probably have to remove them from the ceiling once dead.
    They do not only feed at night, they have a good sense of smell.

Put the bait in the ceiling early in the morning, it gives the rats the chance to expire without exposing them to the owls, which in my opinion won't happen anyways.
    The better rat poisons work very slowly, and the rats have to feed on it for several days before they get slower, and eventually die. If it acted faster, the rats (being quite intelligent) would learn to avoid the bait. The slower, poisoned rats are easy prey for owls. Use with caution.

The traditional rodent poisons have Warfarin as active ingredient. That's the exact same stuff the doctor gave my dad as blood pressure medicine. The difference is in the dosage. I do not think a single poisoned rat would harm a grown owl, but a steady diet of Warfarin rat will surely be catastrophic.

A well placed .177" airgun pellet is quite deadly on rats and totally owl safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paz View Post
    I used Racumin it'a a paste based bait.
    http://www.icup.org.uk/reports%5CICUP545.pdf

Not great for dogs.

Why not use a mousetrap?

User

Why arent the owls eating the rats?

We are starting to have issues with rats in our complex.....MEEF says we need to be careful what we use......i was thinking we should get some owls.

I Phoned Dr. Gerhard Verdoorn once about the same problem. He also advised to use Racumin.

User

Try a 50/50 mix of flour and cement. Your rat/mouse will eat it, go in search of water and you can figure out the rest. IMHO the easiest, cheapest (provided you have cement handy) and most environmentally friendly way there is.

Banned

My mate in pest control said the new poisons need to be consumed in doses that are close to creatures body weight in 24 hrs for the toxin to work. The toxin used causes blood to thin till hemorrhaging occurs and victim bleeds to death mostly internally. he also said that rats and mice are the only naturally occurring creatures that can consume enough poisoned bait in said time frame to kill them. In short the new toxins are actually over doses of medication and need to be as a over dose.
    My friend and I no longer converse so hard to check up on info, but thats how I remember it explained.

Banned

Thanks Treeman, that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    Why not use a mousetrap?
    Because it takes only one at a time.

User

Just throw rattax in the ceiling and be done with it. Rats chew through EVERYTHING so when the lights go out tonight while you are watching tv don't be surprised. I would not waste any time in removing them.

If the owls wanted to catch the rats they would have by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Thanks Treeman, that makes sense.

Because it takes only one at a time.
    How many rats are there? Buy a few traps.

Banned

STILL THE BEST OF THE BEST - a rat trap in every corner and nook and in a week they all gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    How many rats are there? Buy a few traps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast