Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Had a green licence, white licence expired

The question is often asked "I had a green licence, I was subsequently issued with a white licence and the white licence has now expired. What is my legal position?"
    Please see the opinion at this link which sets out to answer your question:

https://natshoot.s3.amazonaws.com/up...20Licenses.pdf
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Default Re: Had a green licence, white licence expired

So, I am no legal eagle, but this states that if you have not handed in your green license, you do not have to renew the white one??

Its got nothing to do with handing in anything.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Hi

I am Afrikaans so sorry for my spelling/grammar mistakes. I have the same issue. My white license and competency card has expired and I went to the SAPS last week and they said I cannot renew my license anymore - I must hand it in. I have phoned gun shops ect. and now one can clearly say what to do because of a court case regarding this issue. Am I correct, after reading the article, (I still have my green license) - that I am still a valid firearm license holder although this white card has expired?

What about my white competency card that has expired? Must I just apply for renewal of that?

Thanks in advance for the info.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WillemSm View Post
    Hi

I am Afrikaans so sorry for my spelling/grammar mistakes. I have the same issue. My white license and competency card has expired and I went to the SAPS last week and they said I cannot renew my license anymore - I must hand it in. I have phoned gun shops ect. and now one can clearly say what to do because of a court case regarding this issue. Am I correct, after reading the article, (I still have my green license) - that I am still a valid firearm license holder although this white card has expired?

What about my white competency card that has expired? Must I just apply for renewal of that?

Thanks in advance for the info.
    Your green license is still valid and you must NOT hand in your firearm. Frankly, this is precisely what the SAPS (more the state) wants. You're still licensed, klaar.

Willem, the advice in post # 5 is what is thought to be correct – it is the advice that I am also applying as I am in much the same position as you, at least in relation to my section 13 firearm. I suggest you simply keep your firearm and your green licence for the time being until events develop further and we have a better understanding of what the position is. It would be very hard – if not utterly impossible – for a court to convict you if you rely on the advice of senior counsel as reflected in the link in the first post above. This is one of the advantages of the advice of senior counsel, viz. that it can be used as a shield in prosecution because you can show that you were not intentionally breaking the law and were in good faith of the belief that you were in compliance with the law. I hope this helps.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Jippeeee, Fantasties...

Thanks WZ for the info. Much appreciated.

User

I have tried the search function on the forum but only found one answer by Paul from 2011 and I dont know if its still relevant but what about a licence that is still in a blue ID book? Is it legal? Is there a legal opinion where I can confirm if it is legal or not?

Did you take the time to thoroughly read and try to understand the opinion I linked?

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Did you take the time to thoroughly read and try to understand the opinion I linked?
    To be honest no I did not apologies.

Edit: I have gone through the document now and saw that it is also still legal thank you very much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast