Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Impala bullet test

Hi all

Treeman asked me to post my results after testing Impala bullets, here goes.

Now believe it or not, I am a bit of a techno hunter. Yes I hunt the traditional way but I study just about the science of everything around hunting because I like to know what is going on with things.
    Impala bullets caught my attention because they advertise a revolutionary “shockwave inducing” cutting edge in their bullet design. Now considering there is about 7 billion people on earth the prospect of someone inventing a radical new concept that NOBODY else on earth ever came across does raise some questions. Physics these days are quite extensively researched, and if bullets could do this some army on this planet would use it.

Ok, I knew the bullet was non expanding so using a small caliber did not make any sense. Luckily I have some medium caliber that starts with 338 and ends with magnum, more than enough oemf to give the test the best chance possible. I used two different bullets, a 165gr bullet called the LWHV, meaning low weight high velocity, and the 180gr bosvelder, the same design without the sharp nose instead a large meplat.

Now the 165gr I loaded to 3200ft/s, and the 180gr I loaded to 3000ft/s, that is enough power to give the test the best possible chance.

Testing on the range showed much promise, the bullets showed good uniformity, they grouped very nice and reloading for consistency was easy to achieve. I believe the lathe turned process in bullets is one of the best processes to get consistent bullet specs.

Now killing(read terminal performance) design, they are advertised to have a sharp shockwave inducing cutting edge design. What that means no physics professor on this planet knows, probably cause it doesn’t exist. The cutting edge yes, that works beautifully, read perfectly. It starts with shooting perfect holes in paper and ends up with equally perfect wounds in game.

Testing, OK I was limited to animals because shooting stuff for fun isn’t that cheap. Tests included springbok, warthog, ribbok and kudu. Now remember I was looking for the shockwave damage, but also remember before and after this test I had a fair idea of what would happen, since I am not easily fooled and not as stupid as I look. Almost all of the reports I read about these bullets resulted in vitals turned to mush, liquefied and all such great nonsense. I say great nonsense because that is all it is. We are passed the age of magic so expecting a non expanding bullet to liquefy the internal organs of animal are not only far fetched, but ridiculous.

So shooting was done at the heart lung area, genius me even shot one animal in the head because that is what I do without thinking, but forget about that. The area is called the vital triangle, in which you target the top of the heart and the middle of the lungs. Shots were taken and they were taken well, so what happened?

Well firstly the response of the animals(and shooter) when shot. On the first springbok my brother went “what the funk”, but I was the spotter so I told him the shot was good. You see he said this because he have shot tens of thousands of animals and waited for the sound of the bullet connecting, there was none. The animal ran like normal until it ran out of steam, circled once on dropped dead. Ribbok on the other hand does not run far, but they kick for a long time, normal for the species they don’t give up the ghost that easily. All the other other animals showed the same result, doesn’t seem wounded but wound up dead.

So then, inspecting the mythical liquefied organs.
    Now before we do that first understand that precious few hunters slaughter, they leave it for the help, and those that does it themselves does not sort through the organs, it drops on the ground, those in the knowing will understand. Now the first time you cut open such animal the first thing you see is LOTS of clumps of stuff falling out, now noobs I am not talking about opening the stomach, that happens in the veld. I am talking about when the animal is hanging and you cut open the chest cavity. Now this image immediately reminded of what the people were talking about, so what up.

Well I’ll tell you what up , the bullet itself does cut beautifully, so where a normal bullet comes apart and does a lot of damage in lots of areas, this bullet cuts a clean path. So normally where the blood is spread over lots of area with these bullets the animal bleeds in one specific wound channel, to the degree where the blood forms groups of coagulated parts that simulates pieces of organs. But, remove the internal organs, wash them thoroughly under warm water and what do you see......drum roll.....perfectly intact organs with perfect holes through them.

So now what, does these bullet work, hell yes, much better than I expended, and to the degree which I insulted myself. You see I insulted myself because I should know any animal with a big hole through the vitals will die, end of story. Actually to be fair since the bullets cuts so cleanly, where a normal bullet might leave room for the wound to seal itself, these cavities stay open, resulting in the reports where people see lots of blood. This I personally would call defining characteristic of these bullets.

Problems, if you are not hitting the heart but only one lung, that lung will collapse totally but it will result in the reports we’ve been seeing, animals running longer than usual. You see a normal bullet at that same angle would have destroyed more tissue, these bullet rely on the bleeding in the primary wound channel, not enough bleeding no fast death. Brass is harder than copper, I don’t care who says what it will result in faster barrel wear. In a hunting rifle alone it doesn’t matter however, you will still shoot a lot of animals.

Now, will I use it again, probably.
    Why, it’s cheap, it’s available, it’s a proud SA product.
    I just wish they will drop the shockwave theory and sell the bullet like I see it, a good cutting bullet. If your shot placement is good this bullet will do the trick, but I suspect that is true for all bullets.

Now a side not for all those who doesn’t believe in the energy of bullet impact. These bullets impacts and cuts so cleanly you cannot even hear it, but guess what, at the magnum velocities you still get bloodshot, I would not have called it but I saw it for myself. Bloodshot in animals are a result of impact velocity, regardless of bullet construction, regardless of mono vs cup and core, regardless of whatever. If you don’t want it shoot it with slow and heavy, the old SA recipe.

See this report for what it is, my version, if you have the time and resources to do a better test then do it. But please, don’t do the hearsay thing, and don’t be afraid to get your hands bloody.
    And sorry it’s late I don’t have the time to check all spelling and grammar just read it for what it is, I typed it fast because I have more work to do. Just understand this was a PHYSICAL test not hearsay, so appreciate.

User

Default Re: Impala bullet test

Thanks for the writeup. Will try them in my 308 and 375 some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Nice write up.. I agree with everything youve written, having used Impala bullets a few times in 7mm, .30, 9mm, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, , 223

With reference to the following statement that was a hot topic here on GS a few years ago, and this statement made by someone who was formerly attached to the SAPS Forensic Science Lab
    "I just wish they will drop the shockwave theory and sell the bullet like I see it, a good cutting bullet. If your shot placement is good this bullet will do the trick, but I suspect that is true for all bullets."

IMHO there are a few problems with this bullet (Rifle Calibers mostly eg 223, 7mm, .30)

• Animals Run further (mostly) before going down on a less than perfect shot.
    • Animals Throws much Less Blood even if hit well, therefore a lot more difficult to track. This is especiially so at the place of impact.
    • Where the vitals are missed, there is less damage than normal and less bleeding out, again more difficult to track
    • I also think you've highlighted the fact that the internal organ damage is less, which could refer to why a lot more distance can be covered

If youre gona miss the vitals , you don't want to be shooting with this bullet

On the other hand I just love the 44 Mag /45 ACP/ 9mm Bullet because of its awesome penetrating power.

Its also my favourite secondary ammo in 9mm P (95gr) for awesome overpenetration..

Most awesome penetration results was achieved in loading them very hot using in a POF MP5.

Lets hear from the other guys..

Ive been to a few farms where this bullet is banned, but a similar bullet (well not really) ,eg GSC Custom is not..

User

Thanks for the write up. If I may ask, apart from cost, is there any other reason you would choose Impala over a decent expanding mono or bonded bullet in a 308?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Thanks for the write up. If I may ask, apart from cost, is there any other reason you would choose Impala over a decent expanding mono or bonded bullet in a 308?
    No

But that in itself is a surprisingly big factor with these bullets, cost.
    You see they are less than half the price of most expanding mono's, and bondeds. Hell they cost about the same as most range bullets.
    This for the average biltong hunter makes it very attractive, because you can practice with one bullet in your rifle and hunt with that rifle as is without fiddling with the scope, while getting very accustomed to your loads trajectory. With the cost saving on one batch of 50 bullets you can almost pay for a whole springbok, and that is pretty substantial.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Thanks for the write up Messor. I use Impalas in my 375, the are wonderfully accurate and with the 270gr I am confident they'll punch through hard bone on game upto and including Kudu. They fact that they punch a caliber sized hole makes me not use them in my 308 for hunting. Here I feel a standard expanding bullet would be best and IMP the Impalas do best when shot out of medium to late bore rifles.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Thanks for the write up. As in all non expanding bullets, bore diameter is much more important than with expanding bullets. In tests on game with a .300 win mag, and Impala bullets, several bullets tumbled, significantly increasing damage to organs resulting in quicker kills. Tests with the 6.5mm Impala bullets were very disappointing, I won't use Impala bullets in any calibre smaller than .308, for hunting, and even .308 is marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Thanks for the write up. As in all non expanding bullets, bore diameter is much more important than with expanding bullets. In tests on game with a .300 win mag, and Impala bullets, several bullets tumbled, significantly increasing damage to organs resulting in quicker kills. Tests with the 6.5mm Impala bullets were very disappointing, I won't use Impala bullets in any calibre smaller than .308, for hunting, and even .308 is marginal.
    Thank you for the write up Messor. I have to agree with TStone that the 6.5 were quite disappointing.

My one friend also shoots a 338 Win Mag and before he reloaded he could only get impala loaded rounds. He was very happy with his results on BWB.

They make very nice holes in paper. Almost like you were using a paper punch

Banned

Long long time ago I wrote and commented on the almost liver like coagulated blood I found in animals shot with Impala .458. I asked why this was and we got no real answers back then. Messor I hounded you for a answer to your post cause i suspected you knew some thing. Yes never washed and inspected, never thought of it. As I read your post I was mentally head butting the wall, ye s yes and yes, I do not wish to be patronizing, but yea as I read I thought "yea thats possible, ah yes thats what I saw - why did I not realize". I think this is about your best post to date in regard to the ever on going fact finding .
    Yes the stuff I poured out was coagulated blood, your findings ring true, truer than I actually like to admit.
    Myself, I agree that they work much better in the bigger calibers and as I posted they dont seem to cause that fall over affect if central nervous system is missed. As per my post that led to this post, I have used them extensively in one caliber and found them very polarized in results.
    In my circle we know know from a few examples that real bad shots have very good recovery rates, shots that cup and core kinda bullets would have resulted in death from secondary cause much later.
    I think now - more than ever that the shock wave theory is and never was more than marketing.
    If it existed I think there would be many Gel test showing the ballistic gel exploding dramatically.
    Thanks Oom messor enjoyed the read.

User

Nice write-up Messor.

I've cooked up a load for these in my 404 Jeffery with a 230gr point. I have not used it extensively but used it on a hunt in Pongola a few years back. Took a large-bodied BWB bull,ran about 60m or so in thick stuff, very little blood spoor. The farm's Jack Russell didn't care about such technicalities though. Shot an impala ewe as well, she just flopped over.

Both wounds were, unsurprisingly, calibre size in and out. Both kills were about as one would expect from a decent hunting bullet in opinion. The lack of blood spoor means u won't play around with these in a smaller calibre.

The 230gr makes for a very pleasant shooting round from the 404 Jeffery. Kind of defeats the purpose though, used 400gr Claw bullets for the past few years to experience the proper way a 404 should feel. That and I had to zero with the heavier bullet for a demonstration a friend asked me to do. The 400gr Claw and 230gr shoots to a very different point of impact. It isn't a lot of fun to shoot from a bench with the 404 when you zero.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast