Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    When a "GO away " bird starts making alarm, stop, look down to the floor, it will fly away...I tried it and it worked..
    I'm so trying this! Unfortunately my first hunt (and thus probably my only hunt) will probably only be in August, so need to remember this.

Default Re: Your stalking methods

This is impressive to read that real hunting and stalking still takes place and not the "approach on the back of a vehicle and take the shot" tactics.

Reading constantly in the news about guys getting killed while on the back of a vehicle while taking a shot during hunting excursions gives the impression of true hunting and stalking does not exist anymore.

My experience of various types of firearms are limited to range shooting thus have no other value to add to this thread.

User

Patience, walk little and look lots. Think through the conditions, wind, sun, terrain and adjust your tactics to suit. A gentle constant wind will give away your scent but can be used to cover the sound of your approach from a different angle. Decide on the shots that you are comfortable taking (rests, positions, distance) and plan to get yourself into a situation where you are set up for one of these. Plan how you intend to shoot so that you don't end up in an unshootable or uncomfortable position after an hours crawling. Try to plan to set up your shots, where will the animal fall, will you have an opportunity for a follow up shot (yes we all screw up once in a while, no matter what we say around the braai).

More to the point of the OP. In sand and with low bushes I crawl flat using knees and elbows, rifle in both hands (barrel out of sand!!), head down, bag is usually dropped at start of crawl. If spaces are to narrow then forend says in left hand and butt is dragged under chest. Remember your end game, how are you going to get into position to take your comfortable shot at the end of this? Raised onto your elbows, hat resting on a graspol, using your bag as a rest (remember you dropped at the start of your crawl?) or using your binos.

Each day is different, each stalk is different and each quarry is as different and as unpredictable in their responses as we are. That is what makes hunting such a challenging and engaging pursuit.

PS make sure that you are comfortable shooting out of the likely positions and at what range you can reliably carry out the shot BEFORE you go into the field, the end of the stalk is not the place to practice your shooting.

User

Can we add a bit of carry condition talk to the stalk topic? How do you carry, when do you go one up and when do you disengage safety?

I walk empty chamber until a stalk starts, then one up with safety on, extremely aware of muzzle direction. I did however lose a perfect shot on an Impala due to my safety making a "click" sound when disengaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by karoo.vellies View Post
    Can we add a bit of carry condition talk to the stalk topic? How do you carry, when do you go one up and when do you disengage safety?

I walk empty chamber until a stalk starts, then one up with safety on, extremely aware of muzzle direction. I did however lose a perfect shot on an Impala due to my safety making a "click" sound when disengaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent addition. If on my own in the veld, round in the chamber, bolt open about 15 degrees, gently rotate bolt when in position for the shot. If hunting with a partner I will chamber the round only once starting the stalk leaving bolt open about 15 degrees and then gently rotate closed once in position for the shot. Voorsit I like to do the same for consistency but will close bolt as soon as I see or hear animals approaching. I do not trust the safety and unload all rounds and make safe before leaving the veld or climbing a fence (where applicable).

User

See this thread from 2011 where we discussed rifle carry conditions:

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...ht=carry+rifle

Interesting topic.

I do still, and always have hated shoes. I never wear them unless I absolutely have to. Going to the shops, hiking in the berg in summer or in winter with snow, whatever, I am always bare foot.

When I first had an opportunity to hunt as a teenager, I had no shoes with me, so I went barefoot.

Seeing as hunting is a pastime and something I do for pleasure, I have never worn shoes whilst hunting. I never thought anything of it until one day I hunted with someone else (I had always hunted alone) and they remarked at my bare feet. I noticed after a while how much noise my friend was making as he walked and at the time I just thought that he was a bit careless.

Anyway, a few hunts later with partners, made me realise that all of them were noisy walkers due to their shpes. When you wear shoes you do not have to be as careful as someone who is bare foot as your shoes protect your feet. When you are bare foot you take more care where and how you walk because you have to.

User

This year I am hunting on two farms. The first farm is only 400 hectares so very small and I know it well as it has been in my family since 1987. Because of this I also know which areas are likely to contain which species. I will be going for 6 days and hunting 2 or three species.

The vegetation is extremely dense in certain parts which happen to have a higher concentration of the type of Impala I am looking for i.e rams.

The plan then is to ambush my prey in likely areas by sitting in wait on game trails leading to and from watering holes(note: not at watering holes). The hope is to take any shot from a comfortable position without the animal even being aware of my presence. To help identify the right areas I will be putting up a trail cam in different spots to determine which area is more likely to be the current home of the animal I am searching for.

The second animal on the list is a Zebra. These guys prefer the more open parts and should be easier to spot on a stalk. Here I will employ the walk three steps, stop, listen and look approach. It works, really well and I shot my first Kudu at 15M doing this.

The second farm is about twice the size but also has far less dense vegetation, here again the slow stalk method has yielded good results with me walking up to a grazing herd of BWB last year, actually shooting one and then having to wait for the herd to move off as they didn't even run at the shot, merely being puzzled by the sudden fall of their fellow herd member.

Shoes do make a difference and the faster you walk the more noise they make. Barefoot is the way to go but very difficult for people like me who spend their days in an urban and/or office environment with the resultant softness of the soles. To counteract noise created by shoes you should look for crepe soles or you can even glue some sheepskin to the soles. I also found that completely flat soles tend to make less noise and of course it helps not to step on every single twig and branch you come across.

Some of the mistakes I have seen new hunters make. They look at the bush instead of through it. They look at the ground instead of their surroundings, they don't look high enough i.e. they miss the movement of an ear or even head of an animal(animals move their heads a lot) they walk way too fast and they tend to forget about how important wind direction is.

User

Walking barefoot makes you walk slower, that is about it.
    Extremely stupid for when an animal is wounded and you have to relocate to a different position fast.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Walking barefoot makes you walk slower, that is about it.
    Extremely stupid for when an animal is wounded and you have to relocate to a different position fast.
    I guess nkosi doesn't argue about that fact, but rather that, due to the more efficient method of stalking, he will probably come closer to his quarry, leading to a more secure shot in which little doubt will be left as to whether the shot can be taken comfortably, probably meaning the animal will be downed immediately. Its also his preference.

Only reason I'm sceptical of this approach, especially in the bushveld, are the huge camelthorns that have gotten stuck in my hunting boots. Think I might try and employ this method of stalking this year, but walk in boots and take them off when quarry is spotted to try and come as close as possible. Probably also feels mote authentic if you think about it? In touch with nature and all those other romantic things?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast