Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Your stalking methods

Another one that is discussed a bit around the camp fire:

Do you freeze when you think game has spotted you, keep moving without looking in their direction, or duck and hide?

My experience as far as this goes is that it varies depending on the game and/or distance from the game and/or terrain and/or how much the game has been hunted.

When I first had to pay for hunting, I was a student with very little money and knew of this one farm where the farmer would sell cheaper hunting at the end of the season, so that is how I would reduce my hunting costs. By the time I was hunting on the farm, the game was extremely skittish and petrified of two legged creatures, so if they saw you, even at a fairly long distance, they would run.

On other hunts where there has been less shooting pressure, or where the game seems more accustomed to people, I would either just keep walking without changing direction or pace or looking directly at the game, or freeze if I thought it was necessary.

User

Default Re: Your stalking methods

I have found that besides always having the wind in your face, all animals make noises walking in the bush, its only when they either see you or smell you as a human that they bolt! I use a leafy face net and this seems to confuse antelope in identifying what you are when you are standing still. The face net also takes away face shine from the sun.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4