Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: School me on broadheads, mechanicals vs fixed.

The OP states he is learning about archery. From such a statement I would assume he's a biggener.

Can you shoot an Eland with a 55 # bow... definitely, especially with a longer draw length and heavier arrow.
    But since the ethics of hunting are to kill the animal as quickly and humanely as possible I would never encourage a beginner archer take a shot at the bigger antelope with such low pounds.

My personal opinion.

User

Correct, very new to archery so still got a long way to go , let alone hunt an eland. I see a trend as I browse these threads, like rifles, shot placement is paramount. Yeti, you refer to modern expandables, any specific models? To add another more realistic variable, for kudu/blue wildebeest, is there any valid reason some one would go mechanicals compared to fixed with a well tuned bow?

User

Ddeswardt, if Im to follow your logic, then as a beginner, with an ethical mind set, he should not be hunting at all.

Shot placement is everything, in fact Eland offer a far greater target area and are much much slower moving than say an Impala which is typically associated with first time hunters

If the OP is in fact in the very early learning stages, then yes, of course he should not be hunting (anything), he will have to learn to shoot 1st.
    But as the OP is asking about hunting "points" and not field points, I imagine his progress has elevated to the point that he is considering killing shit

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Correct, very new to archery so still got a long way to go , let alone hunt an eland. I see a trend as I browse these threads, like rifles, shot placement is paramount. Yeti, you refer to modern expandables, any specific models? To add another more realistic variable, for kudu/blue wildebeest, is there any valid reason some one would go mechanicals compared to fixed with a well tuned bow?
    Ive heard my mates speaking of modern Mech that dont require much energy to deploy, unlike the Nap Spitfires that I have used in the past with great success, which do sap some energy to open. As I pretty much stick to slick Tricks, I have not paid much attention to the makes and names, sorry (Rage rings a bell)

If the shot is placed correctly, then there is no time that a Mech will ever offer any advantage over a Fixed blade that I can think of.
    If a Broadhead were to fail, the unsupported blades of the Mech will fail before the Fixed Broadhead IMO

Ive had pass throughs with slick tricks that landed up in the "bricks" that looked as though one could use them again immediately.
    Ive had pass throughs with Spitfires where the blades looked like those of a blender after throwing ball bearings in the blender

User

Sorry to the OP for the hijack. I would have no issue shooting most animals with a 55lb modern compound bow as long as there's at least a 550-600gr arrow to be shot out of it. Shot placement is everything! Don't forget the trad guys shooting, in my experience, an average of 50lbs or even a little less and they're no speed demons. Pair that longbow up with an arrow of 13-14gr per pound of draw weight with a nice cut on contact 2 blade head and you're ready for almost anything! Keep shots as close as possible (20-25m for compound) and put that arrow where it counts.

User

Yes that's my logic...

Sorry for my misinformation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zs6hdv View Post
    Not an expert, but my understanding is that a fixed broadhead can have a different point of impact than your normal field points. Mechanicals typically hit the same as field points. That's the main attraction of mechanicals.

Me, I'm old school. So I have Thunderheads, and am happy to practice and adjust for them. But then again, I still shoot Nosler Partitions in the rifle, so take my advice knowing that...
    The above could have been written by me applying it to American deer hunting. I have seen mechanicals fail but with fixed broadheads, I have only seen failures by the hunter/archer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeswardt View Post
    Yes that's my logic...

Sorry for my misinformation.
    Boet, we all on the same page

User

I think mostly , all has been said already... Personally, I do not own or shoot a mechanical. It is just an additional point of failure that you introduce into the already very complex series of things that should fall in place, for you to have a successful clean kill.

I shoot fixed blades, personal favourite is the G5 montec in 100gr. and 125gr Muzzy if I need heavier. I also have some Schmeiser 2 blade bh. my total arrow weight is currently around 440gr, shot from my Hoyt at about 64# and 28.5" DL I have taken down kudu and bwb with very short death runs. shot placement is always critical, does not matter if you use fixed blade or mech's. fixed blade, cut on contact BH's seem to do much better at angled shots, where mechs tend to ricochet off, or not deploy fully.

Lastly, only fixed blades are used for super heavy and dangerous game... so, if it is good enough to kill a buffalo or giraffe, etc...

User

Just one thing that has been lightly touched in this thread.

Beginner bow hunters should not shoot impala or warthogs.

Rather start with something slow like a bwb or kudu cow etc

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast