Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Storage permit or dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    Hi guys. I need some advice and this thread seemed to come closest to dealing with the issue I'm facing.

In short, I need to understand the legally available methods of storing one's firearms other than at a gunshop, if you are planning to be outside the country for a long period of time. Can someone explain to me what a storage permit is, and what it allows the "storer" to do.

Can you designate someone to store your firearms for you for a multi-year period, if he has the required safe and the required competency certificates?

Thanks in advance. This is quite urgent.
    Max of 1 year IIRC, although I do not think the act actually stipulates it.

Person must have "a firearm licence", not necessarily a required competency certificate.

You put it in their safe, you take it out again, they can do zero with it

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    Max of 1 year IIRC, although I do not think the act actually stipulates it.

Person must have "a firearm licence", not necessarily a required competency certificate.

You put it in their safe, you take it out again, they can do zero with it
    Thanks Cockroach. Can someone confirm the 1 year time limit. If it indeed applies, I guess this option won't do me much good. I checked an excerpt from the Act, and indeed, as you say, there does not appear to be a reference to a time limit involved, other than that you have to specify the expected timeframe on the 539 form.

Yes it is a one year storage permit, you can then get another storage permit after the year has lapsed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboi95 View Post
    Yes it is a one year storage permit, you can then get another storage permit after the year has lapsed.

Thanks. Can this permit be renewed remotely, or would one need to be in the country to renew it?

User

There is no time limit. They are usually issued for a year but that is not the maximum. Explain the situation to your DFO and ask for the period required.

Remember that usually the storage permit is requested due to the FA being sold so maybe that is why they issue for a year as the licensing process seldom takes longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Move your safe to the new location, do change of address, keep keys in your possession and you are sorted for multi year.

Quote Originally Posted by Anomander View Post
    Thanks. Can this permit be renewed remotely, or would one need to be in the country to renew it?
    I believe you will have to be here as the permit is issued to you directly.

The CFR or your DFO does not issue you a permit per se. You write a letter giving permission to someone to store your firearm which your DFO endorses. Its a good idea to make a statement in your letter about every section in the act or regulations that pertains to firearm storage. For example, "I declare that Mr. X's safe is SABS 953-1 approved and mounted according to SABS xxxx", "Mr. X takes notice that he is not allowed to handle the firearms according to FCA x.xx".

Add the dates for which you need to store the firearms in your letter. Make copies of your licences, your storer's licences and competency certificates, pictures of the safe from the inside and outside and remember that you and the storer sign the letter. Take all this to the DFO and hope for the best. It worked for me once.

As to what the storer can legally do with you firearms, nothing, he may not touch them. You put it in his safe and you take it out again.

Thanks guys.

User

Default Storage permit or dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by wernswa View Post
    The CFR or your DFO does not issue you a permit per se. You write a letter giving permission to someone to store your firearm which your DFO endorses. Its a good idea to make a statement in your letter about every section in the act or regulations that pertains to firearm storage. For example, "I declare that Mr. X's safe is SABS 953-1 approved and mounted according to SABS xxxx", "Mr. X takes notice that he is not allowed to handle the firearms according to FCA x.xx".

Add the dates for which you need to store the firearms in your letter. Make copies of your licences, your storer's licences and competency certificates, pictures of the safe from the inside and outside and remember that you and the storer sign the letter. Take all this to the DFO and hope for the best. It worked for me once.

As to what the storer can legally do with you firearms, nothing, he may not touch them. You put it in his safe and you take it out again.
    Not correct. Storage permit is a SAPS 539. No need for elaborate motivation.
    https://www.saps.gov.za/services/fla...glish/e539.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast