Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Impala bullet test

Quote Originally Posted by Tetelestai View Post

I've cooked up a load for these in my 404 Jeffery with a 230gr point.

The 230gr makes for a very pleasant shooting round from the 404 Jeffery. Kind of defeats the purpose though
    Ja but that is part of the debate isn't it.
    What won't that load kill reliably?
    More than a 1cm tunnel through an animal, in any of the larger medium bores and the big bores it is a cheap alternative if you cannot find your favorite bullet on the shelves.

Personally I would have no trouble using my 180gr load at 3000ft/s on an eland, I would like a 225gr TTSX better but still Impala bullets at least give us another option.
    I like options, this is one option, like you can teach youngsters in your 404 with a lighter load. Or some older hunter who always wanted to hunt something with the old 404 but have shoulder problems, this load opens up such opportunities.

That is why I didn't knock the bullets in my write up, just the sales pitch.

User

I find them to group very tightly in my .303. Not too fussy about load either. Could this be because they are "long" for calibre?

User

Quote Originally Posted by MrK View Post
    I find them to group very tightly in my .303. Not too fussy about load either. Could this be because they are "long" for calibre?
    Which weight?

User

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Which weight?
    I have loaded up some of the 130gr and 150gr and used the loads as given on the Impala website just to test. I got very close to the muzzle velocity they predict. Slightly slower as my rifle has a fairly large chamber and most loads give slower than expected mv in it. Groupings were right up there with some of the best I have gotten from other developed 150 gr loads.

User

I use Impala exclusively in my 50BMG. Firstly, they're a crapload cheaper than any alternative and secondly i get really nice results. Have shot clean through a 10mm steel plate forming a perfect punched out circle.

I also load them in my .338 Lapua and have hunted kudu with them without any problem and minimal meat damage.

Not a huge fan on the .308 though as i find them difficult to load without a boat-tail and with the long sharp tip in my press.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    I use Impala exclusively in my 50BMG. Firstly, they're a crapload cheaper than any alternative and secondly i get really nice results. Have shot clean through a 10mm steel plate forming a perfect punched out circle.I also load them in my .338 Lapua and have hunted kudu with them without any problem and minimal meat damage.Not a huge fan on the .308 though as i find them difficult to load without a boat-tail and with the long sharp tip in my press.
    What ranges do you shoot steel with the impalas?

User

I don't go very far with my .50 - it's not very range friendly and it gets a bit annoying having a crowd standing around making stupid comments. The furthest i've shot it is 300m.

Have still got the dream in the back of my mind to start a South African 50BMG club though.

Surely you can take it to someone's farm to stretch its legs a bit?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Surely you can take it to someone's farm to stretch its legs a bit?
    I just realised that I posted that while I've never shot at anything past 300m :-)
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

Thats why I am so facinated with these guys that shoot constantly at like 800m. I have tried a few shots at like double + my range finders 350/400m ability and when going to look at how close to the ant hill I got I realized that measurements were in meters x 10 I would not know where to even start correcting with my x 9 power scope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I just realised that I posted that while I've never shot at anything past 300m :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast