Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default School me on broadheads, mechanicals vs fixed.

As i continue learning about archery, this is one of the topics that come to mind. Fixed vs mechanicals. On a compound bow setup around 55lb draw weight, what works well for all round hunting? I spoke to an Archers edge pro staffer and he swears by Rage mechanicals for all game up to eland.Is there one type of broadhead that works well for everything, or would the species and setup dictate the broadhead? What feedback and advice can you offer.

User

Default Re: School me on broadheads, mechanicals vs fixed.

Not an expert, but my understanding is that a fixed broadhead can have a different point of impact than your normal field points. Mechanicals typically hit the same as field points. That's the main attraction of mechanicals.

Me, I'm old school. So I have Thunderheads, and am happy to practice and adjust for them. But then again, I still shoot Nosler Partitions in the rifle, so take my advice knowing that...

User

I think try a few options on a butt and see which ones you and tour bow like the best. Bit like fitting ammo to rifle. With correct shot placement either will do the job.

I am more concerned about the pounds. At 55 pounds there isn't much more than a few small antelope you should be going for.

User

Generally fixed blades need you have your bow tuned correctly. Cam timing, correct arrow spine etc. A lot of guys (not all) shooting mechanical broad heads do so because they can't or don't want to tune their bows correctly. I am not a fan of mechanicals, never have been and even the Rage's that everyone raves about do not excite me. Fixed blades all the way especially at only 55lb draw weight. What do your arrows weigh?
    For a compound bow I found the 1" cut Slick Trick standards to be a very tough and effective broadhead. I've shot loads of different types and kept coming back to the Slick Trick. Out of a trad bow I only shoot 2 blade broadheads.

Posted below is a report from a buck I shot a few years ago, it was posted on the bowhunting forums back then but I firmly believe I would have lost this buck if I was using mechanicals. I don't think any mechanical would have stayed intact to eventually find its way into the vital area.

I shot a blesbuck ewe today. 21m slightly quartering away and initially I thought I didn't get very good penetration even though there was a lot of blood where the animal was hit. I don't know if I should be disappointed in the broadhead or not. I thought only mechanicals would do this but obviously not. My setup was a 70lb Elite GT500, 28.5" draw and 600gr CX arrows with a 125gr Slicktrick and 50gr brass insert - so more than fair FOC. The broadhead did make it out alive and even the blades will be able to be used again with a little bit of sharpening.

Pic 1: Exactly how I found the animal

Pic 2: Skin off. Broadhead skimmed between the outside of the ribs and the skin. It cut 4 ribs, 2 of them clean through.

Pic 3: More cut ribs. After cutting through some ribs the arrow finally found its way between 2 ribs on the entry side and broke a rib on the exit side.

Pic 4: Final arrow path

Pic 5: Every animal is a trophy animal

Pic 6: The heart shot

I found this very interesting and thought I'd share. Has anyone else seen something like this with a fixed blade head?

Ranger

User

I would not attempt an Eland @ 55#. Whats your drawlength? (Typing to slow - Ddeswart beat me to it)

I think it comes down to personal choice and intended target. I have used mechs and fixed and have had more success with mechs. But both have their pro's and cons in my opinion.

You will guys swearing by mechs and other guys with fixed for reason XYZ. Buy a few and shoot them out of your bow. See what works best and where you get the best accuracy.

User

in general....fixed broad heads are stronger and mechanicals have larger cut channels.
    bear in mind African animals are way tougher than your typical North American white tail.
    you can "broad head" tune so the field points and fixed have same POI.
    not sure if KZN wild life have changed it?? it's illegal to bow hunt with mechanical BH's in KZN.

Well said by Ranger/Bow hunter. I don't Bow hunt anymore but if I ever start again, I will return to the hunting fields with slick Trick broad head. I lost a large Fallow Deer stag in 2009. It was not entirely the mechanical BH I used fault, but if I had a slick trick up my sleeve I wouldn't have lost that animal. Make sure your arrows are properly papertuned and your arrows are all identical in every way.

User

Thanks for the detailed replies. No, I am not hunting eland anytime soon, I'm merely posting to learn more on the subject. Great pics Bowhunter. Appreciate the advice so far.

User

I have used the following fixed blades all in 125gr with easton axis arows at 30inch from 70pound mathews FX2
    Muzzy
    Thunderheads
    B52 (2blader)
    Slick Trick Standard
    Montecs

Have used loads of mechanicals on birds, and general bugger around shooting. Will not sommer hunt with them, prefer slick tricks.

My arrows weigh in at 500gr.

If you have nice and heavy arrows, with a good FOC, and well acquainted with your setup and shot placement, then theres no reason why you cannot shoot the biggest possible eland bull with 55 pound bow, but shot placement will need to be spot on. There was a article in bowhunter mag about a lady that shot a Big bull with 35 pound setup, from a pit blind in the kalahari.

User

When in Doubt, the std Slick trick has always done the trick

Mechanicals have always done the job for me with one exception. I shot an Ostrich with a mechanical once. It worked, but a fixed blade would have punched through the feathers better.

There seems to be a bit of concern regarding your 55Lb bow. Im more concerned with draw length and arrow weight.

With a bow, shot placement is everything, all other factors being the same. The only reason I shoot a relatively high LB bow is so that I can launch a heavy arrow at moderate speed. The heavier arrow is handy when you hit a rib etc.

Ive seen plenty game up to and including BW where the arrow has passed through when shot from a 60Lb bow. 27'' DL.
    For piece of mind, when shooting a 55LB bow, I would stick with a cut on contact fixed blade or one of the more modern mechanicals that open with relative ease.

I still dream of shooting an eland with my bow, so I cannot offer any advice based on experience. BUT, I have no doubt that it can be done with a correctly set up 55Lb bow and CORRECT SHOT PLACEMENT. I would however feel more confident with an extra 15Lb provided you can shoot it as well as the 55 pounder

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast