Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Storage permit or dealer?

Hi guys my brother is buying a few of my firearms and I would like to know what is the best way of doing this.

Firearms involved are Semi-auto rifle, 2 x hunting rifles and a handgun. He has DSS status, competencies and firearms in all these categories already.

Option 1 - Should he apply for a storage permit for each firearm and hand in apps for them, how long does it take to get a storage permit?

Option 2 - Or should I surrender firearms to dealer they take it into dealer stock and he applies for the firearms from dealer. This will obviously incur some charge for storage.

I am more inclined to go for option 1 if there is no waiting period involved for me to get the firearms to him.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Storage permit or dealer?

If it is your brother, wouldnt it be better for you to keep it in your safe?
    Then you can still take the guns and your brother to the range and let him shoot them?

If you go storage permit he can get it done with his DFO when he applies for the lic, his DFO does it locally, no waiting period.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
    If it is your brother, wouldnt it be better for you to keep it in your safe?
    Then you can still take the guns and your brother to the range and let him shoot them?

If you go storage permit he can get it done with his DFO when he applies for the lic, his DFO does it locally, no waiting period.
    I am immigrating and they are coming to pack our container this Friday and I am taking my rifle safe over with me. So kind of need it sorted by tomorrow.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Black-ops View Post
    I am immigrating and they are coming to pack our container this Friday and I am taking my rifle safe over with me. So kind of need it sorted by tomorrow.
    If you want it sorted that quick, a storage permit won't be in time, so a dealer will be your only option by the sound of it.

Default Storage permit or dealer?

I stand to be corrected - for a storage permit the applicant should be in possession of a competency certificate in respect of the firearm stores - I trust your brother already has same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by DeVilliers View Post
    If you want it sorted that quick, a storage permit won't be in time, so a dealer will be your only option by the sound of it.
    I thought as much, thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by BandK View Post
    I stand to be corrected - for a storage permit the applicant should be in possession of a competency certificate in respect of the firearm stores - I trust your brother already has same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He does as per my OP.

User

Time limit is dependent on DFO, go with your brother and see his DFO.

I have heard of these taking 10mins

User

Storage permit

Much easier and cuts out the middleman. And you just take them to him and its all sorted

User

Thanks Andycap and PDH, I will have him phone his DFO today and find out if he can help us as a matter of urgency. Unfortunately when immigrating there are certain things that need to happen at certain times and when it all falls in place, it leaves you very little time to get your life sorted before getting on the plane.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast