Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Local BP is back!

If you read the article, distribution points are still being negotiated. Only the 1st batch is available from City Guns.

We'll have to wait and see the second batch.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The guy who is making it. Use to be into model rocketry.
    The powder isnt really ffg or fffg. Is more a mix of fine powder and pieces.
    Seen guys testing it.
    A person will have to see consistency in it.
    I have heard from him that he is using a hard wood as part of the mix.
    While in theory you need a softer wood as like willow to increase burn rate and reduce residue.

Banned

It is actually cheaper than R400 when you compare the efficiency to Wano. Smaller amounts can be used to achieve the same end result.
    I didn't think that anything would beat out Swiss in power or cleaner burning. However, I'd like to personally see the results before drinking the Kool Aid.

User

It will be available at dealers that previously stocked BP for sale. It will come to a dealer near you.

BPSU tests has shown that this powder is very fast. You need from 50 - 55% of your normal Swiss or Wano load to duplicate the same velocities. Initial tests show it is very clean burning; with a very low SD.

Given this, the cost of the new powder is significantly lower than either Swiss or Wano; and approaching Sannadex before it went off the market.

Guess there are a lot of people out there that now rue the day they sold their BP guns!

Great news!

The reason why you need less powder is that they are using 20% Sulpher content. Which reduces the ignition temperature of the powder. Making it burn faster.
    My main concern about the powder is still that its shape is inconsistent. Although you dont weigh BP.
    If the shape of the powder varies. If you measure by volume. It wont be as consistent as powder which have same shape.

The first batch that came to CPT. Was driven down by the owner of the company. So there was no transport added.
    But next shipments will need to be transported. Apparently at around R22000-00 per trip. As a normal courier cant ship explosive powder.

Most dealers only have 5Kg storing permits. The once who use to stock.
    I believe City has 20kg.

If lets say 20kg is shipped down next time. The transport will be Just over R1000 a Kg.
    So R400 for 500grams wont stay.

If they get 4 other dealers. And can get 40kg shipped at same rate. It will still add R500 per Kg.

User

Great news!!! I unfortunately sold my BP rifle when powder started getting ridiculously expensive.

User

Still have two left. Unlikely to sell. Even is BP does not exist anymore.
    .75cal Brown Bess (replica)
    Original Victoria Enfield musket dated 1850.

User

If this powder means the difference between staring at or shooting your gun, I say: bring it on! If CT is then the only place (I doubt it) in the Western Cape that stocks the stuff, I'm ready to drive the 800 k round trip.

User

A cost per shot comparison for my BP shotguns.

My current loads with Swiss is 70gr of BP by weight. At R3000 per kg that comes to R13.60 per shot for powder alone and I get 220 shots per kg.
    If I only have to load 45gr of the new powder that will give me 342 shots from a kg and at R800 per kg it will cost me R2.33 per shot.

That is a serious bargain. It brings my shot total cost back down to a similar amount to firing a modern shot shell. I guess my smoke poles will be coming out of the safe a lot more in the near future.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

This is great news guess i have to get that black powder permit now that i have been putting aside

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast