Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Your stalking methods

So the barefoot thing is not meant for walking all the way. When you spot your target, kick out the sandals. And stalk closer/get into shoot position. I've seen it once along with @g-force then used it 3 times after that.
    Obviously it will only work if the veld will support it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't add much more value that what has all ready been discussed. But will add my experiences with you. 75 % of all the hunting I've done in my life have been on the Highveld in Mpumalanga. Stalking is a BIG challenge but successful some times. Since 2009 I've traded my Wolverine boots for NB trainers. They are a sore eye compared to the ghillie top and camo pants, but they help me not to sound like a drunken elephant walking through the bush. Also they are way more comfortable when you had/have to walk the whole day in the field. Another thing I can add is to get fit before the hunting season (learned the hard way about wrong shoes and being unfit in one looong day) I usually stalk with the farm owner where I mostly hunt. I am very muzzle concious when he crawls in front of me. He tells me to load my rifle once we're close enough and moves to the side of me. In Northern KZN where I've hunted the rest of my time in the field wind is always a big factor. Pepper ticks is actually the biggest factor and proper preparation is essential (yet another tough lesson learned the hard way). One December while visiting family in n-kzn my brother in law took me on a spot and stalk bow hunt. Several stalks were unsuccessful until he said we should try something different. Instead of crawling, we sat flat bottomed on our asses and shuffled along the ground. We stalked a herd of Impala through the thick green grass and everytime the very alert herd of Impalas heard/smelt/saw something, we just sat still as a rock. This was our most successful stalk and got into bow range +- 15 m without spooking the herd. Unfortunately there were no suitable rams and we aborted the stalk. I have no trophy photo, no memories of dining on fresh Impala liver but will always remember this hunt

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kudustalker View Post
    I guess nkosi doesn't argue about that fact, but rather that, due to the more efficient method of stalking, he will probably come closer to his quarry, leading to a more secure shot in which little doubt will be left as to whether the shot can be taken comfortably, probably meaning the animal will be downed immediately. Its also his preference.

Only reason I'm sceptical of this approach, especially in the bushveld, are the huge camelthorns that have gotten stuck in my hunting boots. Think I might try and employ this method of stalking this year, but walk in boots and take them off when quarry is spotted to try and come as close as possible. Probably also feels mote authentic if you think about it? In touch with nature and all those other romantic things?

Since we are on topic I might as well explain to you how this works.

Firstly there is the case of momentum, the faster you move the more momentum you create, aka more noise while walking. Hunters tend to stalk hastily, barefoot slows them down.

Secondly, whenever you step on your foot, or the other is lifted off for the next step, all the weight of the body is on a small surface. Now when wearing a shoe with a hard sole, that weight is focused on whatever object is beneath it, so if there is a twig, the force breaks the twig. Now the average humans feet is soft, should he step barefoot on the twig then his tissue will mold around it, possibly avoiding the break and any harsh sounds.

Now that sounds good and all, but it's far from normal, the real hunters of old who lived off the land in Africa had soles just as hard as that on your shoes. The reason for this is firstly to keep them mobile in an unforgiving environment, and secondly to run after prey(or away) if needed, I mentioned rapidly shifting position. Many hunters need to take a follow up shot, if you have to reposition rapidly when doing so you will hardly be looking where you step, with possible dire consequences.

Thirdly for those with soft feet, they tend to look where they put them, for reasons. Now nature teaches us just how to stalk if you watch closely. Watch as a cat stalk his prey, he never looks away from the prey, the reason for this is movement is the first giveaway of a predator, so he needs to monitor his prey and freeze the second his prey looks in his directly. So when Koos looks where to put his feet, his prey is looking for movement in the bush, unless he monitors their head positions he is spotted. Only when stalking behind good cover can you look often where to step, because you cannot give away your position with movement.

I prefer people keep their shoes on, if you want to muffle the sound wear a soft fabric around your shoes that performs the same function as a bare foot.

Ja, there are one or two places I have hunted where I thought shoes may have been better than barefoot over the years, but the vast majority of times I have never felt worse off barefoot.

My feet have become used to rocks, thorns etc, not that thorns don't cause me issues from time to time, but I can run as fast as someone with shoes when I need to, whether that be in the bushvled or in the berg.

Actually the worst day of walking I ever had was not in the bush, but on tarmac - I missed my lift home from varsity and started walking home (35km), trying to hitch a ride as I went. It was February in Durban and I only managed to get two lifts that day. One from the university to the freeway, about 7km, and the last one about 8km from home, the rest of the time I was walking along the edge of the freeway on the tar. I really thought that I would get blisters that day, but I didnt.

My feet still felt like they were cooking when I fell asleep that night.

As far as the condition of the rifle goes, does everyone still abide by the no loaded rifle whilst climbing through fences rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

Firstly there is the case of momentum, the faster you move the more momentum you create, aka more noise while walking. Hunters tend to stalk hastily, barefoot slows them down.

Now that sounds good and all, but it's far from normal, the real hunters of old who lived off the land in Africa had soles just as hard as that on your shoes. The reason for this is firstly to keep them mobile in an unforgiving environment, and secondly to run after prey(or away) if needed, I mentioned rapidly shifting position. Many hunters need to take a follow up shot, if you have to reposition rapidly when doing so you will hardly be looking where you step, with possible dire consequences.

Thirdly for those with soft feet, they tend to look where they put them, for reasons. Now nature teaches us just how to stalk if you watch closely. Watch as a cat stalk his prey, he never looks away from the prey, the reason for this is movement is the first giveaway of a predator, so he needs to monitor his prey and freeze the second his prey looks in his directly. So when Koos looks where to put his feet, his prey is looking for movement in the bush, unless he monitors their head positions he is spotted. Only when stalking behind good cover can you look often where to step, because you cannot give away your position with movement.

I prefer people keep their shoes on, if you want to muffle the sound wear a soft fabric around your shoes that performs the same function as a bare foot.
    Hi Messor

No, when I am close at the end of the stalk I watch the animal, not my feet. When you are barefoot and being slow and careful, you can feel what is beneath your feet before finally making contact with the ground. On a few hunts I have stepped on a thorn or sharp rock etc at the critical moment as I am preparing to shoot, but just ignore it until I have shot and secured the animal. One can also shuffle or push one's feet forward when you are close, depending on the terrain, which largely avoids issues with thorns or dry twigs etc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

Secondly, whenever you step on your foot, or the other is lifted off for the next step, all the weight of the body is on a small surface. Now when wearing a shoe with a hard sole, that weight is focused on whatever object is beneath it, so if there is a twig, the force breaks the twig. Now the average humans feet is soft, should he step barefoot on the twig then his tissue will mold around it, possibly avoiding the break and any harsh sounds.

Glad that you could explain to me exactly how it works. And I understand all the points you have made, but linking to the other responses the barefoot or slippers part is only intended for the stalk, not the walking to spot/search for the quarry. And as your rightly pointed out, it does inhibit momentum/movement and forces you to slow down... And I'm sure you will agree, Stalking slowly is the most effective way of stalking, and I could use the same analogy as the cat you used... Only moving.. And very slowly if and when he sees his prey isn't looking.

Your second point has its merits, but spoiling a shot at 40-70 meters, I would argue, has little to do with your feet, and much more to do with your shooting ability. Taking into account the terrain, it also means a follow up shot in dense bush is near impossible after you have made the shot as the prey disappears in milliseconds. In open terrain this is very valid and i will probably not go barefoot stalking there.

The last point is very valid and I actually want to hike a few times, taking off my boots to experience what it feels like before employing this tactic when hunting.

I am actually dissapointed that you haven't given a few examples of days in your youth where you could point out whether this barefoot method failed or worked. By comment on a previous thread I would imagine that you and your brother perhaps tried this when shooting springbuck with the 22?

I haven't hunted and stalked in this manner as of yet and most of my comments are obviously theoretical. Please correct where I have missed the whole idea.

User

There is one thing you must understand very well, sound and noise is in no way an unnatural thing in the animal kingdom.
    All animals that walks in thick bush makes noise, especially animals that walks in herds or big animals that breaks bushes.

That DOES NOT cause a normal animal to run away, all animals tries to preserve energy, it wont just run from any sound.
    Every hunter who's spend a lot of time in nature knows animals hide, until they sense they are detected or when you really come too close, then they sprint away. I mean people walking in the veld, speaking to each other, a kudu hears them coming from a mile away.

That kudu tries to hide from you first, that is why people seldom see them. But it's also the reason why many hunters are suddenly surprised when such a kudu breaks away, I mean it heard you from a long way off, it only runs when it feels the proximity is too close.

Now it's hearing performs only one function, letting the animal know either another antelope or a predator is close, not identification, detection. After hearing you it must try and make sense of what you are, either by smelling you or by visually identifying you. Obviously if it's humans talking the game is over, but you just walking through the bush does not give your identity away.

We try and make no noise, so that the animal does not know our presence first, and tries to identify us as friend or foe.
    I mean on all our game farms there are farm workers tending to the farm, and they of course always makes a noise of biblical proportions. And, the animals could not be bothered less by their noise.

You have to treat the target animal by it's dominant senses, springbok is sight, kudu is hearing, smell is a given for most.

The trick about hunting animals like kudu in the bush is identifying them before they do you.
    But I guess you know that, Mr Kudustalker :)

User

And I guess that summary is what stalking boils down to: hiding yourself in an audible and visual way. Hunting against the wind is a given.

Your points make sense, I guess I was quite intruiged with the idea of barefoot hunting, which by the way I haven't totally discarded as a potential technique of stalking. But the noise reduction achieved by this method only helps up to a certain point and if you are not used to this way of stalking, it could lead you to not focus on your visual position in relation to the quarry.

On the topic of this thread, would you consider voorsit as a method of 'stalking' if no other alternative is available? How would one go about positioning oneself for an optimal view of trekking game? Is it farm specific or are there a few go-to's when finding the perfect spot?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kudustalker View Post
    On the topic of this thread, would you consider voorsit as a method of 'stalking' if no other alternative is available? How would one go about positioning oneself for an optimal view of trekking game? Is it farm specific or are there a few go-to's when finding the perfect spot?
    Voorsit does not involve any other skill other than shooting, so it cannot be any method of stalking.

I must admit it is a way of hunting, but not one that tests personal skill, nor fair chase, just chase.

So if we discuss this you will be derailing your own thread.

User

Now I only had the one hunt but a couple of things stood out for me. Plenty has already been mentioned here.
    The Thursday when we walked, we covered plenty of ground, the Saturday, we did not cover that much but we saw more animals. We wanted to spot the animals and then "stalk" them. I did realize that when we walked slower the Saturday, we made less noise, I must also say that the wind and sun was against us most of the time. So the slower you walk the more you actually see.

Then, I bought myself some Wildebees boots, they flat-sole with no thread, they are very comfortable. Jacques had his Solomon's on the one walk, and they where very noisy compared to my boots, the other days he had his flat-sole boots, they had some grip thread, but not as bad as the Solomon's and he walked much softer. Then when the two trackers where walking with me, the one had boots on with flat soles, with very small ripple thread, the other one had tekkies on. The one with the flat sole boots made less noise than the one with the tekkies.

So I will only wear my Wildebeest boots, when going hunting and stalking

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast