Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Collector themes.

Hi all

I was just sitting here and was thinking, I know that there are various different guns out there some collectible and some not. For example one might collect say only rifles chambered in .270 or maybe only .22 revolvers.

So my question is who here is a collector and of what themes. I collect mainly Norinco( I know crazy) but believe me when I say this that there are plenty Norincos out there, some good some not so good, but I've learnt a lot about them from collecting them. My other themes are Guns chambered in .45 , South African Manufactured Weapons and Weapons of WW2- this not so much cause the stuff out there is costly I've only got a few items in this theme.

Maybe there are some other members on GunSite who would like to share what they have as their themes and who knows maybe we can all benefite from each others knowledge.

Cheers and happy collecting.
    David.

User

Default Re: Collector themes.

Guns chambered in .45? Is that specific to one variation like .45 Colt or is it open to anything with a .45 in its name?

And what happens if you have a gun that crosses themes? A Delise carbine from WWII in .45ACP will fit two of your themes. Can you buy two or do you double motivate one?

User

Nothing prevents you from owning two or more similar guns as a collector. one of them might be more collectible / more original / other year of manufacture / different grips etc etc etc.
    Collecting "Norinco's" is a good start. You may want to limit your period though. From WW1 to the Korean war for instance.
    I suggest contacting a collectors organisation speak to them about your proposed theme for approval. They might have other options for you and / or multiple themes.

My main theme is "Histor and development of service firearms between 1880 and 2000". It's very wide, but was approved.

Expect to be asked a lot of questions about your proposed theme during the interview.

User

You can collect anything legal, provided it falls within your approved theme, which in turn needs to be motivated and focused.

Of course you must be a member of an accredited collectors association who would guide you through the process.

Cat A covers full auto machine guns and even canons - not so easy to get approval for these, but possible. Remember in these cases security borders on the paranoia.

A theme like "Any gun" would not work.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    A theme like "Any gun" would not work.
    Development of projectile weapons from 1250AD to present day?

User

Every collectors' association has different rules, but all are guided by NAACCSA (the confederation of collectors).

A Field of Interest defines what firearms are in the FoI, but it should also be easy to see which firearms are not in the FoI. Therefore you need boundary conditions. "Handguns manufactured in Spain between 1880 and 2000" is a perfectly valid theme (and happens to be one of mine). So are "Firearms designed by JMB (PBUH)". However, "Handguns used in IDPA" would be a difficult FoI to motivate, because if I shot a match next week with a Deagle or a Webley–Fosbery or a Dardick (although in all fairness I think This Has Been Done Before) your FoI changes.

So basically a Field of Interest is just that. A Field. Of Interest. What are you interested in? Guns? Yea, we all are. Doesn't make you a collector. An accumulator, sure, but the law doesn't care about firearm accumulators. If you can find a common thread to link a bunch of firearms together, go for it. Motivate it. Done.

(As an aside, I once contemplated "Guns used by Clint Eastwood". I still think it's an FoI that can fly).

User

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    a Webley–Fosbery .
    Not a Webley-Fosbery but I have seen a Webley in .455 used in IDPA.

User

Yea Brian Hoare shoots one of those. Seems to work pretty damn well too.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    "Guns used by Clint Eastwood". I still think it's an FoI that can fly).
    Wow, that'll be quite a list
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood

I want an Aircraft Browning M2. Clint used one in Kelly's Heros. Could I (for example) use the Clint FoI and built up from SAA revolvers and Sharps 1874's through Winchester 1873's and 1894's to M1 Garand and to M1 Thompson's, MP40's and then Browning M2's?

And then an Oerlikon 20mm?

Or is collecting viewed the same way as sports shooters think MSR's should be viewed.

I want an MSR, what sport must I shoot vs I am doing OK in 3GN with my LM5 but I think I would be better served by an AR-15 in 6.5Grendel for XXXX reasons, where can I get one?

User

Nah screw that, guns used by Schwarzenegger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast