Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Had a green licence, white licence expired

I am so dissapointed with myself that I sold my CP1. Even though it is said its a crappy pistol, I had a green license for it! And it was for a fact much more reliable than my Taurus.

I have also gone through the document and there is various interpretations to it. I have even shown it to one advocate in high court CT and he agree you can interpret it differently. Because it states if you applied for the the white licence you fall under the 2000 law. If you did not then you have ignored the latest law (2000) which is also unlawful and this is the problem with some police and DFO.

Consider the following scenario: You passed matric 30 years ago with 6 subjects, went on to Varsity and got a degree. Now 30 years later, they revise the system and now require 8 subjects to pass matrixcand get into Varsity. Is your previous matric qualification and certificate no longer valid ? Do you have to hand back your degree as technically you can not enrol now without an 8 subject matric exemption ???????

The answer as far as I'm concerned is no, because at that point, you met all the requirements and received your matric and subsequent degree, fair and square based on the requirements of the day. The powers that be are fully entitled to change the standards required to pass matric BUT only from that point on, they cannot retroactively go back and declare something that was legally approved and granted, illegal simply because it suits someones agenda. Consider the chaos this would allow to follow. 1 of the cornerstones of our (most) legal systems is the concept of precedent. Should any court in SA find a previously issued license and associated firearm illegal simply because someone changed the law, a precedent would be set that would render the rule of law irrelevant and subject to change at will with disastrous consequences.

There is a very good reason why the SAPS have not further contested in court the original SA Hunters judgement that said all green licenses are still valid.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    If they have the green license card, the firearm is licensed even if the white license is expired. This is pending a court decision due in September.
    Just putting it here.

Meteor, that is what the opinion that I posted effectively concludes. But it's not necessarily where it's all going to end up. For now we just don't really know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

And what is the situation if you have lost your green card and your white card has expired?

The card itself is not the license but only evidence of the license.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    The card itself is not the license but only evidence of the license.
    WZ I know that however what happens now when you need the proof eg buying ammo or roadblock? No green card and white card expired.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by kurly View Post
    WZ I know that however what happens now when you need the proof eg buying ammo or roadblock? No green card and white card expired.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    You can apply for a reprint of the green license.
    Have a look at this recent thread for more info.
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...actical-advice

My DFO had a reprint on her desk 2 months ago.

User

What is the latest on this?
    I have just read the other thread "Constitutional court about to hand down Judgement", all 32 pages.
    I am still confused??
    Have green license, White license expired.
    Can I carry or must I keep in the safe pending further instructions??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast