Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gunsmith required who understands a Atis 12g semi -auto functioning

Hi All

I recently refurbished my late father's immaculate ATIS 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun and since I recieved it back from the gunsmith it has had endless cycling issues.

I have subsequently also obtained the documents detailing the adjustment and setting of the friction ring and the dynamics thereof spesifically related to ammunition required to cycle the action but it still has issues and does not function as it did or should.

I am not going back to the guy that refurbished it as it seems he is clueless with the operation of this spesific shotgun.

The gun wil shoot and cycle one round at a time but the moment more rounds are loaded it jams the round on ejection and feeding of the next round whereby the bolt remains halfway open and crunches either the ejecting or new round being fed into the action.

It seems like a timing issue to me

I am frustrated that this beautifull gun doesn not function as it was designed to do and as it did before.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to someone who knows this gun well and is able and willing to make it sweet again.

Your assistence will be highly appreciated

Thanks
    Ricochet

User

Default Re: Gunsmith required who understands a Atis 12g semi -auto functioning

Don't know the ATIS specifically, but my semi does not reliably cycle 24gram rounds. It also tends to stovepipe and misfeeds. 28gram and up cycles perfectly.
    Your problem might be related to ammo. Unless you are shooting ammo which you know functioned perfectly before.

User

Try 32gr ammo, in my limited experience with semi's, you need power to overcome the inertia.

Sent from my C2305 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Don't know the ATIS specifically, but my semi does not reliably cycle 24gram rounds. It also tends to stovepipe and misfeeds. 28gram and up cycles perfectly.
    Your problem might be related to ammo. Unless you are shooting ammo which you know functioned perfectly before.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    Try 32gr ammo, in my limited experience with semi's, you need power to overcome the inertia.

I have tried 36 gr as well as aaa,ssg and lg and it certainly is not the ammo

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I have tried 36 gr as well as aaa,ssg and lg and it certainly is not the ammo
    Then check that the workimg parts is not bent. Had that on a A300 and when its was fixed, it tan smooth again.

Hi Ricochet.
    I don't know where you are, but I can recommend Akmal Hussain from Dave Sheer Guns, Louise Botha Avenue, Johannesburg. 011 440 0345.
    He 'sorted out' the loading difficulties with my Girsan semi-auto 12 gauge.
    Regards,
    Keith.

User

Have you tried lubing the friction ring and mag tube?
    Also reverse the friction ring and try it again.

Are you using the "push-pull" shooting technique? Because the Atis uses an inertia reloading system, this shooting style doesn't work at all with it - you need to seat the shottie firmly into your shoulder.

[QUOTE=KevinF;1033673]Are you using the "push-pull" shooting technique? Because the Atis uses an inertia reloading system, this shooting style doesn't work at all with it - you need to seat the shottie firmly into your shoulder.[/
    I have had this shotgun fo 20 years and have never had a problem before so to answer the questions,I have done evrything you have said correctly hence my frustrations now.

User

The Atis is a licenced Browning A5 copy. Yes it is a long reoil action. My Atis and Browning only cycle with 35g ammo. Do not lube the magazine tube or friction ring at all, it must be bone dry.

My problem with the Atis started when I fitted a Poly-choke. With the choke set at Modified or tighter it would not cycle anymore.

But then my Breda with the same A5 system came with screw-in chokes and it cycles with 24g ammo as well. I never tried to compared the recoil springs.

Erhard Benedell of Thor engineering had more Atis rifles and could change spring etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast